RC Spectator blinded

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sadly it appears the lady hit by Koepka's ball at the Ryder Cup has lost her sight in one eye.

Unfortunately the frequency that spectators at Tour events get hit seems IMO to have increased. Press reports suggests she might be claiming from the organises for her medical treatment and I'd have thought that with the rise in the number of times it happens she might have a good argument.

My understanding is that a golfer is responsible for damages arising from hitting the ball. I'm not sure how the professional game can side-step this responsibility; even if legally they can.

At a minimum let's hope the PGA's 'bomb-it-and hope' brigade think twice before using the spectators as a backstop to avoid OoB!

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Terrible news, but anybody who goes to a golf tournament knows there will be little white rocks flying about at 170mph and position themselves as close as possible to the action so know the risks. Everybody wants to blame but these are just horrible accidents unfortunately. If there was no fore shout then she has a case though.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Motor sports events have a disclaimer on entry that states the sport is dangerous and the public enter at their own risk. Do golf events have the same? That said if it transpires there was no fore shout I hope she sues koepka for every penny she can get

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Motor sports events have a disclaimer on entry that states the sport is dangerous and the public enter at their own risk. Do golf events have the same? That said if it transpires there was no fore shout I hope she sues koepka for every penny she can get

From what i've read, it would appear she is sueing the host venue.

Pretty sure on every tee when the shot was wayward a steward was waving a flag in the direction of flight. It's a horrible accident, but that's exactly what it is. Imo, hopefully she'll get some money due to liability insurance, but i don't think Koepka should be held accountable.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Motor sports events have a disclaimer on entry that states the sport is dangerous and the public enter at their
Motor sports events have a disclaimer on entry that states the sport is dangerous and the public enter at their own risk.

A good brief would tear these statements to pieces in court and have done so in the past, where there's blame there's a claim.

D

Deleted member 18588

A shout of "Fore" is, apparently, pretty pointless.

I read that at the distance involved and with surrounding ambient noise such a shout would not have been heard.

One outcome of this very sad incident could be galleries being placed further from the action in future.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A shout of "Fore" is, apparently, pretty pointless.

I read that at the distance involved and with surrounding ambient noise such a shout would not have been heard.

One outcome of this very sad incident could be galleries being placed further from the action in future.

Koepka said something similar. He hits it 300yds+. With all the noise from the crowds there how could it be heard? You have to look for the flags and hope for the best.

I take your last sentence on board but then think how far these guys hit it and how far wide they can go at times. Mickelson, Woods, Watson stand out for going big right or left at times. Even look at Speith when he won the Open, he was practically on a different course with that infamous tee shot. You can't move spectators back that far, it is impractical.

I've been to two pro tournaments and at the most recent one, The British Masters at Close House, on so many holes spectators, me included, stood specifically in the area where tee shots would land so that we could see the players up close taking their second shots. I'd like to think I was smarter than many as I allowed for roll out so any ball hitting me would have just about reached my toes but plenty where prepared to take a full on wack. Our risk, we knew what we were doing. This is a terrible incident but spectators know, or should know, the risk.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've been at tournaments where shouts of fore have been 'passed down' so people in the landing zone are aware. Any pro who fails to shout should be taken to court and sued for every penny. Not shouting is inexcusable.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think there was warning shouts for that shot, but not from the player. If I recall the player gave a visual indication of a wayward shot with his arm & club outstretched to the left

Hope the loss of sight is just temporary for her

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does anyone know what players are told to do? I presume there must be an official, consistent approach to this. My impression is they hold out an arm to show the direction and marshalls wave flags and warn further up the way. This saves constant shouts of fore across the course.

I know we have people on here who have been marshalls, others will know caddies or pro's. What is the official approach?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Terrible accident, it affected Koepka on the day and unfortunately will affect this lady for life; it does indeed highlight a very real danger of attending events, but apart from the loss of sight in one eye and quality of life bring one issue, she absolutely (in my opinion) should not also suffer the financial loss of having to meet medical bills etc. We may know the dangers of attending live golf or any sporting event, but nobody should think this type of accident as purely collateral damage; if 'we' (and I mean golfers) know there's a risk that you could get hit by a golf ball whilst spectating then the organizers also know; if this is accepted then is the risk increased or decreased by standing between 270-330 yards from the tee box? If knock as an accepted risk what is the risk mitigation by the organisers etc? I still acknowledge this is an accident, but is there potential for accidents like this to be avoided? Without detrimentally affecting enjoyment etc. It's a tricky situation, in all honesty I just hope her treatment / recovery is made as easy as possible by whatever means possible.

D

Deleted member 18121

Just watched it on Sky Sports and there are two very loud shouts of Fore - so from the tee box there is nothing else that can be done.

the way I read it they are trying to say that course officials should have done more..... unless the shout of fore is somehow shouted all the way down the hole I honestly cant see what else they could have done, I'd hate to say that she knew the risks and was just unlucky, because she's had a life changing event, but its a freak accident.

Maybe you should take out insurance as a spectator of sport incase something like this happens.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Something like this has been on the cards for ages. Pat Perez hit a lads cheek bone with his drive, but the lad was lucky and only suffered cuts and bruises.
I would still make the spectator ropes OOB. That would control the waywardness of far too many shots.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cricket is in a similar situation. 20-20 matches now have balls flying into the crowds every few minutes. Do you put giant nets up? No, you can't. Equally you need spectators and they want a decent view.

Whilst this is a terrible situation it is a calculated risk taken by every spectator.