Pro Am cost at our club

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi team!

So last year we had a Pro Am at ours which cost £50 for members or £90 if you came from outside for the green fee.

Looking forward to this years event but the cost has just been published and I don't know what to say....this year the cost is now .....wait for it............£110 for members and £140 from outside....so more than double for club members. The format is the same, with same goodies, average food and similar prizes without the golf trick show we had last year.

Just seems very expensive and elitist...means most of our juniors won't be able to participate and me as this years mens Captain can not justify the expense either.

So, should I accept and move on or make a point?

M

BomberSRL

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi team!

So last year we had a Pro Am at ours which cost £50 for members or £90 if you came from outside for the green fee.

Looking forward to this years event but the cost has just been published and I don't know what to say....this year the cost is now .....wait for it............£110 for members and £140 from outside....so more than double for club members. The format is the same, with same goodies, average food and similar prizes without the golf trick show we had last year.

Just seems very expensive and elitist...means most of our juniors won't be able to participate and me as this years mens Captain can not justify the expense either.

M

Ours is £300 for the fourball. Some good prizes. Still expensive! I would kick up a bit of a fuss if it doubled from last year though. Although, they must feel its justified to do it?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
what winds me up is when the pro wants the other 3 players to absorb his green fee. they never split their cash prize 4 ways after though

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we only have the one and that's the Tomatin Pro am which is a round at Nairn, Castle Stuart and Royal Dornoch. £1200 there is a dinner as well though.

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
jeez...that is quite spenny................played at Dornoch a few times about12 years ago..............lovely place.......back on thread though, I feel there will be quite a few upset members at ours.....I'm up Thursday and see how the land lies..............

D

Deleted member 3432

Who on earth wants to pay £110 quid for a round of golf on their own track?

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Who on earth wants to pay £110 quid for a round of golf on their own track?[/QUOTE

This is my point................I really want to, but can not justify the ridiculous hike in price, on what is an average parkland course with below par food.................if it were Dornock, I would jump at at............

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi team!

M

Think you are in the perfect position to be making comment on behalf of the membership personally

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
For me it would depend a bit on what pros are playing. Is it local teaching pros from the area, playing pros from the minor tours or do they actually manage to bring in a few challenge tour or even ET players? Do you get a say in who you will be playing with? I mean, if I wanted a round with a teaching pro on my home course, I'd probably rather just book a playing lesson. And if they bring in tour players, I'd probably just come as a spectator that day ... I don't know, the whole pro-am thing does not hold that much appeal for me.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
we only have the one and that's the Tomatin Pro am which is a round at Nairn, Castle Stuart and Royal Dornoch. £1200 there is a dinner as well though.

Flippin eck, no wonder Scotland is bust. Re op, I would not go to make the point it is wrong.

DCB

Visit site
Cost will vary a lot depending on the size of the field and extent of the prize list. Used to get an invite from a contractor to play in pro ams that his business entered a team into. We played a few times and they were good days out. I think the going rate was around £450-£500 for the team entry which included lunch and a meal when you finished, but that was more than ten years ago. Too many 'bandit' teams entered into events meant you needed to shoot the lights out to even pick up a box of golf balls from the prize table.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pro-am is a 2 day affair at two of the courses in the city. £75. doesn't really interest me tbh.

Mates are playing in it. I'd probably watch a bit if I wasn't working.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had the Jamega Tour at the club a few weeks ago. Think it worked out at £80 per head per team irrespective of members or not. Not sure that was necessarily worth that although everyone that took part said it was a good day. That said it's a massive hike in the OP's post and hard to see what else they are getting extra for the money

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Flippin eck, no wonder Scotland is bust. Re op, I would not go to make the point it is wrong.

its full every year, so proves people are prepared to pay this type of money to play 3 top 30 courses in the UK one of which is top 10 in the world.

how does this make "Scotland Bust" ???

you do come out with some crap

steadyeddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ours is £345 per team of 4 but the pro doesn't pay so works out at £115 each irrespective of whether member or not. I'm not too fussed about it but money raised does go to charity so i'm playing

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Who's the pros you would be playin with?
Personally I wouldn't pay that unless it was a big name pro.
I'd definitely be asking the club what's changed to justify doubling the entry fee because that's outrageous, if he doing it publicly aswell, on their Facebook page or something so they can't duck and dive roundabout the answer. I'm fairly sure there are a lot of people in your club all asking the same question you are.

D

Deleted member 15344

Is it an officially run PGA pro Am ?

I know the prize fund for Pros increases and the costs for the PGA has increased a bit

I play a lot of pro ams and the cost is anywhere between 80 and 130 each - every time it's worth it for me