playing partners - what would you do?

collins

Club Champion
Visit site
I play with a good mate of mine on a fri once every 4 weeks. We go out after he has dropped his son at school, ideally I would like to play earlier but I did enjoy playing with him as I play on my own most other weeks.

So last friday he started well and was level par after 3 holes, I thought he's gonna break 100 for the first time and we are gonna have a great morning, but then it all started going bad with a 7,9 and 8 and his mood changed! On the 13th he picked up and left saying it's not gonna get any better!

4 weeks ago it was the same sort of thing and I talked him out of giving the game up and in the car home suggested he should have some lessons because I can see some serious flaws in his short game but he wont listen to me (I didn't say the last bit about the flaws to him!) Previously I have tried to encourage (not advise!) and he just asks me not to say anything! On Fri I mentioned that it's easier to play pitch and run than lob type shots around the green and he promptly chipped in with his next approach after 2 dodgy lobs!

Now I think I can't be bothered with him, why should I wait til he can play and then have him stomp off when it goes wrong, my last 2 rounds with him have been 6 and 7 over par but he can't even say well played cos he's so angry with himself. I told a couple of mates who play a bit and both said that they thought it was rude to leave me on my own so that sort of vindicated how I felt.

What do you guys think - I like the bloke, we have a laugh and I want to see anyone I play with have a good round, indeed a couple of my other mates have said they like the encouragement and tips I give them. Anyone else got mates like this and what do you say to them?

davethepro

Hacker
Visit site
Hi collins,

Although he is your mate this behaviour is unacceptable, Its obvious he does not want to improve and I think you should not play with him until he is willing to improve his eticate, I play with my friend and although he looses his temper sometimes i dont mind because he thrives on getting better and he listens to me, he was also flirting with the 100 mark but now he hits under 90 quite regually and his golf eticate is quite exeptional and now I can enjoy playing golf with my friends.

hope this helps

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Collins--give him a wide berth until he learns some manners.
If he is no prepared to either listen to advice or take lessons he should put up with his curent abiltiy or give the game up.

Storming off teh course is not the answer-we all have the same thoughts when things are going badly but the majority of us knuckle down and play on.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I sympathise - it's hard to enjoy your own round with your partner in a strop, and sounds like you've been very tactful and polite in the circumstances. Just depends on how much you want his company - or can you find some new partners in the club? then he might see how his attitude is letting him down.

AliB

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd suggest letting the arrangement slip and see if he contacts you. If he does tell hime straight your not sure and explain why. He'll either feel really embarrassed about how he has behaved or cop a strop and not want to play anyway.

I presume you are a member somewhere? If so I'd suggest putting a note on the locker room noticeboard asking for a game and seeing what reaction you get

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Collins,that is bang out of order. There are 2 of you out there you know,he is not on his own and has a responsibility to you also.

When I joined my place I didnt know anyone so I put my name down for everything I could.

Drawn competitions,teams etc.etc. It wont take you long to make pals.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been in the same situation and i hate it. Your playing well and ya partner isn't, you give them advice and they wont digest it. They mess up and then get stroppy.

I would be looking for another partner if i was you, i hate playing with feet stamping club bashers, makes my game go down hill!

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know it's hard not to walk off whenever you'r playing bad but to leave you on you're own is totaly out of order.
I would say something to him about it and if it happens again then just tell him to find a new partner.
Bad eticate on the course is worse than bad golf.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would have slapped him across the face with my glove and told him to stop acting like a child! This is totally unacceptable behaviour!

Seriously mate, I would give him a wide birth for a while, how much of a mate is he?

mrobbie

Club Champion
Visit site
I've left the course half way round the course after playing no good shots at all. Only left as my playing partner was playing just as badly (we both had a late night the night before!) and after both having yet another 3 putt on the 9th we called it a day. If he had been playing well, I would have stuck it out.

Some days you are just not in the mood for it, but its bad manners to leave the other on their own.

Plenty other fish in the sea - get out and find a playing partner who appreciates the game more.

collins

Club Champion
Visit site
thanks for the replies - he is a good mate and work mate too but I wont be playing with him in the near future. We'll see how it goes.
I played on my own this morning 730 start home by 1045 and my best round ever of 2 over par including my first ever 2 on a par 4!! I loved it!!

All the best to you all!