Putting help

MembersBounce

Club Champion
Visit site
I bought a new putter about 2 months ago and for the first 6 weeks our so it was like I couldn't miss from about 5 foot and in. Now though I'm missing most of them by an inch our so either side. Thought maybe I was coming up too early but I tried to remedy this yesterday and was putting only a little better. Has anyone got any idea what might be happening and/or some good drills to help. It's driving me crazy.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure. Don't think so. I try to stay solid but I'll check it out today. Cheers Bob.

Try the chair drill.
Rest your rear against a chair/wall keeping the pressure the same on both cheeks throughout the stroke

[video=youtube;vsTLHVK9DqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTLHVK9DqY&feature=bf_prev&list=PL7Uf2W3s fvqYBJ3OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW[/video]

MembersBounce

Club Champion
Visit site
Ok... I tried the chair drill a little at home this morning then got to the course early today in order to practice some putting. Concentrated on staying stable, not moving my hips and not looking up too early, putting was going ok on the practice green. So on to the course and low and behold I go and shoot a personal best of 89, breaking 90 for the first time, smashing my previous pb of 96 by 7 shots and scoring 43 points from my 24 handicap. Amazing. I'm well chuffed. My putting was good, not great but much better than the last couple of weeks so thanks for the advice Bob.

What also helped was the different ball I used. After reading the post about the Pro V1's on here the other day it got me thinking that maybe it was time I went for a better ball than the distance ones I usually used. I went and bought some Wilson DX3's and was very impressed by them, even hit my 3 rescue 240 yards off one tee, I've never hit it that far before. They also stuck to the greens much better. Next stop Pro V1's!!

All in all a top day and I can't wait to play again.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A new putter tends to take your focus away from the mechanics of the stroke and onto the new putter. This can make you stroke the ball with a better tempo. When you get used to the new putter you start to think on the mechanics of the putt again, this leads to less effective putting.

Lesson: Dont focus on the mechanics.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So on to the course and low and behold I go and shoot a personal best of 89, breaking 90 for the first time, smashing my previous pb of 96 by 7 shots and scoring 43 points from my 24 handicap. Amazing. I'm well chuffed. My putting was good, not great but much better than the last couple of weeks so thanks for the advice Bob.

Great news. Congratulations on breaking 90 for the first time.
Glad my advice helped :)

Steve In Spain

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Congrats on breaking 90!

As Bob mentioned too, peeking can also send them to the left, try it yourself...stand in your putter stance, then look left and notice how your left shoulder moves left too...might only be slight, but enough to pull the putt. I now keep my head dead still until way after the ball has gone.

For the balls, have you tried the Srixon Soft Feel? £13 from American Golf and well worth buying a few dozen at that price! We have a course out here called Las Ramblas and if you don't lose at least 4 balls a round, you've done well. On 'ball losing holes' I use them instead of my Z Stars!

MembersBounce

Club Champion
Visit site
Cheers Steve. I'll look out for the Srixon balls, there's an AG just up the road from me, I got the Wilsons in there for £27 for 24 balls on a multibuy deal. I never used to give much thought to the ball, just used to buy half decent distance ones but now that I'm striking the ball much better it's becoming much more of a factor. Also joining the forum and getting good advice is also helping :)