Playing RCD tomorrow

keishdy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well folks,

The big mate and myself have treated ourselves to a round at my bucket list course tomorrow, Royal County Down. Himself and myself became 1st time dads this year and I thought, frig it lets go for it so hoping for a calm day tomorrow and to say in excited is an understatement. The most enjoyful 100+ shots I will ever take, eh? Any advice?

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
Played it a couple of times. Obviously its a tough course. You'll probably lose some balls but just enjoy it for what it is!!

Front 9 is beautiful. The view from the top of the hill on 9 is amazing.
There is a silly wee lake in the middle of the 17th fairway. Youd be surprised how easy it is to reach (I ended up in it both times) so don't take driver there.

I cant explain how nice the beers are after overlooking the par 3 10th.

Enjoy

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best piece of advice I can give you is buy a strokesaver and follow it to the letter when hitting the blind tee shots as on a few of them the line that looks correct from the tee will leave you in trouble.

It's a fantastic golf course and you will enjoy it and as soon as your finished you will want to play it again.

Enjoy and report back how you got on

keishdy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well as I am telling myself its a one off we are going the whole hog and taking caddies. I never thought I would ever have anyone else carry my golf bag for me, and to be honest I feel a bit awesome about it and a bit of a tool at the same time but I want to make the most of it. Liverdirdie - the course isn't played of fairway mats. You put my heart in my mouth when I read your comment, just spoke to the club its full fairways. If your ball is in any zoned off area you then take relief in the fist cut. A few Guinness after will definitely be sampled, as for the salmon. No way....

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
Well as I am telling myself its a one off we are going the whole hog and taking caddies. I never thought I would ever have anyone else carry my golf bag for me, and to be honest I feel a bit awesome about it and a bit of a tool at the same time but I want to make the most of it. Liverdirdie - the course isn't played of fairway mats. You put my heart in my mouth when I read your comment, just spoke to the club its full fairways. If your ball is in any zoned off area you then take relief in the fist cut. A few Guinness after will definitely be sampled, as for the salmon. No way....

Would recommend Royal Portrush too. I took some American friends to play it last winter when they were over.
Ended up being on a really cold morning and they actually moved to frost greens which was really disappointing but we thought that's the risk you take when paying a winter rate.
I sent an email to the club and they came straight back to me and offered us a free round at a time of our choosing. Even gave the visitors free club rental for the second round. Great touch from a great course...

keishdy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Would recommend Royal Portrush too. I took some American friends to play it last winter when they were over.
Ended up being on a really cold morning and they actually moved to frost greens which was really disappointing but we thought that's the risk you take when paying a winter rate.
I sent an email to the club and they came straight back to me and offered us a free round at a time of our choosing. Even gave the visitors free club rental for the second round. Great touch from a great course...

Played Portrush 3 or 4 years ago now, again in the winter. A course I will maybe give a crack again soon. Would love to play the new layout.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

:rofl:Ha, ha, I was only joking, I meant dont take any big divots, as I may land in one next week. :thup:

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Interestingly you can navigate your way round RCD quite well with long irons if you can hit them well. Don't throw it all away on the last with a duff off the tee and then lose the ball. :D

D

Deleted Member 1156

Enjoy! It's in my top 3 courses even though the greens were crap when I played it :thup:

keishdy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Interestingly you can navigate your way round RCD quite well with long irons if you can hit them well. Don't throw it all away on the last with a duff off the tee and then lose the ball. :D

Nothing more than a 5 iron for me and im no big hitter! 13 hours to my tee time im stupidly excited.

julsk10

Head Pro
Visit site
I played it on Tuesday, its in brilliant condition, greens are excellent, still quite quick for this time of year. Tees are forward a bit but that brings in bunkers that normally I can't reach. Enjoy.

keishdy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Played yesterday, course was everything i imagined. Superb condition and greens where fast and fair. Definetly ran true. It was only my 4th round this year and for a high handicapper like me it was a test of my limited abilities. I got 4 pars and hit 102 which i realize is a disaster for many but i was pleased. The holes themselves are class. I love the feeling playing a hole and its like its own mini golf course. Can see nothing else in the course. Its an amazing feeling taking it all in. The caddies were 1st class and full of epic stories. Made the round. very encouraging and made you feel great. Highlights for me were the 3rd the 7th and of course the famous views on the 9th are unreal. It is true the front 9 is more scenic in general but i fell overall the course is very strong and deserving of the praise it receives. If you are ever playing and having a caddie ask for Roger or Christian, Two top guys. It seems silly for me as a player of my skill set to offer advice but i will anyway, if you can keep it in the fairway of the tee you will have an opportunity to score. The rough will nail you as i found out. Drove the ball terribly but i didn't care. What an experience.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played yesterday, course was everything i imagined. Superb condition and greens where fast and fair. Definetly ran true. It was only my 4th round this year and for a high handicapper like me it was a test of my limited abilities. I got 4 pars and hit 102 which i realize is a disaster for many but i was pleased. The holes themselves are class. I love the feeling playing a hole and its like its own mini golf course. Can see nothing else in the course. Its an amazing feeling taking it all in. The caddies were 1st class and full of epic stories. Made the round. very encouraging and made you feel great. Highlights for me were the 3rd the 7th and of course the famous views on the 9th are unreal. It is true the front 9 is more scenic in general but i fell overall the course is very strong and deserving of the praise it receives. If you are ever playing and having a caddie ask for Roger or Christian, Two top guys. It seems silly for me as a player of my skill set to offer advice but i will anyway, if you can keep it in the fairway of the tee you will have an opportunity to score. The rough will nail you as i found out. Drove the ball terribly but i didn't care. What an experience.

The above sums up what golf should be like. Fun.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
#

How did you find the 4th ? I played it on consecutive days, first day on the green with a 5 iron, 2nd day was a full out driver. The caddies are all great and need to be listened to. Great that you enjoyed it, its been by far and away the best course I have ever played, an experience you will always remember