Putting/Putter Grip question

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People of the experts section,

I'm a disgraceful putter of the ball and am wondering whether investing in a new grip (and a new grip) would potentially help with this.

I don't tend to push left or right, it's simply distance (short and long). I know there was a thread on something similar elsewhere on the form a week or so, ago but I think its now time I start to approach it a wee bit differently.

It's taken me perhaps a full season and winter to realise that whilst I have the same grip consistently, I rarely apply the same amount of pressure to it and so getting the distance right will always be an issue. I use a Nike Method #005 with its original grip and like the way the ball rolls true off the milled face. But I guess I don't know how to get the most consistent grip and pressure that would then help me programme my distances into my tiny wee mind.

I don't want to go for a lesson - I just want to self teach really. I've completely gotten rid of my slice with a driver from just reading stuff on here/www and picturing things before trying them out 'live' and that's given me a real sense of satisfaction. Hopefully I can achieve something similar with the putting.

So, my grip currently is exactly the same as it is through the bag (interlocking), aside from my index finger pointing toward the ground on the back of the grip as the 'guide'. Guess I'm canvassing opinions as to whether changing the putter grip to a thicker one (Winn/Super Stroke) would then help me with my grip on the club? Do thicker grips naturally promote less pressure, or at least consistency of pressure. I'm not too worried about trying new grip styles out if I buy a new grip but aside from the usual, practise, practise, practise is there any merit in my somewhat limited logic?

Any hints, tips that can be offered?

Thanks in advance.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Each to their own, but having used a multitude of putters and grips, I find the thicker the grip (particularly SuperStroke) the worse my lag putting was. It removes a lot of the feel for me.

I used to have my right finger pointing down the shaft also, but removing this and using a simple overlap grip improved my putting considerably. Helped my to stop 'hitting' at the ball.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Why not do a couple of really radical things....

1. Get your action checked out by a Pro.
2. Practice!

I can't see the point of 'wanting to 'self-teach' when, for a pretty small outlay, a Pro will point out the key things that you should consider! Most will even do exactly the same thing, even when you tell them that you re only after those points, so only intend to have the single 'lesson'.

Btw. Did you have lessons when learning to drive a car?

There are plenty of putting drills that should be able to help. The ones I found most helpful - and I like to think I'm a pretty good lagger because of them - are ones in one (or maybe several) of the Bob Rotella books. These use 3 particular distances (marks, not holes) 3 feet apart that you have to putt to - actually past but closer to the mark you are aiming at but not as far as the next farther mark - with your eyes closed! You can even use the same marks for practice of even longer ones - getting closer to the middle one than either of the outer ones.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
as a general thought (for most folks) you don't want any real active involvement of the wrists in a putting stroke. active wrist action can easily affect strike both through how hard or not the balls hit, & both the horizontal face angle (closed/open) plus add & sometimes reduce loft at strike which will affect he balls roll so distance control can be problematic.

as you pretty much want to stop active wrist involvement you (again for most folks) don't want the handle of the putter in the same orientation as you would for the golf swing with other clubs - when it's largely in the fingers of both hands.
so putter handle is in the palms of both hands which helps prevent over active wrists.

RH player the handle runs more vertically in the palm - so on top of the lifeline of the palm - this has the back of the left hand plus palm square to putter face. you want the hands to work as one unit so the right palm parallel to the left, again the handle in the palm of the right hand again running vertically through the palm.
this puts both forearms more in line with the putter shaft in a much more vertical alignment. eyes either in line over the hosel of the putter or directly over the ball, better that the eyes are not, in a vertical alignment, over the other side of the ball target line.

it's then a ways easier with the putter in the palms, forearms & shaft more vertically aligned for the shoulder motion to give you a ways more consistent control of pace.

if you have your putter grounded square on the sole just place both open hands with palms to each side of the putter fingers pointing vertically downwards in a reverse kinda of prayer position that how the palms are better aligned when the grip is formed.

https://youtu.be/ayq2m7t46AA

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm in the wrong place as I'm far from an expert in any golfing sense, especially putting!!!! :rofl:

Matt - if you want to try a SuperStroke give me a shout before you buy any, I've a mid slim 2.0 you can have (brand new in wrapper) for a nominal donation to my charitable fund (less than you'd pay to buy).:thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why not do a couple of really radical things....

2. Practice!

I can't see the point of 'wanting to 'self-teach' when, for a pretty small outlay, a Pro will point out the key things that you should consider! Most will even do exactly the same thing, even when you tell them that you re only after those points, so only intend to have the single 'lesson'.

Btw. Did you have lessons when learning to drive a car?

There are plenty of putting drills that should be able to help. The ones I found most helpful - and I like to think I'm a pretty good lagger because of them - are ones in one (or maybe several) of the Bob Rotella books. These use 3 particular distances (marks, not holes) 3 feet apart that you have to putt to - actually past but closer to the mark you are aiming at but not as far as the next farther mark - with your eyes closed! You can even use the same marks for practice of even longer ones - getting closer to the middle one than either of the outer ones.

I agree with this. A single lesson with a pro to check the fundamentals and technique is a simple way to do things properly including discussing the putter grip (size) and grip (how you hold it) and what suits. After that you'll have the right tools to putt well and it's down to practicing hard and developing some feel for the mid-long range putts

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Each to their own, but having used a multitude of putters and grips, I find the thicker the grip (particularly SuperStroke) the worse my lag putting was. It removes a lot of the feel for me.

I used to have my right finger pointing down the shaft also, but removing this and using a simple overlap grip improved my putting considerably. Helped my to stop 'hitting' at the ball.

Cheers tsped83, so basically between your thumb and forefinger you have the shape of an arrow pointing back up at you? (Round Wigan way they call it 'webbing' :D)

Foxholer;[URL="tel:1253736" said:
1253736[/URL]]Why not do a couple of really radical things....

2. Practice!

No reason for the initial sarcasm was there - one reason why I almost didn't post this.

Whilst I stated that "practise, practise, practise' was one of the obvious responses it wasn't actually the matter at hand (forgive the pun). Of course, technique is everything however the question was based around differing grip styles, different putter grips and any way in which certain combinations teach good practise when gripping, for consistency. I do realise that no matter what grip and grip style we all have, it doesn't stop us applying whatever pressure the brain tells us to or wants to - I'm interested to know what helps, if anything, subconsciously and physically. Perhaps the answer is 'each to their own' but the first response was useful.

1253736[/URL]]I can't see the point of 'wanting to 'self-teach

Thanks for the feedback on this but its my post and my little mission. If you cant see the point, it's of no concern to me. If it works then fantastic, if it doesn't I guess I'll survive.

1253736[/URL]]Btw. Did you have lessons when learning to drive a car?

What on earth!?! Like everyone, of course. But when I see a red light, I don't stop 20 yards in front of it or overshoot it by 10 yards. Unless of course the pressure in my brake pads was wrong or my brake fluid empty... Everybody who is on the road will have had lessons and they may claim to be able to drive 'ok' but they're not all mechanics, are they.

1253736[/URL]]There are plenty of putting drills that should be able to help. The ones I found most helpful - and I like to think I'm a pretty good lagger because of them - are ones in one (or maybe several) of the Bob Rotella books. These use 3 particular distances (marks, not holes) 3 feet apart that you have to putt to - actually past but closer to the mark you are aiming at but not as far as the next farther mark - with your eyes closed! You can even use the same marks for practice of even longer ones - getting closer to the middle one than either of the outer ones.

Thanks, that's a useful drill, particularly for the carpet and I'll mentally store that one for when I've potentially settled on a new grip style.

MIB - cheers, I've got one of those books. I admit, a lot of this may be pyscological but anything that makes me feel 'connected' moreso than I do now is the starting point and think that the physicality of the action is the starting point for this.

Coach, thank you - great drills and the first vid explains your pos, something that I may try, particularly the 'prey' grip.

Iain, first of all I'm taking the G25 out on Thursday. Will be hitting the D2 and then the G25 on each tee shot. Secondly, always happy to donate to your charity as you know and may donate on that premise, I have a second putter coming bought purposely for 'testing' :whistle:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
No rush with the driver, you got the D2, X Hot 2 aswell to try?

If you fancy trying one of the grips give me a shout, again no problem if not though :thup:

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No rush with the driver, you got the D2, X Hot 2 aswell to try?

If you fancy trying one of the grips give me a shout, again no problem if not though :thup:

Current driver is the D2 and must admit, at Formby, drove the best I ever have. Think I missed 3 fairways in total. Glyn was 20yrds behind me every hole.... I have the X2 Hot but it's still in its cellophane so might sell on for a small profit without hitting. I really want the g25 to work for me but the shaft might not be the one! I'll know within a couple of hits and will happily transfer to Steady Dave for you :D

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What on earth!?! Like everyone, of course. But when I see a red light, I don't stop 20 yards in front of it or overshoot it by 10 yards. Unless of course the pressure in my brake pads was wrong or my brake fluid empty... Everybody who is on the road will have had lessons and they may claim to be able to drive 'ok' but they're not all mechanics, are they.

Whooosh! :rolleyes:

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers tsped83, so basically between your thumb and forefinger you have the shape of an arrow pointing back up at you? (Round Wigan way they call it 'webbing' :D)

I'd say do yes. Thumb running vertically down the shaft. I 'believe' it to be a fairly orthodox putting grip.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you are having problems with distance control, it's likely to be either your backswing is too short for the putt and you have to 'hit it' with the hands or its too long and you have to decelerate into the ball.
I dont think a new grip or grip will help that much I'm afraid

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Brilliant. Your pecking ways are not always helpful.

Especially when the recipient has closed eyes/ears! Btw. Do you have an obsession with poultry - as your avatar features an example :rolleyes:

My point was that almost all people have and pay for Driving Lessons because that is the recognised optimum way to acquire a license - there are certainly cases where applicants have passed without being instructed.

I'm not a fan of the 'constant' lessons along the lines that Homer has, but, especially for putting, a single Putting one that identifies the key areas that need to be addressed seems to be an excellent way, even for someone who doesn't want Swing lessons. They are completely different skill sets, so if someone is determined to 'develop a swing without a lesson' then that's not compromised by a Putting one.

I'm also not a great fan of 'carpet putting' either, though certainly use the 'putt through a gate' drill mentioned in one of the vids. It may be that the skills, and success, developed through carpet putting are distorting the perceived lack of ability at lagging longer ones!

Edit. And Bob's tip, posted while I was composing my post, is an example of the sort of thing a Pro will identify, and probably provide a solution for, in an 'analysis' lesson - saving a huge amount of frustrating trial and error for little cost!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

To the OP

I had the exact same issue last year

Was recommended to try the super stroke

So first tried the Mid Slim 2.0 and found it a touch too big so then went to the Ultra Slim 1.0 and found it very comfortable

It helped me keep my wrists quiet and keep the club face square. Just about to put a new one on.

The super stroke grip was a great improvement for my putter

So from one "self taught" golfer to another i would recommend the super stroke grip ( size dependent on your hand size ) and see how you go :thup:

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To the OP

I had the exact same issue last year

Was recommended to try the super stroke

So first tried the Mid Slim 2.0 and found it a touch too big so then went to the Ultra Slim 1.0 and found it very comfortable

It helped me keep my wrists quiet and keep the club face square. Just about to put a new one on.

The super stroke grip was a great improvement for my putter

So from one "self taught" golfer to another i would recommend the super stroke grip ( size dependent on your hand size ) and see how you go :thup:

Thanks Phil, interesting to know and ties in perfectly with Jocko's offer.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Give the "claw" grip a go next time you practice. I practiced with it a lot this past week, and then yesterday only had one 3-putt compared with 6 the last time I played. Really helps me control my distance, quiet my wrists down and help improve my aim!

D

Deleted member 17920

Oh this thread has made my day :D

I wont mention it this weekend at all that you tend to push or pull putts :whistle:

How much are we playing for again :whoo: