Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Thoughts?

C28WuJPUoAIex5j.jpg

D

Deleted member 15344

I would agree with is the first - reducing the time to look for a lost ball

Spike marks - sorry but that's just rub of the green and you will then have people spending ages repairing anything in sight - will just add to to slow play

Drop from any height - why the need to change it ?

Red stakes - can see that being sensible

Club length for drops - how will players measure where to drop ?

D

Deleted member 1147

I actually think the repairing spike marks is a good idea (it's one I've wanted changing for years), and I don't think it's going to take too much extra time to repair a couple of spike marks every so often.

The drop from any height idea is a bit daft as people will damn near be placing the ball if dropped from about 5mm.

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
the any height change seems daft and don't see how you could remove the club lengths.

I would also like to see lift, clean, place from all closely mown. Always seems harsh to hit a fairway and have to put up with being in a divot or mudball.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They need to advise the replacement to club lengths before we can answer that. Standardising would be a good thing though. Many, many golfers are unsure as to whether you get one or two club lengths. Get rid of the confusion.

I'm all for the spike marks one, never understood that. What's different between a spike mark and a mark made by a ball?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Load of rubbish.

Pros are not spending all day looking for balls. If they did, the time saved would be eaten up by people making sure every blemish on their line was fixed before they putt.

Drop from any height? what does that even mean? should be head height. I would even like to see that go back to toss it over your shoulder. Loo

Nonsense

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Spike marks are like divots - not that easy to define.
Some people are going to try to fix anything...
Can't understand the drop change - what's the benefit?
Using red stakes - is it worth it? Why?
Cutting search times to 3 minutes is good.
Club lengths......? Are we going to be issued with tape measures by then Pro..?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Spike marks - can see the logic but how do you define one and will slow time on the greens even more
Search time - does it need changing, especially when common sense takes place and groups are then called through. It's something the pro game needs to adopt much more
Drop change - don't see the need
Club length - how will we measure. It is open to abuse at club level
Red stakes - Again, why?

It's good that the authorities are looking at the game and looking to make improvements but not sure these are the best ideas they've had

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Thinking about it, reducing the search time to 3 minutes could lead to less letting through as "they're only going to be waiting a couple of minutes"....

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love it when people talk about spike marks slowing play down, how often do you have a spike mark on your line!? I can remember once in the last few years.

Shorter time searching for balls makes sense.

Drop height is a weird one, not entirely sure what they're looking to achieve.

What's the benefit of the red stakes?

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Who actually times a search anyway? Plus what is the point in that when you also propose introducing the spike mark repairs which slow down play again.

How do they propose measuring relief then? Do we all carry a yardstick now?

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What's the benefit of the red stakes?

Adds a couple of drop options, 2 CL from point last crossed and also 2 CL from opposite margin from point last crossed. Haven't quite visualised a scenario where those would be of a great help on a typical yellow staked hazard though (might be being a dummy here)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Load of rubbish.

Pros are not spending all day looking for balls. If they did, the time saved would be eaten up by people making sure every blemish on their line was fixed before they putt.

Drop from any height? what does that even mean? should be head height. I would even like to see that go back to toss it over your shoulder. Loo

Nonsense

Because they've got an army of people on the damn course already looking / found it before they've left the tee, and also for us hackers, if you know you've only got 3 minutes to find it, you'll take a "provi" every time!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Because they've got an army of people on the damn course already looking / found it before they've left the tee, and also for us hackers, if you know you've only got 3 minutes to find it, you'll take a "provi" every time!

...and then you start to verge on rule-breaking

27-2a/3 Play of Provisional Ball in Absence of Reasonable Possibility Original Ball Is Lost or Out of BoundsPosted Image

Q. In the absence of reasonable possibility that a ball is lost outside a water hazard or is out of bounds, may the player play a provisional ball?

A. No. If a player plays a ball under such circumstances, the ball is not a provisional ball but the ball in play — see Decision 27-2a/2.

D

Deleted member 1147

...and then you start to verge on rule-breaking

27-2a/3 Play of Provisional Ball in Absence of Reasonable Possibility Original Ball Is Lost or Out of BoundsPosted Image

Q. In the absence of reasonable possibility that a ball is lost outside a water hazard or is out of bounds, may the player play a provisional ball?

A. No. If a player plays a ball under such circumstances, the ball is not a provisional ball but the ball in play — see Decision 27-2a/2.

I imagine he means when there is some doubt about the ball being quick and easy to find. Not every shot!