Problem with longer club distances

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Difficult one to articulate here but would appreciate input from some learned golf folk.

I have trouble with distance/gapping in my longer clubs. I'm not trying to hit the ball further, though that would be great, but I am trying to understand why 3w, 5w, hybrid all go similar distances.

It's like the longer my club, the morning the law of diminishing returns applies.

Have done some googling a few times but don't get great results.

Not looking for a magic cure, just curious as to why this might be happening?

Hope the articulation makes sense.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ie great, but I am trying to understand why 3w, 5w, hybrid all go similar distances.

It's like the longer my club, the morning the law of diminishing returns applies.

When you first start to play and even for those that have played a longtime, that is often the case. The longer the shaft the harder it is to hit the ball correctly.

The biggest problem I see is that players think they have to belt the club to get it to work properly rather than letting the longer club do the work for you.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's like Jim said, the longer the club, the harder it is to get a good strike out of the middle. So what you will probably find is that you are not catching them out of the middle. Next time you go to the range take a dry wipe marker pen with you and put a line on the ball. Then after you have hit 5 with a 3w, check the club face as it will have left marks on it and see what the strike pattern is like. MY money is on you seeing marks all over the face and not out of the middle.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

It does apply!

Happens to most, and represents the biggest differential for the elite golfers.

Very very basically - we normally find it impossible to put the same swing on an 8 iron and a 3 iron. We feel that the 3 iron will need more to get the ball further/higher/ and if it needs to carry water!!!!

That extra tends to be what causes the problems. It's a vicious circle as the good guys just take more club for more distance and the bad guys know they can't hit theat one so try and hit the more lofted one further than they normally do too.

When you can swing a 3 iron like your 8 iron you have cracked tee to green golf.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem if I go on the range with ProTracer it becomes obvious pretty quickly my driver and 3 wood go very similar distances and the 3 wood is straighter, for some reason this knowledge doesn't prevent me from pulling driver out on the majority of tees :D

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to reply folks.

Can be guilty of giving it a thrash so will try smooth out and start checking strike :thup:

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to reply folks.

Can be guilty of giving it a thrash so will try smooth out and start checking strike :thup: