Portugal again

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Off my for annual pilgrimage this week. Playing 5 courses in 6 days. Got Pinhal, San Lorenzo, Salgados, Castro Marim and Quinta da Cima. Played 3 of them before but San Lorenzo and Salgados are new to me.

Has anyone played any of the 5 recently? Are they playing well?

Must admit I'm not sure about 5 rounds in 6 days. With all the food and an occasional drinkie and not planning to leave the Rock bar before 2am, it might be a bit tiring.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played Salgados in March (not really recently I guess).

I actually really enjoyed it. Lots of water as I am sure you are aware. If you are accurate off the tee you will be rewarded. Length off the tee is not crucial apart from a couple of the par 5's where you can actually go for it.

I suffered from the shanks when I was there so struggled to score as I kept shanking the ball into the water.

Great holiday course as it is an easy walk and the bar was decent prices.

Good practice area for short game but no range, just a big net with own balls.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Really looking forward to San Lorenzo. We try to play one or two of the big name courses (i.e. expensive) each year.

After this year I'll only have Victoria and Monte Rei to go for the full set of 18 hole courses on the Algarve. Can see us playing Victoria, but Monte Rei is just a bit too expensive even if it does sound wonderful.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If it's in decent shape (and it usually is) San Lorenzo is a corker. Holes by the lagoon are memorable, but there are plenty of others too.

I paid Monte Rei a visit last year as passing by. Will have to go and play at some point, but for what they wanted I wasnt mad keen to fork out. We often stay in QdL and a week playing North, South, Larranjal and San Lorenz, is never a bad one! Larranjal is very underrated and great fun.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Really looking forward to San Lorenzo. We try to play one or two of the big name courses (i.e. expensive) each year.

After this year I'll only have Victoria and Monte Rei to go for the full set of 18 hole courses on the Algarve. Can see us playing Victoria, but Monte Rei is just a bit too expensive even if it does sound wonderful.

Will be starting on some of the better courses next year. Starting small (cheap), would you recommend one from the Dom Pedro resort or Amendoiera?

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Will be starting on some of the better courses next year. Starting small (cheap), would you recommend one from the Dom Pedro resort or Amendoiera?
For my first of the better courses between Dom Pedro and Amendoiera I would go for the Dom Pedro Old Course. Haven't played it for a few years now. It was my first quality course out there and made a very good impression on me. iirc it's a bot cheaper than Amendoiera as well.

The Amendoiera courses are both good. I prefer O'Connor myself. I think Faldo is a bit too tricked-up. Would happily play either again tho. Buggies essential as there's some long trips between the holes.

But tbh, I would go for one of the Quinta do Lago three courses ahead of the above. North, South and Laranjal are all excellent.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
For my first of the better courses between Dom Pedro and Amendoiera I would go for the Dom Pedro Old Course. Haven't played it for a few years now. It was my first quality course out there and made a very good impression on me. iirc it's a bot cheaper than Amendoiera as well.

The Amendoiera courses are both good. I prefer O'Connor myself. I think Faldo is a bit too tricked-up. Would happily play either again tho. Buggies essential as there's some long trips between the holes.

But tbh, I would go for one of the Quinta do Lago three courses ahead of the above. North, South and Laranjal are all excellent.

We’re gonna be there in January. For the guys I’m with budget comes into it. The two I mentioned can be got for approx €240 for a 4ball with buggies. Not sure can get others for similar price.

I did think that about Faldo. Looks a little tricky......

JONESA3

Visit site
Salgados is as flat as a pancake and needs some strategy due to amount of water. Got back yesterday from Vilamoura. Played both Vale de Lobo courses and Laranjal, the latter being declared by the party as being the better tour course. Paid a bit extra for our courses this year but all thought worth it.