Radar Wedges

The Fader

Visit site
These caught my eye whilst browsing Ebay. I really like simple unfussy wedges and these fit the bill perfectly.

Further research found them on the Hippo Golf website (a blast from the past) which claims the heads are forged in Japan from soft 1020 carbon steel and assembled in the UK.

Decent shafts - KBS Tour and Lamkin grips.

Any forumers with any knowledge or experience of them?

Thanks in advance.

The Fader

Visit site
No experience of them but I do like the look of the blades they have listed.

And great to see Hippo on the market again.

The blades do look tasty especially at £299

Now if my handicap was just 10 shots lower..... But lesson on Thursday night be a small step in the right direction...

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The Radar irons look like they have come straight out of the Kyoei forging house....exactly the same form factor as the old Vega VM01 muscle back irons which originate from the Kyoei forge. There is a set of Kyoei wedges for sale on ebay that appear to have exactly the same form factor as the Radar wedges.

Kyoei are a major Japanese forging house and if these Radar products do originate from there then for the price they are a potential bargain. The only issue you might have is with any potential sell on value for what is essentially an unknown brand.

Wouldnt surprise me if Hippo have sourced of a load of excess base blank club heads, maybe given them a little grind, polish and a simple stamp with the Radar logo.

Last edited:

The Fader

Visit site
The Radar irons look like they have come straight out of the Kyoei forging house....exactly the same form factor as the old Vega VM01 muscle back irons which originate from the Kyoei forge. There is a set of Kyoei wedges for sale on ebay that appear to have exactly the same form factor as the Radar wedges.

Kyoei are a major Japanese forging house and if these Radar products do originate from there then for the price they are a potential bargain. The only issue you might have is with any potential sell on value for what is essentially an unknown brand.

Wouldnt surprise me if Hippo have sourced of a load of excess base blank club heads, maybe given them a little grind, polish and a simple stamp with the Radar logo.

Thanks Nick. Information much appreciated.

Resale value is not really a factor at £50 a stick - so may just take a punt.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I could be tempted but I am very fussy about the weight of my wedges. Find the Vokey a little on the heavy side so would have to swing one of these. That said a nice club and Hippo in the OP definitely a blast from the past