Preparing for a knee op - cyclist/PT Advice needed.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Following my 2020 mri I now have the out patients appointment through for my knee op which is looking to be towards the end of this year.

I’ve started off this year cycling for 20 mins each morning on a light resistance which seems to cover about 11-12k, on a flat cycle but moving forward what are the best options for building the lower quad muscle quickest?

Ie:
1) speed cycling low resistance for longer periods
2) more resistance and short periods
Either of the above with a mix of terrain, etc etc

I should add that once the Jan/feb gym rushes are out the way and people have quit, I’ll be rejoining the gym which I have a routine for solely weight based.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Following my 2020 mri I now have the out patients appointment through for my knee op which is looking to be towards the end of this year.

I’ve started off this year cycling for 20 mins each morning on a light resistance which seems to cover about 11-12k, on a flat cycle but moving forward what are the best options for building the lower quad muscle quickest?

Ie:
1) speed cycling low resistance for longer periods
2) more resistance and short periods
Either of the above with a mix of terrain, etc etc

I should add that once the Jan/feb gym rushes are out the way and people have quit, I’ll be rejoining the gym which I have a routine for solely weight based.
When I had a knee injury recently I was given a set of strengthening exercises by a physiotherapist.

Sitting at a chair and standing up/ sitting down again with arms outstretched. reps.

Standing on one leg and then lowering down and standing back up by bending leg only - reps

Standing up with back against a wall and a ball held between knees, then lowering down keeping back against wall then standing back up. - reps.

Hope that's helpful.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pretty my what I’ve been given pre gym from the physio my end, they’ve also given some resistance band exercises and told me to heavily focus on cycling as it’s low impact for 2-3 months.

From here they then want me pushing on with leg curls, extension and press’s building weight through the year. No squats weight baring.

The ACL / PCL are both dead as I ruptured them in 2000, the Lcl is now stretched and the miniscus has some small tears.

On the plus side …..

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Maybe not the same thing, but when I damaged knee ligaments, I was told to sit on a chair with that leg off the floor and to draw the alphabet with that leg. Helped me.

RichA

Visit site
Bust both menisci 10 years ago. Orthopaedic surgeon who examined my MRI said get a desk job and give up the idea of playing sport anymore. Went for 2 weeks intensive physio a few months later where they noted muscle wastage from lack of exercise. The key exercise regime was basically the Jane Fonda hips, tum and bum routine from 40 years ago. I carried on doing it twice a day for weeks.
A couple of months later I was back bowling 10 overs medium pace every Saturday. A couple of years later I was playing football again and only quit last year at 50 because of lockdown.

The big deal for me is undoubtedly the Jane Fonda stuff.
I have no evidence for it, but I believe that getting rid of clip-in pedals and going to basic ones that didnt fix my knees in a possibly poor plane helped too.

Edit: before I got carried away talking about myself, I meant to add that the physios said that they basically prescribe the JF exercises for every injury below the belly button as it's so effective it makes them practically redundant.
Supplemented with a balance board for proprioception and loads of slow, shallow one-legged knee flexing exercises on your bottom stair - if that makes any sense at all.

Good luck. Don't overdo it.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pretty my what I’ve been given pre gym from the physio my end, they’ve also given some resistance band exercises and told me to heavily focus on cycling as it’s low impact for 2-3 months.

From here they then want me pushing on with leg curls, extension and press’s building weight through the year. No squats weight baring.

The ACL / PCL are both dead as I ruptured them in 2000, the Lcl is now stretched and the miniscus has some small tears.

On the plus side …..
I also use resistance bands, they are excellent for strength and improving muscle mass.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
When at the gym use the kit for seated leg curl, leg extension, hip abductor, and hip adductor. And the cycle with gradual increase of resistance. It certainly help me after my knee op. (But obviously, dont know if your knee op is going to be in any way similar?)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm no PT, but squats are hugely underrated. Done properly and using the variety either weighted, one leg etc, can build huge strength in the quad, ham and glute areas. good for the core too.

EDIT: Post op, do as you are told by your rehab team and don't ask the internet!!