Resort Courses - poor condition?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The thread about course conditions made me think about resort courses v. club courses. We have four resort courses that I can think of locally, Slaley Hall, Matfen Hall, Linden Hall & Rockliffe. Of the four Rockliffe has always been in the best order. The other three have been rough around the edges with the impression that not enough money is being spent on maintenance.

Is this a common problem with resort Courses? I've heard a few horror stories of resorts accepting fees for courses where the watering system was out of order or the course was completely unkempt. I suppose that, running a business for profit, every pound spent on course maintenance is a pound off the bottom line.

Any experiences other forummers have had worth sharing?

D

Deleted member 15344

Footfall

A resort course in the main needs the stay and play footfall to keep it open

So regardless of weather etc the course will be open , and the tee will be blocked solid from dawn till dusk

The courses will prob get minimal care and work due to the traffic

But on the whole most resort courses are decent enough for what people are going there for

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The thread about course conditions made me think about resort courses v. club courses. We have four resort courses that I can think of locally, Slaley Hall, Matfen Hall, Linden Hall & Rockliffe. Of the four Rockliffe has always been in the best order. The other three have been rough around the edges with the impression that not enough money is being spent on maintenance.

Is this a common problem with resort Courses? I've heard a few horror stories of resorts accepting fees for courses where the watering system was out of order or the course was completely unkempt. I suppose that, running a business for profit, every pound spent on course maintenance is a pound off the bottom line.

Any experiences other forummers have had worth sharing?

Even if run not 'for profit' does the same formula not apply to members courses. Income V Expenditure at a members course could end in a negative sum

Either way some resort courses will be run better than others (just like members courses) On a smaller scale & not in UK, I see it here too. Resort courses with bigger budgets/deeper pockets & higher standards etc are regularly a cut above those with tighter purse strings
I'm playing Anahita tomorrow, they never seem to 'scrimp' and I know it'll be in tip top condition, while others are showing signs of the lack of tourists for the last two years

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it is very hard to judge courses by the state they are in at this time of year.

Very wet winter, very dry but still cold spring. Grass worn out and grass not growing yet would be very common. No point in divot filling because it is too cold and dry for the seed to germinate.

I know where I play we are still suffering from reduced green staff numbers due to lockdown and simple things like no divot mix boxes being left on the tees.