PXG 0311 GEN 2 irons

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I thought PXG gear cost a Kings ransom, so I’ve never looked at them, but I’ve seen irons for under £ 600. I’m guessing this is because they‘re a very distant model year? The GEN 4 were more than twice as expensive.
Are they good? Worth considering?

D

Deleted member 21445

Gen 4s do cost a King's ransom.

I've had Gen 2s and now just upgraded to Gen 3s.

Cliubs are always very personal but they are the best feeling irons through strike I have ever used.
Love them.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Nope, the 0211s came out last year.

PXG basically shocked the world (being dramatic) by going from being the most expensive manufacturer to throwing out sets at £95 a club.

Was booked in for a fitting but ended up getting cancelled by lockdown and I ordered a set of mizuno 921 forged instead.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I bought the gen 2 0311's (PW-5) off Clubhouse for under £600 in the January sales. They are really nice to hit and an improvement on my old maxfli irons that they replaced. PXG don't sell them on their own site anymore (they are listed in legacy section), so I assume Clubhouse have their old inventory to sell.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can’t comment on the gen 2’s sorry. I can comment on Gen3’s though.

Simply put they are the best feeling, most forgiving and lovely Clubs I’ve ever owned.

They are also very long with a gorgeous piercing trajectory.

My set is comprised of XP irons in 4/5, P irons in 6/7/8 and T irons in 9/W

I’ve just bought a new 3 iron in the XP model as I’ve found them so bloody easy to hit. Worth mentioning that the 3 iron is 17 degrees ?

Ludicrous really however regardless of the number stamped on the bottom, it’s essentially going to be my 2 iron replacement.

PXG’s pricing is very realistic bar a few models which cost eye watering amounts.

I’d honestly say anyone looking at new gear should try it as a brand. It really is superb and ive Owned and used Pretty much every OEM going plus a few niche brands like Vega etc.

My personal experience leads me to think I will be a PXG fan boy for a very long time. Even though I find the whole marketing around them comical at best ?

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Oh dear.....those replies were very positive. Think I'd better raid the piggy bank. I'm going to order today. Just gonna take an hour to decide on whether to get a set from 4i or 5i.

Thank you for the info.

Reactions: SyR

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Oh dear.....those replies were very positive. Think I'd better raid the piggy bank. I'm going to order today. Just gonna take an hour to decide on whether to get a set from 4i or 5i.

Thank you for the info.
Also have a look at the gen 2 0211 irons , only £75 a stick. I have had them for a year just changed to gen 3 0311P irons. Only reason I changed was I wanted a smaller head. The polymer inside the 0211 and 0311 gen 3 heads are exactly the same. Only difference is 0211 irons are cast.

I have a full bag of PXG clubs and I am very happy with them.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Also have a look at the gen 2 0211 irons , only £75 a stick. I have had them for a year just changed to gen 3 0311P irons. Only reason I changed was I wanted a smaller head. The polymer inside the 0211 and 0311 gen 3 heads are exactly the same. Only difference is 0211 irons are cast.

I have a full bag of PXG clubs and I am very happy with them.

Thanks. I was a bit hasty and ordered them. I researched them after I’d done so, which wasn’t very clever, and so I’ve ordered ‘P’ irons. The only choice was P or T at that price, but I’m wondering if these are suitable for a 18 h’capper? Still, I’m excited about them and they’re coming tomorrow ?

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks. I was a bit hasty and ordered them. I researched them after I’d done so, which wasn’t very clever, and so I’ve ordered ‘P’ irons. The only choice was P or T at that price, but I’m wondering if these are suitable for a 18 h’capper? Still, I’m excited about them and they’re coming tomorrow ?
I am a 20 handicap and ordered the 0311 gen 3 P irons and could hit them no problem. I only go 6 iron up as I have a 5 hybrid.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The P's are described as suitable for low to mid handicaps, while the T's are for low handicaps.

The heads were smaller in the face than I was expecting, but they have some chunk low down that gives confidence and weight. The P's seem a good compromise between the thickness/profile of the head and the forgiveness you get. The bounce on the longer irons gives confidence, the 5 iron for example still has 7 degrees of bounce.

D

Deleted member 21445

Im a scratch golfer and have P in the 5,6,7 and T in 8,9,W

P irons are defo NOT for 18 handicappers, The XP are for higher handicappers ?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im a scratch golfer and have P in the 5,6,7 and T in 8,9,W

P irons are defo NOT for 18 handicappers, The XP are for higher handicappers ?

Erm. Not sure I’d fully agree with that.

HC alone gives no indication of ball striking ability. In very general terms it ‘May’ but it’s not a guaranteed correlation.

He might be gash of the tee or unable to putt.

(At the OP, I am only attempting to highlight a flaw in this argument. I’m not actually saying you are cack with a putter etc.

But you might be ??.. )

Besides. The P are similar to many compact GI heads you see. They are still plenty chunky. Huge amounts of forgiveness.

Side by side my P’s are only fractionally shorter in blade length than my XP’s. Both are ludicrously forgiving. The Xp’s just go longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: SyR

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Erm. Not sure I’d fully agree with that.

HC alone gives no indication of ball striking ability. In very general terms it ‘May’ but it’s not a guaranteed correlation.

He might be gash of the tee or unable to putt.

(At the OP, I am only attempting to highlight a flaw in this argument. I’m not actually saying you are cack with a putter etc.

But you might be ??.. )

Besides. The P are similar to many compact GI heads you see. They are still plenty chunky. Huge amounts of forgiveness.

Side by side my P’s are only fractionally shorter in blade length than my XP’s. Both are ludicrously forgiving. The Xp’s just go longer.

Thanks for the advice. Played with the new clubs for the first time today and I think I’m gonna like them. Seem slightly smaller in the head than the Yonex clubs they’ve replaced, but it’s very marginal. And the extra weight in the head is noticeable. I’m not a great player and I hit plenty of poor shots today, as ever, but when I connected it felt great. Really good elevation and the forgiveness was clear. I wasn’t sure what was meant by this but the shots felt solid, even when they weren’t off the centre. I was very unsure after my purchase but I feel pleased now.?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always interesting when clubs are pitched at a certain handicap levels. I know some high teen handicappers that play "so called better player clubs" and similarly low handicappers playing game improver sets. Always an advocate of trying before you buy where possible.