Putting Stroke Analysis. ** Video Included**

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
As per post title, here is a (Very) short video of my putting stroke.

[video=youtube;W4R85pg85aM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4R85pg85aM[/video]

I don't really have any issues per say. Just curious to see if there are any areas that are lacking/require improvement.

The video was taken on an indoor Huxley green. Length of putt, approx 20ft.

As always, all opinions welcome :thup:

Last edited:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Should be ok now. Thanks for letting me know Chris :thup:

It is!

One thing I would say to watch is your hand position in relation to the putter head, from the video it looks like they are level at impact and if they drift behind a touch it can cause problems. I used to have a similar action but was told it was better to either set up with the hands forward or have a slight forward press before the stroke starts.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just feels more solid to me.
Plus, that's how Tiger and Luke Donald putt.
Plus, Lee westwood doesnt putt that way

That's good enough for me and have also been taught to keep my arms tucked in - I like to feel my triceps are kind of sitting flush with my torso. Feels like I keep connected with just shoulders rocking and minimises the risk of excessive movement...

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Probably anything I say will be seen/interpreted as a criticism but clearly I can't help that in this instance. Obviously Bob has a particular way else he wouldn't be pushing his product so what I say is only my OWN opinion.

I don't mind the technique, or the putting aid. It does look like you hit the ball and then accelerate afterwards as if you forgot to hit the ball. I'd rather see a slightly 'firmer' [read as 'faster' or 'commited'] tempo and possibly a shorter backswing, if the puts are dropping then that's all that matters. Out of interest have you been fitted for your putter or is if off the shelf?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Probably anything I say will be seen/interpreted as a criticism but clearly I can't help that in this instance. Obviously Bob has a particular way else he wouldn't be pushing his product so what I say is only my OWN opinion.

I don't mind the technique, or the putting aid. It does look like you hit the ball and then accelerate afterwards as if you forgot to hit the ball. I'd rather see a slightly 'firmer' [read as 'faster' or 'commited'] tempo and possibly a shorter backswing, if the puts are dropping then that's all that matters. Out of interest have you been fitted for your putter or is if off the shelf?

Fitted last year James.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It does look like you hit the ball and then accelerate afterwards as if you forgot to hit the ball. I'd rather see a slightly 'firmer' [read as 'faster' or 'commited'] tempo and possibly a shorter backswing, if the puts are dropping then that's all that matters.

It does seem that the follow through is a bit manufactured - possibly to prevent/overcome the dreaded deceleration problem. Looks rather like a chipping action in fact.

If you decide you need another putter, I believe a Centre Shafted/Face Balanced one would suit that action. Seems pretty much Straight Back, Straight Through to me.

Oddly, the first time I saw top Pros putting, it was Faldo, with Leadbetter in attendance. What struck me was how still everything other than the pendulum was. Leadbetter was actually trying to get Faldo to have (a bit) more separation between chest and arms. Faldo's build could have had something to do with that though.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
It does seem that the follow through is a bit manufactured - possibly to prevent/overcome the dreaded deceleration problem. Looks rather like a chipping action in fact.

The follow through is more to do with keeping the face square Fox.

You're quite right, my stroke is straight back and through but I developed a habit of closing the toe through the impact, pulling everything left.

My follow through allows me to keep the putter face square to my target line through impact and into the follow through.

As for swapping putters, not likely (although I would like to try a centre shaft putter). The only time I'll even consider changing is when my Scotty breaks :thup:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
The follow through is more to do with keeping the face square Fox.

You're quite right, my stroke is straight back and through but I developed a habit of closing the toe through the impact, pulling everything left.

My follow through allows me to keep the putter face square to my target line through impact and into the follow through.

As for swapping putters, not likely (although I would like to try a centre shaft putter). The only time I'll even consider changing is when my Scotty breaks :thup:

The square follow through may explain why your head moves to left (looking at vid) during and after impact. This may assist in pulling putts a bit? Other than that nice stroke and yes I would agree that a touch more hands forward may help (but then you have been fitted! ;) )

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments on the video.

Another question I'd like to ask based on a few of the replies.

As you see in the video, I play the ball quite far forward. Would I be better moving the ball back, more towards the middle of my stance?

My thinking being that with the ball being forward, my stroke will be wanting to return to the inside (Hence the extended follow through keeping the stroke on line). If I move the ball back in my stance a little I will not need to make such a drastic follow through which, in turn, will stop my head dropping to the right through and after impact.

Would moving the ball back also help to get my hands more forward?

Sound plausable?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Wow... one putting stroke and now you're looking at the ball position, the path, maybe even a different putter... kinda weird even for me to take that on board. I did say the follow through looks a bit 'contrived' but what do I know.

I know you're a student of the v-easy so perhaps Bob would share his thoughts on what the 'plan' is when you use one... should it even be 'straight back and thru'? I'd have thought that the path should go very slightly to the inside with that type of stroke/putting aid, then sqaure up, then go back to the inside... should you even be trying to hold off the release, shouldn't the toe BE closing after impact?

I'm all for holing putts no matter what it takes but this seems a lot of stuff based on one little putt where even the hole isn't visible.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
seem to putt nicely! a DTL video would be good too. im sure the experts could tell you alot from that as well.

i have tried the arms tucked in and it doesnt feel comfortable to me. i seem to get in my own way doing it. it could be i need a longer putter for that. whos knows.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Wow... one putting stroke and now you're looking at the ball position, the path, maybe even a different putter... kinda weird even for me to take that on board. I did say the follow through looks a bit 'contrived' but what do I know.

Far from it James. We all want to improve, I'm not different. If a minor change to ball position gives me a better strike and follow through, surely the amount I hole out will increase?

The ball position in the video is my stock position when setting up to putt (Just inside left heel). Looking at it now, with it being so far forward could have been a main factor in the toe closing (Because of how far forward the ball is), hence my question about moving the ball back, and keeping the similar follow through, although not so contrived and, in turn, my head wouldn't move.

I've looked at a few clips on YouTube today of people who I would consider excellent putters.

Luke Donald, Tiger Woods, Webb Simpson, Rory Mcilroy all have a similar ball position being either centre stance or a ball forward of it. Even Lee Westwood has the ball further back than me :mad:

It was just a thought.

I've no plan to change the arc (path of my stroke), just where the ball is positioned and I, 100% will not be changing my putter :D

You, Bob and a few other on here have probably forgotten more about the golf swing than I will ever learn, so I'll always take on board advice given, hence me asking.