Portugal or Spain....its decision time...

hellbunker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
ok...i need you guys/gals to help me decide. I have the following options for my 40th birthday. The prices below are PP and inc breakfast and car hire.

Portugal
3 nights Vilamoura Beach Hotel c/w 2 rds on Pinhal and Laguna. £207 ex flights

Spain
3 nights Pyr Hotel Puerto Banus c/w golf at LaQunita and LaChapparal.
£229 ex flights

3 nights Las Palmeras Fuengirola c/w golf at Alhaurin and Los Arqueros. £179 ex flights

3 nights Sunset Beach Club c/w golf at LaCalla & LaChapparal £245 ex flights

So, where do i go...! :D

hellbunker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Hapless...remind me later in the year and i'll let you know how i got on...
I've already been to Puerto Banus 2 years ago; its was SUPERB. Keep working on your wife....
Good luck :)

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Vilamoura or Puerto Banus any day for me. Puerto Banus tries too hard to show off his wealth whereas Villamoura is more understated and classy.

Have played golf in both resorts and whilst Valderamma is teh best course Vilamoura has better golfing options.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
PB is unbelievably expensive like 6/7 euro a jar but courses you mention good and nitelife great.
Vilamoura is great for golf,nightlfe crap but golf good altho not the 2 best that you have mentioned altho they are ok.
Funkyrola is blackpool with sun but a hell of a lot cheaper than PB and a good base for golf.

Ham

Medal Winner
Visit site
Cant comment on the hotels but I have played La Cala & El Chapperal and they are both fanatstic courses and considered among the best on the costa del sol. La Cala has 3 courses.I have also played Alhurin which is very good.If you play any of these you must have buggies, so its worth checking if these are included.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was in Marbella for Easter and played La Quinta. You play a combination of two of three nine-holes. Course was better than I was playing, buggy paths could be lethal in the wet.

Didn't get to Puerto Banus but an ex-pat reckoned it was the place for night life in the area.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Because Puerto Banus is expensive it keeps the Pikeys away which is grand.

Yes there are some toe-rags with a few quid down there but they tend to keep in their own circles anyhows.

I like your train of thought MWJ.

Will the OP come back and give us a full report? we don't get much on here about foreign jaunts and they're always a good read(and often inspiring).

Tah :rolleyes:

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm off to Spain with 15 other guys tomorrow. We're based in Benidorm (I know, I know....). Playing Alicante of Thursday (played it last year, superb course, Seve designed - no rough just houses and water lining the fairway, roman ruins scattered around too!). Real de faula on Friday and Platio on Saturday (never played them).
Wasn't looking forward to it, as I had lost my swing. Got that sorted at a lesson on Saturday. Got my new TM Spider and had it shortened, it's perfect, what a putter!

Now I can't wait!!

Oh, and I'm defending my title!

hellbunker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Guys, thanks for your input...it was always between Algavre and PB. I have experienced PB on blank cheque from the company i was with at the time and it was superb. However i fear the cost per pint my be too rich for some of my buddies...looks like its Vilamoura ...
I will right up a wee synposis of the trip when i come back...

Cheers
Ian :cool:

pcowgill

Medal Winner
Visit site
Depends on what priority you give to your golf. All the Spanish courses you listed are much better than Laguna and Pinhal which are very tame compared to the other courses around Vilamoura.

If you want go to Vialmoura, I'd pay the extra and play the better courses... either Vila Sol, the Old Course or the Victoria and then the Millennium which will keep the price down a bit.