Putting - how do you diagnose the problem?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I played in a seniors' event with a 3 handicap friend the other day and neither of us putted particularly well. Not many 3 putts but almost every holeable putt missed by both of us. I said to him afterwards "When you miss a putt do you know whether you hit it in the direction you meant to & misjudged the line or did you not hit it straight?" He said he didn't know, and neither do I. If I had to guess, I would say the former in most cases. I have a putting mat at home, one with a ramp and a hole at the end. Where I place it on my floor the putt, around 6 feet, is just right lip. I can sometimes hole 10 out of 10, 20 out of 20, many more than on the course.

Analysing the round afterwards I missed almost all the putts on the low side, missing the hole completely most of the time,even those with slight borrows. In retrospect, I would have been better off aiming deliberately one hole width high on every putt. The odd one would have missed on the high side but more would have gone in. There were a couple, late in the round, where I'm sure I chose the correct line then, standing over the ball, decided there was not enough borrow, and proceeded to miss on the low side.

Even the pros, in the small amount of the Open I have watched, miss putts much more often on the low side.

I was going to go up to the club this morning and have a session on the practice green but, unfortunately, the weather has put paid to that.

Does anyone else suffer from this problem? What do you think is the main reason why you don't hole more holeable putts?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Putts are only missed for 3 reasons:
1) Error of judgement reading the line and the pace.
2) Error of execution - not sending the putt off on the intended line or pace.
3) Random irregularities in the green's surface.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Never played in very windy conditions Del?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Never played in very windy conditions Del?
I think taking into account the effect of the wind is part of the judgement exercise!

Incidentally the most important factor in putting is the correct alignment of the club face along the line of the putt at the point of impact.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
The type of surface plays a massive role. I've recently moved courses this year, from a course with new USGA spec sand based greens that run true with no grain, but are very undulating greens. To a course that has poa annua greens that change throughout the day and are very grainy but flat. The amount of times I assess my line, stand up and hit it exactly where I want and the ball either doesn't move or turns off the other way. This has well and truly played mind games with my flat stick in hand.
I personally think the greatest reason we don't hole more putts is inconsistent greens. Ever noticed how you putt better when you go to a top course with perfect greens?

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My missed putts are usually down to misreads and pace, my pace changes with quality of strike
I always mark a thick black line on the ball to aid in setting the line and more importantly my feet alignment, i find the writing/arrow not defined enough to register, def improved my putting from medium range

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I finally found time to go on the practice green & have l long session. The pro came out & gave me a quick once over. It seems the problem is threefold. 1. I was standing a long way from the ball instead of having my head over it. 2. Too long a backswing, with deceleration approaching the ball. With these two faults corrected things got better. BUT, 3. After missing the same practice putt about 6 times I realised what was happening. I'd read the putt, decide the line, stand over the ball, not believe there was as much borrow as there was and subconsciously hit it on the low side. When I finally convinced myself to hit the putt firmly along the chosen line they started going in. On the first few I even hit the putt & said to myself " that's going to miss on the high side" only to see it go into the middle of the hole!

I have three putters, adjusted to varying lie angles. One is so flat it's impossible to putt with, another is just about OK and one, which I never had adjusted, is just about perfect. This is the one I'm taking out on Saturday in our Invitation Day, after some more intensive practice, weather permitting, today & tomorrow.

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I finally found time to go on the practice green & have l long session. The pro came out & gave me a quick once over. It seems the problem is threefold. 1. I was standing a long way from the ball instead of having my head over it. 2. Too long a backswing, with deceleration approaching the ball. With these two faults corrected things got better. BUT, 3. After missing the same practice putt about 6 times I realised what was happening. I'd read the putt, decide the line, stand over the ball, not believe there was as much borrow as there was and subconsciously hit it on the low side. When I finally convinced myself to hit the putt firmly along the chosen line they started going in. On the first few I even hit the putt & said to myself " that's going to miss on the high side" only to see it go into the middle of the hole!

I have three putters, adjusted to varying lie angles. One is so flat it's impossible to putt with, another is just about OK and one, which I never had adjusted, is just about perfect. This is the one I'm taking out on Saturday in our Invitation Day, after some more intensive practice, weather permitting, today & tomorrow.

I used to do that a lot also, read the green line the putt up and then stand over it and change my mind. Only to realise that the original line was the right one.

When I miss now I know weather it was a bad read or a bad putt that has caused it. Always trust the line.

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

4) not being very good at putting,

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Since someone has revived the thread I may as well update things by saying that it's still going well. Distance control is much better & many hole able ones go in and a lot just lip out. The pro is enjoying his Budweiser I got him in return for the impromptu lesson.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Since someone has revived the thread I may as well update things by saying that it's still going well. Distance control is much better & many hole able ones go in and a lot just lip out. The pro is enjoying his Budweiser I got him in return for the impromptu lesson.

Glad you've seen some improvement. I tend to use a mirror regularly when I am working on my putting to ensure the basics are fine. Some fairly cheap ones around but it really helps

gdunc79

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was going to start a new thread but found this one and thought it was relevant.....

If you are having issues putting would you recommend a lesson with the Pro? I have so many things going on in my head now regarding set up, keeping legs still, grip, grip pressure after watching many "how to putt" videos online that I am now completely lost as to what I should be doing. At least 4 3 putts a round at the moment. But would going to see my Pro give me clarity or muddle me up even further?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The correct line, to your eye, when you're lining up can feel totally alien to that when you're stood over the ball and looking at the putt from the "wrong" angle. Trust your read and hit it confidently along that line.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was going to start a new thread but found this one and thought it was relevant.....

If you are having issues putting would you recommend a lesson with the Pro? I have so many things going on in my head now regarding set up, keeping legs still, grip, grip pressure after watching many "how to putt" videos online that I am now completely lost as to what I should be doing. At least 4 3 putts a round at the moment. But would going to see my Pro give me clarity or muddle me up even further?

getting a Pro to take an overview on your current putting technique isn't going to hurt - as there are obviously some issues going down with what you currently are doing - if you can find a PGA pro near you that also specializes in putting even better - as many issues stem from grip & set-up from the get-go

putting hold on the handle is/should be a good ways different to the other sticks in the bag as you want to eliminate hand/wrist action - so the handle runs more down the lifelines (center palms of both hands) & not more in the fingers as it is/should be for the rest of the bag (this will feel strange & uncomfortable first off if you haven't been doin it)

that ways you can let the shoulder motion more reliably control the motion to get a consistent repeatable pace to the stroke - move that 'arm triangle' to a count is a good ways to practice pace
so count 1 at the end of the takeback & 2 at impact - keep that 1 - 2 count a consistent timing whatever the length of putt or the stroke

to check out path & face alignment drop two alignment sticks on the ground parallel to an 8' straight putt (sticks just a tad wider than the putter width at 4' to the hole place 2 tees in the ground in line with the sticks) then stroke some putts - the sticks will give you feedback if the path of the putter is out as if it is you'll hit one or both - the tees halfways to the hole will give you an indication of face alignment at strike - face square ball will pass through the tees on the ways to the hole, ball hits the tee on the right putter face was little ways open, ball hits tee on the left the face was closed some

about the 2 most important issues with putting are repeatable rhythm/tempo real important to cut down on mistakes/inconsistencies over distance & the ability to read lines, as you've got to have a reasonable idea over consistent pace of roll to be able to judge line, plus returning square face alignment at strike this a bigger issue the shorter the putt

stability of the hips down plus a still head are 2 real important factors, but you gotta have a good hold on the handle first off

Last edited:

gdunc79

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some good points and tips in there Coach - will give them a go and see if I can save the £35 cost of an hour with the pro :p