Pro Stingers

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Struggled today and previously when it was a hard overnight frost with my footing with just my normal soft cleats.

I not only slipped on a couple of occasions both on a mat and the fairway but the amount of ice that built up on the sole of my shoes felt like I was wearing high heels at times. Even when its just soft and muddy the soles of my shoes have always congealed and have become quite slippy.

Went to AG today and was advised to use Pro Stingers, so I've bought some.

Anyone use these and any views?

WideEyedFox

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pro Stinger cleats are excellent. Like regular Stinger pattern but with a steel spike in the middle, like a conventional golf spike.

They should perform a lot better than normal cleats. :thup:

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Put them on a few weeks ago. Mainly due to being hard on plastic spikes anyway. But last year found it very slippy when using matts on our 4 par 3 holes. So far think they are great, considering to keep them on all summer too. Only worry is walking over the wooden bridges it feels iffy at any time with the metal being only thing connecting you to the wood. Though only 3 at our place so as long as you take care its fine.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The only thing I found weird about them is that they wear out a lot quicker than you'd think they might.

Wouldn't play golf without them now.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I use them during the winter, but not in the summer.

I find the comment about the wooden bridges odd. Given a frosty bit of wood I'd rather walk over it in metal spikes that dig in, than plastic ones which slip all over the place. My old club had bridges made of sleepers, and they were slippy as heck. I much preferred metals, and they couldn't ban them for health and safety reasons.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I too use metal spikes in winter. We have some mats on the course and a couple of those really collect ice. like trying to tee of on a ice rink.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Mine will get used for the first time tomorrow.

For those that only use them in the winter, what's the reason for not using them all-year-round?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Something I considered after a previous round in the cold and frost.

Any info on how these play of temp tee's (mats)?

I find them ok - they dig in a little unlike the spikeless cleats.
Also find they don't clog up as much.
I use them all Winter but revert to normal Stingers when the ground firms up.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I find them ok - they dig in a little unlike the spikeless cleats.
Also find they don't clog up as much.
I use them all Winter but revert to normal Stingers when the ground firms up.

Thanks Ian.

I think I may be investing in these for the winter as my softspikes are pants!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I prefer metal spikes unless the course specifically forbids them. Its then a case of using the cheapest soft spike to conform then back to using metals again.

I think my FJ shoes came with these hybrid spikes from new (or maybe I bought a set to try) I used them but the soft cleat part of the spike didnt last very long at all which is part of the reason I like metals.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Used them on Thursday and they are excellent. Very hard frost and never felt like slipping once, they offer so much confidence.

Hardly anything to blow off either when back at the air shoe cleaner but everyone else was pretty clogged up.

Great investment.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Used them on Thursday and they are excellent. Very hard frost and never felt like slipping once, they offer so much confidence.

Hardly anything to blow off either when back at the air shoe cleaner but everyone else was pretty clogged up.

Great investment.

That's what I like about them too. The grass and dirt barely sticks to them.