Pulling my shots a long way left

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm a total beginner who has not yet had any individual lessons.

I've made good strides in the last week in terms of my ball striking (now hitting about 80% of shots forwards and up) :D but I consistently pull shots off to the left, and quite far left too. I'm making quite a nice contact, in that they go quite a long way, but start left and finish even "lefter" !

I had a group lesson yesterday and the pro said this was because at impact I'm not following through and shifting my weight onto the left foot. Instead I seem to want to stay at address position as soon as I've hit the ball, and am having trouble programming myself to follow through properly.

Just wondered if you chaps had any tips for how I can address this issue? I'm thinking maybe taking an exaggerated "step" with my right foot after impact to get into the habit of twisting to face the target after impact.

Keen to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
At your address position pull your left foot back so the toe is in line with your right heel, hit mid to high irons with this and don't try and kill it or you'll do yourself an injury. This drill helps promote turning 'out the way' and promotes the correct feeling.

Good luck.

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lot's of things you could be doing, impossible to tell without seeing your swing.
Could be any of the following or a combination of several.

1. Incorrect grip
2. Club face pointing left at impact.
3. Incorrect body alignment to target.
4. No weight transfer at impact.
5. Insufficient body / shoulder turn
6. Arms swinging faster than body is turning.

My_HarrisTweed_Cap

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Go and get a lesson or two instead of having rubbish diagnostics on an internet forum.

A decent PGA professional's advice and help is what's required. Not the opinions of a 2, or a 10, or a 22 handicap golfer. That's the best advice you'll get.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Go and get a lesson or two instead of having rubbish diagnostics on an internet forum.

A decent PGA professional's advice and help is what's required. Not the opinions of a 2, or a 10, or a 22 handicap golfer. That's the best advice you'll get.

Agree with this to a degree. A couple of individual lessons are the way to go. The group clinics are a waste of time I found as you just get nowhere near enough 1 to 1 tuition as you need, they are fine if you are a half decent player to begin with but in your case individual is the way to go. This notion that appears to be going round that just because they are handicap golfers they do not know what they are talking about is wrong IMO they may well be able to spot other players faults and offer advice but just not able to fix their own wonky swings

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
@harris, the guys just looking for some thoughts from a golf forum, isn't that what it's for, sharing?

You'll find most 'help wanted' threads have someone saying 'see your Pro' which is the correct advice but forums thrive with sharing whether its for affirmation or just to 'chat' about it with like minded individuals. We were all a beginner once:whistle:

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks all - and yes I am planning on lessons - I'm just trying to get myself into a position where I can at least strike a bucket of balls and have the majority go forwards and up before I pay (for me) a lot of money for lessons, so that I can get the best value from them.

My_HarrisTweed_Cap

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
@harris, the guys just looking for some thoughts from a golf forum, isn't that what it's for, sharing?

You'll find most 'help wanted' threads have someone saying 'see your Pro' which is the correct advice but forums thrive with sharing whether its for affirmation or just to 'chat' about it with like minded individuals. We were all a beginner once:whistle:

You can't give reasoned advice without knowing the issues. Giving someone 30 different opinion and swing thoughts is just nonsense. A PGA professional will sort him out better than any number of suggestions on a forum. I could add in maybe the clubs are too upright and it adds another dimension again.

My_HarrisTweed_Cap

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thanks all - and yes I am planning on lessons - I'm just trying to get myself into a position where I can at least strike a bucket of balls and have the majority go forwards and up before I pay (for me) a lot of money for lessons, so that I can get the best value from them.

Professionals are used to working with beginners and however bad you feel you may be I guarantee that the pro will see positives to work on.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You can't give reasoned advice without knowing the issues. Giving someone 30 different opinion and swing thoughts is just nonsense. A PGA professional will sort him out better than any number of suggestions on a forum. I could add in maybe the clubs are too upright and it adds another dimension again.

No-one said you can:confused: however I totally disagree that anyone giving an opinion is just nonsense, its an opinion and one of many that will be proffered on a forum........isn't that what you've just done without anyone saying it's nonsense:whistle:

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Professionals are used to working with beginners and however bad you feel you may be I guarantee that the pro will see positives to work on.

Yeah I agree but it's as much for my own confidence as anything else. I tend to swing a lot worse when someone else is watching me, so just want to get a bit more
comfortable in myself before I commit to the expense of lessons with a pro. It's definitely on the horizon shortly.

Thanks all for your thoughts, appreciate it.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I agree but it's as much for my own confidence as anything else. I tend to swing a lot worse when someone else is watching me, so just want to get a bit more
comfortable in myself before I commit to the expense of lessons with a pro. It's definitely on the horizon shortly.

Thanks all for your thoughts, appreciate it.

They will not bother one bit. I had never hit a golf ball in my life when I went for my lesson. Do not take this the wrong way but the Pro will have seen worse golfers than yourself

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So your ball starts left then goes further left. That tells me your swing path is possibly out to in and the clubface is also pointing left somewhat.
From what you've said you are very flat footed and need to work on your foot work.
Try a few gentle practice swings and focus on a balanced finish up on your right toe (right handed)
This will help you keep the club on a straighter path which will help with the initial direction. You may also need to have your grip checked as I suspect it may be off a touch.