Poll: Stats use in relation to Handicap level

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jumping off the recent threads on stats, the question was asked "does the use of stat correlate at all to golfing ability?". Let's say "ability" is best indicated by your Category. Definitely interested to hear your story, i.e I used to keep stats but when I got to X I stopped. Or I never kept stats, started and came down by X.

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth doing!

Cheers, Curls

N.B. I mucked up the poll bit, anyone know how to get back there?! If not doens't matter, responses like Phil's are what I was after - sound!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

I’m currently at cat 1 and never used a stat or kept any stats - for me I don’t see the point in them at our level

But I can see how for some they could be useful for where your game needs improvements but I think you should be able to feel that as your playing

Just think back to recent comps and look at where you dropped shots

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I am a high handicapper, but I started keeping stats (even though maybe not very relevant ones) practially the day I started playing golf. I kept stats on the pratice shots I hit on the field behind our house. I kept stats on how many putts I needed to get around all 9 holes on our practice green. I even wrote down notes with the positives and negatives of every round. I just love keeping stats and golf lends itself towards that so much more than most other sports, a) because it is basically just you vs. the game and b) because you have enough time to write things down while you play. I would think keeping your own stats during, let's say, a tennis match or a game of football would be much harder.

Not sure if keeping stats does help my game much, though. Keeping track of distances for different clubs does for sure. The stats also gently remind me when it is time to put in some more putting or short game practice. Apart from that, I keep them mostly for my own enjoyment.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never kept stats at any time of my playing life (nearly 40 years).

Initial handicap 22, low of 5.

I sometimes go over a round in my mind to remind me of where I dropped shots and to work out the putts per round. I feel I play enough anyway to work out what part of my game needs to be worked on at any one time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have never kept stats at any time of my playing life (nearly 40 years).

Initial handicap 22, low of 5.

I sometimes go over a round in my mind to remind me of where I dropped shots and to work out the putts per round. I feel I play enough anyway to work out what part of my game needs to be worked on at any one time.

This is exactly me - other than nearly 50 yrs and initial h/cap of 16 low of 6 :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBh never kept any sort of stat, gone from 24 initial to 4 since starting in 2006.

I know where weaknesses in my game and where i've scored etc, TBH only time i know how many putts ive taken was the other week when i had 12 one putts, none of which were for par;)

D

Deleted member 21258

Never kept formal stats, but always have a think about the round and see were I lost the shots, to spot trends.

Why not, helps to focus any practise I do.

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm a cat' 1 player (off 4).

I used to use the stats tracking programme that was developed by the guy on here (score Saver 2?), until I accidentally deleted it from my PC and I couldn't be bother to start again. Using this my handicap went down from 10 to 6. But I don't think it really had much effect on my improvement, that was down to lessons with Chris Ryan at the Belfry.

I then stopped keeping stats and managed to get a small improvement in handicap of 6 to 5.

Last year I set up a spreadsheet where I record: score on each hole, totals for each 9 & 18, par 3s, 4s & 5s, and the number of birdies or better and double bogies or worse. I then average them by month and by season.
From this I can see which holes I'm struggling on and look at how to improve that by looking at my approach to playing the hole. Whilst doing this I've gone down 1 shot so far to 4.

I don't know if stats helps improve or if I just do it because I'm an accountant and therefore spend most of my time producing spreadsheets, and it was a bit of a busmans holiday.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I used to use the stats tracking programme that was developed by the guy on here (score Saver 2?), until I accidentally deleted it from my PC and I couldn't be bother to start again. Using this my handicap went down from 10 to 6. But I don't think it really had much effect on my improvement, that was down to lessons with Chris Ryan at the Belfry.

I then stopped keeping stats and managed to get a small improvement in handicap of 6 to 5.

Last year I set up a spreadsheet where I record: score on each hole, totals for each 9 & 18, par 3s, 4s & 5s, and the number of birdies or better and double bogies or worse. I then average them by month and by season.
From this I can see which holes I'm struggling on and look at how to improve that by looking at my approach to playing the hole. Whilst doing this I've gone down 1 shot so far to 4.

I don't know if stats helps improve or if I just do it because I'm an accountant and therefore spend most of my time producing spreadsheets, and it was a bit of a busmans holiday.

Yer just a numbers geek :)

...but then again so am I

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Off 12, have never kept stats. There is a record on hdid of my hole score on all comp rounds which I sometimes look at. Reveals that I hardly get any birdies, which is a shame.

After listening to the nlu strokes gained pod, I recorded my putts for a round to see what the status was. Confirmed that it was a bit rubbish. Will probably do it for a few more to see if I can get it up to bang average.

Overall, I agree with the view here that the best approach is probably to mend what hurt most in the last round. Currently, getting a drive on the fairway wood help.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I kept stats last year.

FIR/GIR/Putts
Approach shots, how far out, club used and where it finished.
Up and downs

Helps me come down from 21-8 in a year. Haven't done them this year.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

That stuff is all on Howdidido. pretty simple stats but do the job without any work.

It was obvious to me which holes I have trouble with at my home course. There was just one that I actually score well at but never looking forward to playing.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am off five low of 1.
Dont see the need for stats anyone should know their weakness .
You just need to work on them.

But you must admit you have a weakness First this is what holds people back imo they think they don’t have any .

D

Deleted member 1147

That stuff is all on Howdidido. pretty simple stats but do the job without any work.

It was obvious to me which holes I have trouble with at my home course. There was just one that I actually score well at but never looking forward to playing.

i'm not on howdidido

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your going to keep stats answer this questions.

Am I doing I for the enjoyment of it? Is it fun

How much does it matter if I dont record stats all the time? Can I just do it when I feel like it?

Do I have the time to enter, review and correct the data? Can I afford something to automate it as much as possible?

It’s a hobby not a job, answer those all first before asking if it’s worth it for improvement.

If it’s worth the time and effort to keep it up and record as much as possible AND to get enjoyment from it then do it.

If it’s a chore because it might help you improve then don’t. A playing lesson or two might throw up more than stat collection ever could.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don’t think it’s essential at all to use them regardless of level. Nice option though and helped get me to 1. I use data analysis because I’ve worked with it for years. Not just the basic descriptive stats but correlation, probability and regression which I’ve used for different things to highlight areas to work on. I like that sort of stuff if you’d not guessed. Still need to play, practice and hit the ball right though regardless of the numbers.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I played my first game on Wednesday after preferred lies were removed, played 12 holes, 2 over, never hit a single fairway, stats don't tell the whole story.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never bothered to work out how to but apparently if your club runs Intelligent Golf you can record your stats in the 'My Handicap ' section.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Good to see feedback on this and was the feedback I'd hoped for when I started the thread.
After seeing the responses here and talking to a lot of golfers it would seem that the lower the hc, the less stats are kept.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Keep statistics as I'm that way inclined and like to see trends and if the work I've done on a certain area is translating into improvement on the course. They serve a purpose when I have lessons so the pro can see where the current issues are. I want to see what the new Game Golf is like and worth the money or will opt for the current model. I found their information really thorough. Scoresaver does a job but could do more.

I've started keeping some basic stats on my short game work as well again to see if I'm improving each time I do the drills. Also some notes on my putting and how often I hole from different distances (out of 20 balls). Some very promising signs so far