Reflections of your golfing year

Faldono1fan

Club Champion
Visit site
Apologies if this has already been posted as a new topic already.

Less than a year ago (November 18th 2016 to be exact) I was involved in a bad car accident. To be honest I was lucky to get away with the injuries I did, but I broke my Pelvis, right hip, upper right arm and a couple of fingers in my right hand for good measure. Golfing wise I thought this year would probably be a write off which I was annoyed about because 2016 was a great year for me. I got down to 6 handicap for the first time at the age of 50 having played for most of my golfing life off 8-10. I won a board comp with my brother and reached the final of the singles KO and lost on the 37th hole of the final. I finished the year off 6.3.

When I had the accident I couldn't walk and thought to myself that flexibility would be an issue. I started putting on the carpet at home as soon as I was able to (Around February/March). Then when I was able to drive again I started putting and chipping. To my amazement I was able to start trying to hit wedge shots from around mid March and slowly started to move through the bag. I started playing a few holes and worked my way up to 9 holes. To be honest I wasn't hitting it far, but I was straight.

I started entering competitions and clearly remember sending my brother a text saying "I know this is crazy, but do you want to enter the doubles KO". I can't post his reply, but he agreed. The first few comps went by and I unsurprisingly struggled and went up to 6.5 and had 7 handicap. Then I played in a bogey comp and had a small cut back to 6.3. I was just considering going to the handicap sec to see if anything could be done, but that went out the window. By the time I had completed the May medal it had completely gone out the window. All the practice putting paid off and I shot a 76 net 69 and the CSS was 74 so I got cut a shot and achieved CAT 1 status for the first time ever!

Incredibly I got invited to play for the 3rd team and represented my club winning 1 and losing 1. Then the icing on the cake came last weekend where I played in the final of the doubles KO and we beat the club captain and his partner at the 35th hole. I am not ashamed to say I was a bit emotional and sat back that night with a couple of beers and reflected on how far I had come in such a short space of time.

I am back up to 6 for the winter, but exactly the same handicap as I was this time last year.

Just thought I would share this if anybody else is unfortunate enough to suffer bad injuries and golf is your main hobby then it is possible to get back to full fitness in a relatively short space of time. I didn't think I would be able to even walk 18 holes this year let alone play and be successful over 35 in the same day.

Hope you all had years you can be proud of too.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You must feel elated, and not without good reason. I should stop moaning about my aches and pains after reading your story and just get on with it 😀

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
First thing to say is well done, and fair play! Going through major trauma like that and being able to bounce back so quickly is very impressive. It's amazing what can happen in this game when you drop your expectations. When your just happy to be out there playing the game the results seem to follow.

My year hasn't been the best. Not enough time to practice, so usually the only chance I have had to hit a ball is turning up the morning of a copy. Then I was expecting to be competitive and as a result getting frustrated. Putting has been terrible all season which I have spent any time I have had trying to resolve.

I have played my best rounds all year when the conditions were the hardest. Strong winds and a little bit of rain and I have flourished. I have put this down to lowering my expectations and having to concentrate more. I won't be playing much at all next summer so I am not setting any goals for next year.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Congrats!

In a word, frustrating.

Have always been a mid 80's player. Made a few tweaks in the spring as started duffing shots and was shooting in 90's. It all came together very quickly and within a couple of weeks I was consistently hitting mid 70's. Improving 8-10 shots so quickly was a bit of a shock, but fun.
That continued for about 10 weeks and I was seriously getting close to breaking par for the first time ever.

Then I lost it again, gone back up to mid 80's and that has been where I have played for last couple months.

So, I know it's there somewhere, but it is frustrating.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
9,18, 27 and 36 hole records round the par 3 course

-3, level, level +3.

Never going to break those me thinks! Bar the 18 hole one.

Only played 3 full 18s and broke 90 twice.

Pretty much, bar the lack of full 18 golf, it’s been a brilliant year.

Only every had one bad year and a couple of average years since starting in 2010, most years have something hugely positive that makes it all worth it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Excellent read, and congrats on a great year’s golf.

Dec 22nd 2005 I was hit by a car, and I was on the pavement. I had a brief ride on the bonnet, hitting the windscreen then we went through a dry stone wall together. I could brag that I’ve written off a Citroen Saxo but I think the wall takes the credit for that.

I managed to hit my drive at the Captain’s drive in April, but didn’t play in the comp. My handicap crept up from 5 to 7 before heading back down to 4. Like you I had a 4 ball k”out win, although I had to wait a year.

Since then I’ve had some great years but I’m due a back op to correct a few ongoing issues. The May not always be pretty but it’s still good fun.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Great story and well done! Had a good year, dropping 2.5 shots off of the handicap so pleased with that. Need to work on tee shots to take it to the next level but overall pleased