placing ball on tee for player

Yogidog1

Visit site
Evening all,not sure what the ruling is on this one.I played last week in a friendly game with two others,when we teed off for the first 4 holes the older guy was shaking as he tried to place the ball on the tee,so his mate placed it on for him,as this was only a friendly sociable game I had no issues with it as I think the guy was a little bit embarrased.After 4 holes he must have settled down and was able to place his ball on the tee.My question is how does this stand in club comps we have ? Is this allowed ? is there any penalty ?
All answers appreciated.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the same way, a player can use a device to place tee and ball because he has a physical difficulty in bending down to do it. I was close to needing one when my hips were really bad but just managed to tee my ball up. I did need a gadget or a kindly companion to get my ball out the hole, though.

I can think of only one situation restricted to the player alone and that's dropping a ball. Am I missing anything?

Swango1980

Visit site
As above. If it doesn't say you can't then you can.
I agree with your ruling, but not sure you can always use that statement as a golden rule? That was seen from the other thread posed yesterday by tobybarker about creating a line in the grass for alignment by dragging the clubhead (or foot or whatever else). The agreement for that question was he could not do it, despite it being difficult to find reference in the rules to that specific action (salfordlad provided an official answer, although I believe you asked where the source of this could be found, yet to be answered).

As rules and handicap Guru Banchory Buddha said to it not being specifically found in the rules:, "Of course not, because it's so ridiculous. People complain the rules are too in depth, and then you get this, where clearly it falls foul of using an alignment aid for your stroke but because it's not specifically mentioned you think it'd be OK. god's sake"

P.S. I agree with the rulings in both threads, it was just that the rules in the other thread didn't seem to specifically mention the prohibited action, unless it is somewhere within the "interpretations", or you you need to define dragging a club head (or foot) as "setting down an object" (which I certainly would not, I would have though setting down an object would be physically placing a club or alignment stick on the ground to line you your stance).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with your ruling, but not sure you can always use that statement as a golden rule? That was seen from the other thread posed yesterday by tobybarker about creating a line in the grass for alignment by dragging the clubhead (or foot or whatever else). The agreement for that question was he could not do it, despite it being difficult to find reference in the rules to that specific action (salfordlad provided an official answer, although I believe you asked where the source of this could be found, yet to be answered).

As rules and handicap Guru Banchory Buddha said to it not being specifically found in the rules:, "Of course not, because it's so ridiculous. People complain the rules are too in depth, and then you get this, where clearly it falls foul of using an alignment aid for your stroke but because it's not specifically mentioned you think it'd be OK. god's sake"

P.S. I agree with the rulings in both threads, it was just that the rules in the other thread didn't seem to specifically mention the prohibited action, unless it is somewhere within the "interpretations", or you you need to define dragging a club head (or foot) as "setting down an object" (which I certainly would not, I would have though setting down an object would be physically placing a club or alignment stick on the ground to line you your stance).
It's ok, we can just use our common sense to plug the gaps.

;)

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What if you believe that you have common sense but the evidence strongly indicates otherwise?
You tell me? I've never been in that situation. :p

I nearly mentioned you in my response (interpret the rules based on common sense), but I refrained from doing so ;)
Haha. No it's fair enough, I'm with you. You can't really say if the rules don't prohibit it it's fine, as there will be plenty of situations where that doesn't work.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

salfordlad has just posted the USGA ruling and it clearly states the Rule is a 'prohibition'. ie can't.
I have posted that statement many times on various forums but to the best of my knowledge it has never been shown to be wrong.

salfordlad

Visit site
salfordlad has just posted the USGA ruling and it clearly states the Rule is a 'prohibition'. ie can't.
I have posted that statement many times on various forums but to the best of my knowledge it has never been shown to be wrong.
It is a general guideline that holds most of the time. But it is not always true. I have seen a number of cases where it is simply wrong, but did not take a specific note at the time. Another similar shibboleth is 'permission trumps prohibition'. It too generally holds, but there are contrary examples.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
It is a general guideline that holds most of the time. But it is not always true. I have seen a number of cases where it is simply wrong, but did not take a specific note at the time. Another similar shibboleth is 'permission trumps prohibition'. It too generally holds, but there are contrary examples.
It's not a real "rule" unless there are exceptions!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Let me know when you encounter one ;)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had to get my brother to do this a few years ago on the tees on the back 9 , I was on a golf trip and played 9 days on the trot and tweaked my groin ?