Pitch marks - again.

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
repaired 13 on one of our par 3's last time I was out, some people just don't give a crap. Ours have just been tined, so some people may think they don't need to bother.

Idiots.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I understand that there's no 100% solution to it, but I refuse to think that there's absolutely nothing you can do to make the situation better.

Tasers aren't as permanent as a bullet + no body to get rid of!!
Plus think of that lovely sanctimonious, warm glow you would experience as you retrieve the barbs and tell them that next time they don't repair ANY pitch mark- you'll turn up the charge!!
Going by the above comments this sort of sanction could become very popular up and down the country as this sort of ( ignorance?) behaviour has no geographical boundaries-always assuming it would be approved by the various G.U's/ club committees /police boards etc:whistle:
Drastic times demand drastic actions methinks........Wonder if any of our beloved MODS have these probs and how they approach solving them:unsure:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's selfish and lazy and can't see a solution that doesn't involve catching and punishing the idle gits. Same as those that don't clear up after their dogs - you can give them a heap of bags but they aint changing their ways.

I can't believe the state of the bunkers since rakes have been put back in use - again purely selfish and lazy behaviour. In our 18th yesterday my right foot was literally in a hole from some numpty who had thrashed about in there for a while.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For members; If you’re caught not repairing a pitchmark you have to wear a mankini on your next round (or you don’t get a tee time till you do) ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oakdale GC have a couple of these dotted around some of their early holes. They really is as big as they look!

It does jar you to look even more carefully for marks to repair.

View attachment 38225
although an eyesore you coins use these with coloured tops as fairway markers also, 95% of players look for markers so would see these 2-3 times per hole.

With an influx of new members at most clubs over the past 18 months, it shocks me that no basic etiquette training is given to complete noobies.

I can still recall my first junior membership I had to play a round with the junior organiser and junior captain. I was assessed on standard etiquette such as playing within turn, slow play, talking when people were playing, walking in people’s putting line and so on. I was also particularly watched on raking bunkers, reseeding tee boxes, pitch mark repairs and fairway divots …. This should be standard form with all new golfers, and some that need a brush up.

I was fortunate enough to have learned a lot about the game from a long stint caddying at the addington and those habits are still with me today.

When walking fairways I generally look for divots that crows have picked out and replace them.

On the green if I’ve pitched front I will normally leave my bag pin high then walk back to the line I entered the green and loon for any marks on route to my ball repairing those on route, it’s also not unknown for me to address a putt and see one I’ve missed and throw a pitch repairer or tee at it so I don’t miss it after I’ve putted.

Try to seed at least one other divot on tee boxes at the same time as mine

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’m quite taken back at the scale in some of the examples/comments. Admittedly I don’t quarter-walk each green to look for them but on a bad day I might see a couple of unrepaired pitch marks that didn’t come from our shots in and maybe only on a couple of greens in a round (& like most players these will be done when we leave along with our own) so how is it possible for a green end up with dozens

Even for a green to reach double figures is quite some feat and almost seems deliberate to reach that number. That’d have to mean no players in multiple groups for hour after hour repairs anything… just how!

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think this is an issue everywhere. I love repairing a pitchmark - as it means I've hit the green for once :ROFLMAO: that aside I try to repair at least 3 pitchmarks on a green - I can't do them all as that would take too long, but if everyone done it then this wouldn't be an issue.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i played The Heritage course at the London Club a few weeks ago and there were lots of unrepaired pitch marks on the greens and given that is the members only course they cant go blaming visitors for it.

i make a habit of trying to fix as many pitch marks as i can without holding up play

D

Deleted member 21258

As I play alot of golf late evening, as the sun drops you can see loads of pitch marks in the light/shadow, quite often repair 3-4 a green before moving on.

Not sure there is an answer but keep reminding people and nudging them.

wjemather

Visit site
i played The Heritage course at the London Club a few weeks ago and there were lots of unrepaired pitch marks on the greens and given that is the members only course they cant go blaming visitors for it.
This is the self-righteous bs heard at many clubs despite 95% of their traffic being from members. One members club local to me even had signs erected that were directed exclusively at visitors, who they had held responsible for most of their unrepaired pitchmarks. Following lockdown and several months of members-only golf, reality struck and they finally accepted that almost all of the unrepaired pitchmarks must have been left by members.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
We introduced something a few years ago that seemed to work and at least improve the situation (you'll never resolve it because some people are just plain *****, members and visitors alike!): split 18 holes by the surnames of your membership, A gets 1st, B gets 2nd, C gets 3rd and so on (you may need to divide more if too many players, e.g. 1 is A to AM get 1st, AN to AZ get 2nd, etc.). Those players then take care of those greens, repairing all pitch marks including their own on that green whenever they play. Sheet is on the noticeboard and gets emailed once a year as a reminder.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We introduced something a few years ago that seemed to work and at least improve the situation (you'll never resolve it because some people are just plain *****, members and visitors alike!): split 18 holes by the surnames of your membership, A gets 1st, B gets 2nd, C gets 3rd and so on (you may need to divide more if too many players, e.g. 1 is A to AM get 1st, AN to AZ get 2nd, etc.). Those players then take care of those greens, repairing all pitch marks including their own on that green whenever they play. Sheet is on the noticeboard and gets emailed once a year as a reminder.
We do the same....

Doesn't work:cautious::rolleyes:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I haven't read every post so apologies if this has been mentioned already.
Trolleys are the problem.

You hit your approach shot onto the green which lands on the front third of the green and bounces/rolls up pin high.
Then you wheel your trolley around the green towards the next tee which is often back left or right.
You then walk onto the green from the back and proceed to putt out walking back to your trolley by the same route.
At no time are you anywhere near your pitchmark and it's not seen or just forgotten.

If however you carry your bag, you walk up the green, passing and repairing your pitchmark on the way to your ball.
Problem solved.
So if you want smooth greens, ban trolleys.
Or put your ''please repair your pitchmark'' sign on the same side as the next tee so that golfers see it BEFORE they putt.

D

Deleted member 25172

I haven't read every post so apologies if this has been mentioned already.
Trolleys are the problem.

You hit your approach shot onto the green which lands on the front third of the green and bounces/rolls up pin high.
Then you wheel your trolley around the green towards the next tee which is often back left or right.
You then walk onto the green from the back and proceed to putt out walking back to your trolley by the same route.
At no time are you anywhere near your pitchmark and it's not seen or just forgotten.

If however you carry your bag, you walk up the green, passing and repairing your pitchmark on the way to your ball.
Problem solved.
So if you want smooth greens, ban trolleys.
Or put your ''please repair your pitchmark'' sign on the same side as the next tee so that golfers see it BEFORE they putt.

As I've said in previous posts, I'll refuse to believe that there's nothing that can be done, and want ideas that could improve things. However, banning trolley's will NEVER happen though. Like, never ever. If we're not talking about midst of winter and the greens are generally crap anyway. My beef with this problem is more related to the "main season".

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As I've said in previous posts, I'll refuse to believe that there's nothing that can be done, and want ideas that could improve things. However, banning trolley's will NEVER happen though. Like, never ever. If we're not talking about midst of winter and the greens are generally crap anyway. My beef with this problem is more related to the "main season".
Banning trolleys was a joke but I did give you a suggestion about where to place your signs