Practice

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What does everyone do for practice? I'm a member at a range near me £39 for unlimited balls and use of their short game area. This year has been a bit of a write off for golf as work got in the way but I try and go down twice a week. 30 balls a session. 15 chips (using the 66 yard green) 10 mid range irons using the green that's 140 yards and then 5 drives

on weekends I try and do 60 balls and work my way up and down the bag. Putting I practice however don't really enjoy putting on the Astro there so have ordered a putting mat from home. Have fake grass in the garden and had an offcut left behind to lay down over the patio and use to chip onto the grass.

what do people find better practice range or game on your own?

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Driving range to correct a swing issue, never go unless I have something specific I want try or a club I need to groove in.
Our club has a practice green for chipping and putting, I usually take a tube or two on a nice day with a drink. But once again I practice a specific technique that I think will work for me.
It's working as my chipping and putting have vastly improved this year.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What does everyone do for practice? I'm a member at a range near me £39 for unlimited balls and use of their short game area. This year has been a bit of a write off for golf as work got in the way but I try and go down twice a week. 30 balls a session. 15 chips (using the 66 yard green) 10 mid range irons using the green that's 140 yards and then 5 drives

on weekends I try and do 60 balls and work my way up and down the bag. Putting I practice however don't really enjoy putting on the Astro there so have ordered a putting mat from home. Have fake grass in the garden and had an offcut left behind to lay down over the patio and use to chip onto the grass.

what do people find better practice range or game on your own?

If I'm working on something I go to the range, otherwise I prefer to play the course. You learn to hit balls on the range, you learn to play golf on the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My season has also been a bit or a write off but I've worked hard on all things short game and when I have played for the most part it has stood me in good stead. I've worked a bit on the long game but it's a winter project now and I intend to play as much as I can in the autumn. I don't bother in the winter on temps and will use that for my swing and keeping the short game ticking over, with a plan to hit 2017 full on once the season starts

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When ever I go to the range I pay per bucket of balls. Do most do an annual unlimited ball membership?

Not sure check with your range , not overly worth it tho costs me £39 pm and I hardly use but I go more when I over pay than if I had to pay and go.

in April gonna jack it in and go payg £25 on a card per month

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Unless there is a specific thing you have in mind, short game practice is far more 'productive' than long game practice. Get your distances dialed in for wedges on 3/4 and half shots. Sort out your imagery about chips from just off the green with PW through 7, even down to 5 iron - and even hybrid! Hone your bunker play! Have fun with flop shots (but be careful! make sure there's nothing breakable if you blade it!).

While I agree that putting on astro is not ideal, it can be used to hone distance control - from various lengths, always trying to get a foot to 18 inches past the target distance. Try putting to specific distances with your eyes closed! Use a line-up line on the ball (or maybe a pair of them) to try getting it to roll end-over-end - surprisingly harder than you think!!

So much more to constrictive practice than merely aimlessly smashing balls down the range!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unless there is a specific thing you have in mind, short game practice is far more 'productive' than long game practice. Get your distances dialed in for wedges on 3/4 and half shots. Sort out your imagery about chips from just off the green with PW through 7, even down to 5 iron - and even hybrid! Hone your bunker play! Have fun with flop shots (but be careful! make sure there's nothing breakable if you blade it!).

While I agree that putting on astro is not ideal, it can be used to hone distance control - from various lengths, always trying to get a foot to 18 inches past the target distance. Try putting to specific distances with your eyes closed! Use a line-up line on the ball (or maybe a pair of them) to try getting it to roll end-over-end - surprisingly harder than you think!!

So much more to constrictive practice than merely aimlessly smashing balls down the range!
see so much of this down the range where people will hit couple irons then smash 50 balls with a driver

whats the point

mwm118

Medal Winner
Visit site
Depending on your driving range I find it good practice to use as many of the markers, posts, etc to aim at. For example I may use 2 posts as a pretend fairway for driver/ 3 wood, or a single post as an imaginary pin for shorter clubs. I also try to hit different shot shapes, i.e. high or low or try to start the ball on one marker and finish on another. For all shots I try different drills/games to make sure my practice is focused and as competitive as possible, often keeping scores/comments in a little book I have

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depending on your driving range I find it good practice to use as many of the markers, posts, etc to aim at. For example I may use 2 posts as a pretend fairway for driver/ 3 wood, or a single post as an imaginary pin for shorter clubs. I also try to hit different shot shapes, i.e. high or low or try to start the ball on one marker and finish on another. For all shots I try different drills/games to make sure my practice is focused and as competitive as possible, often keeping scores/comments in a little book I have

Have to say my range is outstanding . Auto loading bays. Greens at 66, 100, 130 and 170 yards (can use between them as that fairway) a target 225 yards away to give an idea of distance and 4 small greens at 30 yards for little shots

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
39 for the year or per month.........?!?! You must be very good or stupid!!!!!!

I decided to do it last year to force myself to go the range. £39 a month but u get free access to the short game area (members only) which is £250 a year. Unlimited balls is good in the winter go down 2-3 times a week 30/60 balls a go.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where do you go?

Scott cranfields driving range in chadwell health. Been rebranded as "golf kingdom" as they built a crazy golf, foot golf and a 18 hole members only practice course (I don't pay the "gold" membership so can't use the corse

D

Deleted member 21258

I would love to say I practise, but sadly do not almost at all, as a result it is only playing on the course for me. Find just practise a bit boring to be honest and I would rather do the hedge trimming!! The only time I spent a reasonable amount of time practising was when I was trying to swing faster over the beginning 3-4 months of this year and I went out to the shed once a week in the evening.

My wife goes to a group lesson at the range once a week, and my son sometimes goes to the range(normally before a comp he plays in on his own)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

Personally disagree with practicing a lot in bunkers. Very rare you'll see someone go in a bunker more than 5x a round. So why spend time getting good at something you do less than 5x a round? Time can be spent a lot more effectively.

Even more true the better golfer you become. I can go 5 rounds a time without going into a bunker

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hate practising at the range, it's always off mats. I find the whole club interaction with the mat is so different than with grass as to always seem to screw me up. I would rather go the club a little earlier than normal and have a good warm up/swing fiddle before playing. Plus, at the course I won't have "the worlds longest hitter" in the next bay trying to smash the world away, bothering me with how wonderful he is.