Price of a pint

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
£3.30 a pint for bitter in the pubs in Hertford. Those are 'normal' pubs, not your fancy wine-bars. Probably cheaper in the weatherspoons, but life's too short and all that.

Lucky I'm a lightweight. there's worse things to do for a tenner with a couple of mates.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lol. I drink in Liverpool more then Wirral. My mate owns the ship an mitre. You been in. Real ale pub.
Was in malou in peor head last week. £4.50 a pint.

One of the best pubs in Liverpool is the ship, sometimes we start our crawl there after the match. Great boozer, fantastic choice of Bitters (I don't mean the blue-noses:whoo:), lagers AND Ciders, which is important.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
£3 for a Carlsberg as a member at ours, about £3.30 if not i think, Guiness about 20p dearer

Worst Ive come across in recent years was £5.95 for a pint at the Grove - the worst bit is it was Orange and lemonade and not even a beer!!!!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
£3.30 a pint for bitter in the pubs in Hertford. Those are 'normal' pubs, not your fancy wine-bars. Probably cheaper in the weatherspoons, but life's too short and all that.

Lucky I'm a lightweight. there's worse things to do for a tenner with a couple of mates.

Many a year since i was in a pub in hertford (Brings back memories of my youth lol). Trying to remember where we would drink, dare say some of them not there anymore, the Blackbirds, Duncombe Arms, Sportsman spring to mind

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So homer that is cheap? Cheap to me for a pint is under £2.
The point I'm making is that people who don't have much money aren't going the pub anymore like my uncle because its over priced now. That's one of the reasons pubs are shutting 25 a week.
I pay what it is and never really check prices but last night with my uncle telling me he don't go out much I noticed.

Under £2 for a pint leaves very little chance for a pub top make a profit.

55p in excise duty and 34p in VAT means the govt is taking 90p of a £2 pint. So £1.10 to cover ingredients/making the pint (or worse buying it in), storing it, rent, rates, labour costs etc etc

Let me know when youre opening at £1.90 a pint :)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a job keeping a straight face when a Cockenee asked for a bitter shandy in a nice wee pub on the Western Isles.
The barmaid was from New Zealand and had never heard of the drink and asked him what it was.
The guy went in to 'offended' mode and asked if she had worked here long.
About 5 years was the reply.

Same story with sherry about 20 years ago on Mull.
Offended Toff said, I can't believe you don't sell sherry.
Barman replies that it was because no one asks for it.
We have 42 varieties of single malt though.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I love it when folk moan over the fact that the scraggy old boozer down the road sells a jar at £2.60 but the club sells at £2.80.

5 pints and you're greetin over a quid.:rolleyes:

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a job keeping a straight face when a Cockenee asked for a bitter shandy in a nice wee pub on the Western Isles.
The barmaid was from New Zealand and had never heard of the drink and asked him what it was.
The guy went in to 'offended' mode and asked if she had worked here long.
About 5 years was the reply.

Same story with sherry about 20 years ago on Mull.
Offended Toff said, I can't believe you don't sell sherry.
Barman replies that it was because no one asks for it.
We have 42 varieties of single malt though.

My mum asked for a slice of lime in a G & T in a pub in Port Glasgow, the barmaid looked totally gob smacked :D