Pushing it right.

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I started playing I used to have an awful slice, over time I eventually got rid of it with the biggest correction being in a change of grip. However in the last couple of weeks I have started hitting it to the right again, only this time I'm not slicing it, I seem to be pushing it straight right. I have paid a lot of attention to my alignment yet I am still pushing it right. Any ideas what I may be doing?
Thanks,
Lawrence.

AxelBenito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Swing path, ball position may be worth looking at?

Post a video if you can, I will have a look at it and go...I have no idea about golf, but somebody else will give some pointers.

Have you been on the range or course or both?

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i've found myself doing this to lately,

my problem was alighnment, my shoulders and feet had crept round pointing more to the right.

i'd check that first, you might be doing the same and just haven't rerealised

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
First thing I checked was my grip, if this was the problem I'd expect it to be more of a banana shape like it used to be but now I'm hitting a very straight ball flight but to the right. I have been very particular with alignment. I will check my ball position.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sounds like your swingpath and clubface are square at impact. You are either aligning to the right or swinging in to out with an open clubface.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Your banana slice was probably caused by an out to in swing and an open club face.
It sounds as if you have fixed the swing path (so no more banana) but the face could still be a touch open.
Does it happen with all clubs or just the medium/longer ones?

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Your banana slice was probably caused by an out to in swing and an open club face.
It sounds as if you have fixed the swing path (so no more banana) but the face could still be a touch open.
Does it happen with all clubs or just the medium/longer ones?

It is definately most pronounced off the tee with a driver, not quite as bad with fairway woods and hybrid. By the time I get to the wedges it's only a slight deviation but still there to a degree.

Lawrence

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sounds like your swingpath and clubface are square at impact. You are either aligning to the right or swinging in to out with an open clubface.
I have a tendency to have both these problems!

My alignment fault is just laziness/discipline/practice (getting used to proper alignment).

Open face tends to be faulty wrist work. Left stays too strong so right doesn't come through properly. With the Driver, I overcome this by thinking 'topspin down the line' tennis shot but this does not feel 'natural' with irons!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It may be you're one of the rare breed that actually does swing in to out.
In your efforts to stop the out to in, you may have gone too far. That would also explain no divots.
It's still a guess without seeing your swing on video though. Any chance of filming your swing from down the line and popping it on to youtube please?

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It may be you're one of the rare breed that actually does swing in to out.
In your efforts to stop the out to in, you may have gone too far. That would also explain no divots.
It's still a guess without seeing your swing on video though. Any chance of filming your swing from down the line and popping it on to youtube please?

I'll see if I can get my brother in law to come to the range and film me. Up untill a couple of weeks ago my driving was the most improved part of my game. I was hitting a lot of fairways and had developed a slight draw. Now the draw part has disappeared and it just keeps going the way it set off but even further right than when I had the draw working. I am not loosing distance like I did with the slice but I am embarassingly far off line at times. Was more often playing from the wrong fairway on Sunday last.
Lawrence

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Probably be the weekend at the earliest before I can get tot the range to film the swing, lot of work in house at the moment.