Recent lesson and swing videos

Flarkey

Club Champion
Visit site
Hello,

I recently had a lesson with a pro and he videoed my golf swing. I thought I would share it with you and the point that the pro cam up with. First a bit about me, i am a 14 handicapper who plays regularly but not very ofter (about 2 per month). I am now 35 and have been playing since I was about 9 years old. Was off about 15 at the age of 18 but I stopped playing golf for about 10 year after going to uni and discovering my other vices.

Anyway, on with the show.... (2 shots with an 8-iron, approx 140yards)

[video=youtube;8X7A5-4C3eU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X7A5-4C3eU[/video]

[video=youtube;SsfU_f_8HWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=SsfU_f_8HWE[/video]

The pro thought my swing was pretty good but he had the following points...

1. Feet turned out too much. Rather than having my feet at the 11 & 1 clock positions i should consider having them at 12 (or at least the right foot at 12) to give better resistance on the back swing.

2. I have a bit of a tendancy to top the ball or hit it thin. The pro said that my down swing plane was a bit of a sweeping motion (i rarely take much of a divot) and that to improve I should try and hit down on the ball to get 'compression' . I understand what he is saying, but here's my question to the experts - how do I do this?

What drills are there to aid compression? What is enough compression?

I was also surprised to see so much movement in my head and upper body in my backswing. I make a lot effort to keep my head still and not lift it - but in the video there is a definate move to the rear. It even starts before I move. @bobmac - Is this my 'trigger'...?

Anyway, your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Flarkey

Last edited:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Excellent swing IMHO. :)

Dtl vid fundamentals looks ok to me.

Face on there is a bit of sway and lower body a bit floppy. At impact the hands are level with ball...need to be in front for the short irons. This is part of the compression bit.

You can do a quick search on this forum area about compression as it was talked about recently.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
First, you have quite a nice swing.

You have noticed some of the things that you could improve a bit on like the amount of sway in your backswing.
You could also do with turning your left hip back more in the early part of the downswing, at impact I would like to see your hips more open to the target, this will also help you to strike down more into the ball.

I hope this is helpful.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
As Brian say. Nice swing, if you turn rather than sway in the backswing. It would be better though and give a more downward swing path. Dont worry to much about sweeping the ball rather than taking a divet, as long as you get a clean contact.