Removing loose impediments on the green when just off the green

noble78

Head Pro
Visit site
I have had a look in the rules but couldn't see anything, so thought I'd ask on here.

Are you allowed to remove loose impediments in the line of putt if your ball is just on the fringe?
My playing partner removed some sand that was in his line of putt and the opponents said it was a foul.

Wasn't sure myself but I thought it was ok to do that myself :confused:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
No it's a 2 shot penalty if your off the green, Rory fell foul of this in Dubai last season, was putting from off the green and brushed sand out of the way. So your in good company. :)

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
No it's a 2 shot penalty if your off the green, Rory fell foul of this in Dubai last season, was putting from off the green and brushed sand out of the way. So your in good company. :)

The sand Rory brushed away was not on the green - it was on the fringe IIRC

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have had a look in the rules but couldn't see anything, so thought I'd ask on here.

Are you allowed to remove loose impediments in the line of putt if your ball is just on the fringe?
My playing partner removed some sand that was in his line of putt and the opponents said it was a foul.

Wasn't sure myself but I thought it was ok to do that myself :confused:

you have actually answered your own question - but possibly without appreciating it :)

sand is a LI only when it's on a green......

you can remove LI's on the green or TTG

question answered!

whether your ball is on the green, or off, is irrelevant to the status of the sand on the green.

noble78

Head Pro
Visit site
you have actually answered your own question - but possibly without appreciating it :)

question answered!

whether your ball is on the green, or off, is irrelevant to the status of the sand on the green.

So you can remove anything classed as a LI that is on the green, even if your not on the green. So basically if there are leaves on the green near the hole and I am chipping the ball towards the hole I can remove the leaves before I take my shot?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So you can remove anything classed as a LI that is on the green, even if your not on the green. So basically if there are leaves on the green near the hole and I am chipping the ball towards the hole I can remove the leaves before I take my shot?

Yes

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

question answered!

If you can remove loose impediments on the green or through the green why was Rory penalised?