Playing your opponents ball

Jack Hammer

Visit site
In a stroke play event player A played the wrong ball and player B then also played the wrong ball. The mistake was noticed after several more shots by both players who were by then on the green. The players decided to return to the tee and play the hole again. Is this permitted in a stroke play event?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a stroke play event player A played the wrong ball and player B then also played the wrong ball. The mistake was noticed after several more shots by both players who were by then on the green. The players decided to return to the tee and play the hole again. Is this permitted in a stroke play event?
Not quite. You both go back to where you played the wrong ball and play the correct ball from the correct place with a 2 stroke penalty.

Rule 6.3c
In stroke play, you must correct the mistake by continuing play with the original ball by playing it as it lies or taking relief under the Rules:
  • The stroke made with the wrong ball and any more strokes before the mistake is corrected do not count.
  • If you do not correct the mistake before making a stroke to begin another hole or, for the final hole of the round, before returning your scorecard, you are disqualified.

Jack Hammer

Visit site
Not quite. You both go back to where you played the wrong ball and play the correct ball from the correct place with a 2 stroke penalty.

Rule 6.3c
In stroke play, you must correct the mistake by continuing play with the original ball by playing it as it lies or taking relief under the Rules:
  • The stroke made with the wrong ball and any more strokes before the mistake is corrected do not count.
  • If you do not correct the mistake before making a stroke to begin another hole or, for the final hole of the round, before returning your scorecard, you are disqualified.
So if they replayed the hole what is the penalty?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So if they replayed the hole what is the penalty?

It would be Playing from a Wrong Place, Rule 14.7 and would incur a further 2 shot penalty minimum and possible DQ depending what they did next

b. How to Complete a Hole after Playing from Wrong Place in Stroke Play
(1) Player Must Decide Whether to Play Out Hole with Ball Played from Wrong Place or to Correct the Mistake by Playing from Right Place. What a player does next depends on whether it was a serious breach – that is, whether the player could have gained a significant advantage by playing from a wrong place:
• Not a Serious Breach. The player must play out the hole with the ball played from a wrong place, without correcting the mistake.
• Serious Breach.
 The player must correct the mistake by playing out the hole with a ball played from a right place under the Rules.
 If the player does not correct the mistake before making a stroke to begin another hole or, for the final hole of the round, before returning his or her scorecard, the player is disqualified.

In my opinion going back to the tee does not gain a significant advantage and therefore not a serious breach.

Remembering that all shots up to the point where they played the wrong ball are still counted in the hole total.

Jack Hammer

Visit site
Totally confused now. Are you saying that you can play your opponents ball and when you realise the error go back to the tee with no penalty? Surely that can’t be right as it could allow some unscrupulous players to play the wrong ball if they are having a bad hole

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Totally confused now. Are you saying that you can play your opponents ball and when you realise the error go back to the tee with no penalty? Surely that can’t be right as it could allow some unscrupulous players to play the wrong ball if they are having a bad hole
It isn't right.
You must go back to where you played the wrong ball and play the right ball. That will cost you 2 penalty strokes.
If you go back to the tee you will be playing from a wrong place which, as jim8flog says, will cost a minimum of another 2 penalty strokes.
If you don't do either you will be DQd.

Jack Hammer

Visit site
It isn't right.
You must go back to where you played the wrong ball and play the right ball. That will cost you 2 penalty strokes.
If you go back to the tee you will be playing from a wrong place which, as jim8flog says, will cost a minimum of another 2 penalty strokes.
If you don't do either you will be DQd.
Thank you - much appreciated

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I once played a wrong ball out of the semi rough after a playing partner informed me he had found my ball, this was my shot off the tee on the 18th during a board comp. I went back, found my correct ball and took a two shot penalty. I lost the comp by one shot and learned the lesson to identify my ball before striking it ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last year in a comp I pulled my tee shot into the trees left. Rough up a tough in there.

Walked to where my ball was and spotted the familiar dimple pattern of a Bridgestone ball. Waited for my playing partners to hit then lined up my shot. On the downswing with no time to react, to my horror... I spotted the letters TIGER staring back at me. Too late, I've hit the ball, it was gone.
Dropped the club in shock and shouted I've hit the wrong ball as it was landing near the green.

My ball was sitting no more than 3 yards away.

Lesson learnt. Again. Lol