Rick and shaft flex

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

After he won the US Open, Michael Campbell did a clinic for Callaway at Bearwood Lakes. At the time, Callaway was promoting shaft fitting, so after Campbell worked his way through the bag, he got to the driver and said he was now going to show the effect of shaft flex and the importance of fitting. He hit his normal driver, a couple of beauties straight down the middle. Then the Callaway rep put a ladies flex shaft in his driver. Boom, he hit exactly the same drive 2 or 3 times. He had to really throw his shoulder at it to hit one offline.

Very good players can adjust their swings, possibly imperceptibly, to adjust to the different feel and clubhead position, and have much more range for what they can use.

If you want to see the effect of flex, get a 15 handicapper who hits their 5 iron 160 yards, probably with regular flex. Stick an extra stiff shaft in their 5 iron and they won't be able to get it in the air at all.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I did a Mizuno fit a while ago, when it came to the driver we struggled to find one I liked. He asked me what I currently used, I told him & he gave me a club. I hit a few and liked it, didn't look at the shaft closely. he then swapped the shaft out for another. Liked that too. He did another swap and that was fine. He then put the figures up; nothing to choose between them, all good.

The shaft was the one I told him I liked, in regular, stiff & extra stiff, all similar weights.

Jason McNiven at Golf Principles says that getting the right weight is more important than getting the right flex.

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/features/equipment-features/2018/june/review-shaft-weight/

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did a Mizuno fit a while ago, when it came to the driver we struggled to find one I liked. He asked me what I currently used, I told him & he gave me a club. I hit a few and liked it, didn't look at the shaft closely. he then swapped the shaft out for another. Liked that too. He did another swap and that was fine. He then put the figures up; nothing to choose between them, all good.

The shaft was the one I told him I liked, in regular, stiff & extra stiff, all similar weights.

Jason McNiven at Golf Principles says that getting the right weight is more important than getting the right flex.

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/features/equipment-features/2018/june/review-shaft-weight/

Indeed. There is a trend among some fitters of putting decent mid-handicap club players in quite light but quite stiff shafts, e.g. 90g X-flex irons, 50g X-flex driver shafts. I have NS Pro 980 iron shafts but towards the end of the season went to a 70g driver shaft, but I am a bit strange like that.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Indeed. There is a trend among some fitters of putting decent mid-handicap club players in quite light but quite stiff shafts, e.g. 90g X-flex irons, 50g X-flex driver shafts. I have NS Pro 980 iron shafts but towards the end of the season went to a 70g driver shaft, but I am a bit strange like that.

Is that not what Ping used to do with the ZZ Lite shaft in the days when shaft "choice" was steel or graphite?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This is something I am about to try.

I normally play about about a 115-120 grammes in regular (much lighter and I get the pull hooks). Just bought a secondhand set of of Pings with CFS stiff in them.
Last set of the clubs the fitter wanted me to go to stiff shafts but I could not convince myself.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is something I am about to try.

I normally play about about a 115-120 grammes in regular (much lighter and I get the pull hooks). Just bought a secondhand set of of Pings with CFS stiff in them.
Last set of the clubs the fitter wanted me to go to stiff shafts but I could not convince myself.
I went graphite and light in my irons. I was suffering with my elbow and some stuff. I hit the recoil shaft and it was just amazing and my speed was up and flight was really nice and high. The shaft selector said 15 shafts suited me, I am completely average but this shaft just was head and shoulders above any of the others.