Proposition X

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Following up on the well vocalised disgust with MPs, here a few suggestions for improvements; discuss

1. An mp may only stand in a constituency in which they have a demonstrated interest. (ie they must have a minimum period of residency or working, say two years residence or three years working)

2. that the whip system be outlawed. (it is totally undemocratic and so long as it exists no mp will truly represent their constituency)

3. that the pairing system be stopped. currently mps are paired with opposition members, the idea being that if one of the pair is absent for any of a variety of reasons, the other does not vote. this disenfranchises their constituencies.

4. that the house adopt an electronic (eg swipe card) system both for attendance and voting.

4a. no person shall be eligible to vote for a measure if they have not attended at least 51% of the debate.

4b. that allowances are scaled based upon attendance

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Won't disagree with you there.

I'd also add from the other post. That whilst MPs are paid realativly little compared to the private sector. They will always try to 'supplement' their incomes, and fudge the system.

I wonder what the motives are for becoming a politician? Lets face it, I don't know of any other job where you'd spend more time trying to cover ones backside. For whatever reason. It's not an attractive'opportunity' really, is it?

I've toyed with the idea of it, indeed the local guys have asked me on a few occasions to 'go for it'. I have some fairly strong ideas, and occupying the middle ground to keep everybody happy is just not possible. As some of you know, I'll either alienate some completely, or have their full support. But it won't be for everyone!