Pivot/Shoulder motion could be more important to the achievable standard of play

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Re: Pivot/Shoulder motion could be more important to the achievable standard of

This is literally exactly what I am working on with my coach at the moment.

My backswing is so flat that I was thinning the ball a lot of the time. I am literally doing the drill they are talking about and the difference is phenomenal. Completely different position for me and resulting in much higher ball flight.

One thing I have noticed, I used to play with a good draw on the ball but I am now losing shots out to the right since this change. Do you have any tips to correct this? I believe it I am not getting the face closed in time, but I didn't have this issue before.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is literally exactly what I am working on with my coach at the moment.

My backswing is so flat that I was thinning the ball a lot of the time. I am literally doing the drill they are talking about and the difference is phenomenal. Completely different position for me and resulting in much higher ball flight.

One thing I have noticed, I used to play with a good draw on the ball but I am now losing shots out to the right since this change. Do you have any tips to correct this? I believe it I am not getting the face closed in time, but I didn't have this issue before.

it's real difficult to be precise as to why this may be happening not knowing grip hold/set-up/address alignments/ball position along with the particular swing motion sequence - along with what type the flight of the misses to rightfield are like ball starting direction right stay straight ball starting direction right curving right

bunch of stuff that could be playing into it

things you could check over in the 'statics' before any motion would be

- the grip hold on the handle - one or both hands rotated counterclockwise on the handle at set-up so a tad weak - would check over the lead hand particularly are you only seeing one knuckle at address

- shoulder alignment in relation to target line at address

in motion checkover that you not just tilting the lead shoulder down while not still rotating/turning the lead shoulder which leads to not completing the shoulder turn to around 90º - so make sure the lead shoulder moving to trailside of the ball

check over that although the new move of more 'tilt' with the shoulder turn is starting off pretty good you are not as the club gets to the top of the swing coming out of posture by straightening up the upper body so the shoulder plane then returns to be more level (to ground)

check over you not backing out/leaning back to trailside as you come into impact with the chest rising upwards - feel that as you turn back through the downswing to impact the chest is covering the ball

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
it's real difficult to be precise as to why this may be happening not knowing grip hold/set-up/address alignments/ball position along with the particular swing motion sequence - along with what type the flight of the misses to rightfield are like ball starting direction right stay straight ball starting direction right curving right

bunch of stuff that could be playing into it

things you could check over in the 'statics' before any motion would be

- the grip hold on the handle - one or both hands rotated counterclockwise on the handle at set-up so a tad weak - would check over the lead hand particularly are you only seeing one knuckle at address

- shoulder alignment in relation to target line at address

in motion checkover that you not just tilting the lead shoulder down while not still rotating/turning the lead shoulder which leads to not completing the shoulder turn to around 90º - so make sure the lead shoulder moving to trailside of the ball

check over that although the new move of more 'tilt' with the shoulder turn is starting off pretty good you are not as the club gets to the top of the swing coming out of posture by straightening up the upper body so the shoulder plane then returns to be more level (to ground)

check over you not backing out/leaning back to trailside as you come into impact with the chest rising upwards - feel that as you turn back through the downswing to impact the chest is covering the ball

Awesome thanks Coach. I am hoping my grip is all good as I have worked on that recently and it is something I keep an eye on.

It could definitely be one of the other things you mentioned you. I do have an issue with leaning back during the shot which could be having quite a bad effect.

The shot shape is starting straight and curving off to the right, it can be quite a wild slice, which is something i never used to have.

Next time I am at the range I will work on what you have mentioned.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is one of my recurring bad faults.

I should get 'left shoulder down to the ball' stitched on the top of my driver head cover so I see it all the time.