Playing in glasses

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
In recent years I have had to start playing in glasses and it can be a right pain. Especially in drizzle. Contacts aren't an option because of my particular vision problem so it has to be specs.

Other than mini windscreen wipers does anyone have a good way of minimising the hassle when playing. I tend to rely on a peaked cap but it's still a flaming nuisance.

And while on the subject. Do any bins wearers have a method of keeping the lenses smear free. Just got a new pair this week and find myself cleaning the jeffing things 1000 times a day despite me never handling the 'glass' directly!! 👀

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In recent years I have had to start playing in glasses and it can be a right pain. Especially in drizzle. Contacts aren't an option because of my particular vision problem so it has to be specs.

Other than mini windscreen wipers does anyone have a good way of minimising the hassle when playing. I tend to rely on a peaked cap but it's still a flaming nuisance.

And while on the subject. Do any bins wearers have a method of keeping the lenses smear free. Just got a new pair this week and find myself cleaning the jeffing things 1000 times a day despite me never handling the 'glass' directly!! 👀

Fortunately I can wear contacts when playing - but I'm 100% with on the new glasses and smearing - they are a nightmare to keep smearfree - never had this problem before with glasses - wonder if they are using a new coating for some reason - anti-glare or summit? Dunno - but a right pain.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Get yourself one of those massive baseball caps that Rickie Fowler & Dustin John wear. You could shelter the population of a small country under them.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Try trimming your eyebrows, they can hold a lot of moisture which can get transferred to the lenses if your specs are too close to your face, same problem with sweat in summer.

If it's teaming down I wear a big bush hat, only issue then is rain dripping off the rim onto your ball whilst putting.

Another reason could be bursting into tears after a bad shot, but I'm sure we can discount that :) :)

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Baseball cap and brolly for me. The biggest problem I found when playing when wearing specs is that I wear variofocal and the distortion between the two areas of the lens takes a bit of getting used to. As for cleaning, the best I've found over the years is Autoglym Glass Cleaner.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I couldn't play in my varifocals, so finally took the plunge and had my eyes lasered a few years ago.

Freeedom!
(And I can wear eye make up again but I guess you're not too bothered about that...)

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only time it gets on my nerves is as you said that light drizzly rain. Usually just wear a cap and use a brolly when it's chucking down. I recently retired an old pair as the lenses were really scratched and put my spare pair back on, the world was suddenly in HD again! Helps when looking for the stray balls!

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just got new glasses with some doo dah coating. Water runs right off it leaving a few tiny blobs, virtually smear free when wiped off. Very impressed so far. Steaming up is a separate issue though...really annoying, but doesn't happen too much at this time of year.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
like other have said try and wear a cap. i try not to wipe the lenses as that tends to smear them.

never found it a massive issue

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Much has been said above. Guess you've been recently checked by optition re your sight issue as I did not used to be able to use contacts but with recent changes in technology I can now and it is great (my issue was perscription in vertical plane is different to horizontal.)

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just got new glasses with some doo dah coating. Water runs right off it leaving a few tiny blobs, virtually smear free when wiped off. Very impressed so far. Steaming up is a separate issue though...really annoying, but doesn't happen too much at this time of year.
Any chance you could check what the name of your doodah coating is? Sounds great!:thup:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Freeedom!
(And I can wear eye make up again but I guess you're not too bothered about that...)

I might when I'm I'm playing as JennyDee. I sometimes like to play off the reds😜

Interesting as I was wondering if such a thing existed. I have the anti reflective gubbins on mine and that makes the smearing even worse I'm told. Do you know if the stuff you've got can be retro-applied or is it at the time glasses are made?

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
http://www.boots.com/en/Opticians/Glasses/Guide-to-your-glasses-lenses/#requestEyeCheck
either upgrade options. Pricey, but worth it. I suffer from headaches and migraines working on laptop around 25 hrs per week. Only had one headache in a few weeks since picking up a couple of new pairs (and that was probs due to a 9hr gap between brekkie and lunch that day...), prescription adjustment from previous 5year old pair was minimal but a likely contributing factor.
Worthwhile getting them to show you their water smear test prior to any purchase. Sure there will be cheaper products out there, but we had some vouchers needing used so didn't bother shopping around.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

mine fog over every morning especially this time of year due to cold glasses meeting hot face.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to wear glasses for golf, but my eye sight has improved over the last few years. An advantage of getting old.;)

So there are some advantages then? So far they're proving somewhat elusive for the doddery old git.

I'm even starting to make the involuntary old git noises when I stand up or sit down these days 😀

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I might when I'm I'm playing as JennyDee. I sometimes like to play off the reds😜

Interesting as I was wondering if such a thing existed. I have the anti reflective gubbins on mine and that makes the smearing even worse I'm told. Do you know if the stuff you've got can be retro-applied or is it at the time glasses are made?

Ah - I think that must be the sort of finish that the lenses of my new glasses have.