Ping Irons-Liked the iron, disliked the durability

Tom 48

Visit site
It's all relative, 5 failures out of the 13 in your bag is high, 5 out of the hundreds of thousands or even millions that Ping sold is not. So step one would be to see if the issue is just affecting you or many other Ping G30 owners, probably best to do this before criticising Ping too much, it could be the quality of the materials, or how the clubhead and shaft have been glued, but it could also be something to do with how you have stored, used, cleaned etc.. the clubs

The one in warranty was replaced no questions asked, it seems, which to me seems more than fair given we still don't know the root cause for the failure.

In response to both Dibby and chrisd I'd like to think that I'm a pretty average guy. I try o hit down on the ball but the divots are not violent or huge. My average club head speed with my driver is 104 mph and that isn't going to scare any of the big hitters down here in Sarasota FL during the winter of up in Buffalo, NY in the summer. My clubs pretty much live in my SUV, they are not stored in a humidity controlled locker room. Club heads are cleaned with a wet rag, either by the cart guy at the end of the round or by me. I agree with Dibby that it would be helpful if I could more responses from G30 owners. Any suggestions how I could do this? I couldn't find a suitable site on the Ping web site to ask this question.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You keep your clubs in your car in Florida? Not saying that's the cause of this failure, but that can't be good for them with the heat and humidity of that climate.

Unrelated, if your average clubhead speed is 104 and you're over 60 (based on the playing for 50 years) that puts you in the 99th percentile, rather than average guy territory.

Tom 48

Visit site
You keep your clubs in your car in Florida? Not saying that's the cause of this failure, but that can't be good for them with the heat and humidity of that climate.

Unrelated, if your average clubhead speed is 104 and you're over 60 (based on the playing for 50 years) that puts you in the 99th percentile, rather than average guy territory.
Thanks for the kind statistic Dibby. Hard to believe since so many people give me a run for my money down here.

Not that hot and humid down here in the winter.Summers of course are a different story. Actually, probably hotter and more humid in Buffalo during the summer than down here in the winter.

By the way, did you have any suggestions on how I could get with other G 30 owners?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
In response to both Dibby and chrisd I'd like to think that I'm a pretty average guy. I try o hit down on the ball but the divots are not violent or huge. My average club head speed with my driver is 104 mph and that isn't going to scare any of the big hitters down here in Sarasota FL during the winter of up in Buffalo, NY in the summer. My clubs pretty much live in my SUV, they are not stored in a humidity controlled locker room. Club heads are cleaned with a wet rag, either by the cart guy at the end of the round or by me. I agree with Dibby that it would be helpful if I could more responses from G30 owners. Any suggestions how I could do this? I couldn't find a suitable site on the Ping web site to ask this question.

If it's gear your talking about then that's not this forum's strongpoint, post your queries on WRX and you should get loads of replies.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
If you buy anything second hand you don't always know the provenance of those items during their lifetime. You may treat them well but well knows how they were cared for by the previous owner(s)? I do feel for you but this is a chance you take buying anything used.

Tom 48

Visit site
If you buy anything second hand you don't always know the provenance of those items during their lifetime. You may treat them well but well knows how they were cared for by the previous owner(s)? I do feel for you but this is a chance you take buying anything used.
Not sure where you got the idea that these were second hand Robster, but I bought them new

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think OP is doing the right thing asking here. Consumer rights lawyer I listen to on his LBC radio prog (Dean Dunham) advises looking online for others with same issue. If it the same issue seems to have occurred quite frequently then the claimant has a case regardless the product being out of warranty - if there is a common fault and many cases then consumer law provides the buyer with rights. I’m not sure whether the rights are with the seller or manufacturer when product is out of warranty. I doubt the same rights apply for second hand purchases.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/special-shows/consumer-hour/

Last edited:

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think OP is doing the right thing asking here. Consumer rights lawyer I listen to on his LBC radio prog (Dean Dunham) advises looking online for others with same issue. If it the same issue seems to have occurred quite frequently then the claimant has a case regardless the product being out of warranty - if there is a common fault and many cases then consumer law provides the buyer with rights. I’m not sure whether the rights are with the seller or manufacturer when product is out of warranty. I doubt the same rights apply for second hand purchases.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/special-shows/consumer-hour/

In the UK yes, even outside of warranty there is an expectation of goods lasting a reasonable length of time, obviously reasonable being subjective, based on cost and expected usage of the item. Unfortunately the OP is in the US, so different consumer rights apply, to which I have no knowledge but if forced to guess, would suspect they are less favourable to the consumer than here in the UK.

Tom 48

Visit site
In the UK yes, even outside of warranty there is an expectation of goods lasting a reasonable length of time, obviously reasonable being subjective, based on cost and expected usage of the item. Unfortunately the OP is in the US, so different consumer rights apply, to which I have no knowledge but if forced to guess, would suspect they are less favourable to the consumer than here in the UK.
I am not the litigious type. But I think I do have one more response to ping in Me. I would like to gather some additional information so I can make the response reasonable.Trust me, I am not expecting that I will be satisfied with pings response.

Tom 48

Visit site
My feeling is you're more likely to get a positive result by writing a really nice letter to someone senior, saying how disappointed you are with a company with such a great name for quality and customer service.

Instead of a demand, maybe a request along the lines of "is there anything you can do to help, and to keep my good faith in the Ping brand?"

They might come back with an offer of a discount on new set or something ?‍♂️
Nice post Tramonator. I will definitely take your advice.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the OP is expecting far too much from ping. You have had a product for 5 years. That's a long time. They have no control over how you use them, store them, look after them. 2 years is reasonable, 3 stretching it but 5 is well beyond what they are responsible for.

Traminator is right, write a nice letter and see where that gets you. If the answer is nowhere then I'd be getting the clubs reshafted and move on, not necessarily from ping directly as the charge quoted sounds excessive.

Tom 48

Visit site
An update. I received an email yesterday from Ping:

"Mr. ...........,

I am writing in regards to a review you left for your G30 irons. Management has approved reshafting the irons that have not been reshafted so that all of the irons will have new shafts. This would be done at no charge to you. There is one stipulation that we ask of you. We would like for you to have the lie angle(the dot) checked by a PING fitter in your area. If the lie angle is incorrect, it can put undue strain on the shaft which can cause graphite shafts to break. Once you have this checked and confirmed, I will set up a repair order to have your entire set returned to PING. We will reshaft the ones that need to be reshafted and adjust/check the lie angle to be sure it is correct."

I appreciate Ping's concern and will be following through on the process. I believe I was fitted correctly but no harm in a double check.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
An update. I received an email yesterday from Ping:

"Mr. ...........,

I am writing in regards to a review you left for your G30 irons. Management has approved reshafting the irons that have not been reshafted so that all of the irons will have new shafts. This would be done at no charge to you. There is one stipulation that we ask of you. We would like for you to have the lie angle(the dot) checked by a PING fitter in your area. If the lie angle is incorrect, it can put undue strain on the shaft which can cause graphite shafts to break. Once you have this checked and confirmed, I will set up a repair order to have your entire set returned to PING. We will reshaft the ones that need to be reshafted and adjust/check the lie angle to be sure it is correct."

I appreciate Ping's concern and will be following through on the process. I believe I was fitted correctly but no harm in a double check.

Amazing response from Ping in my opinion! Cant ask for more can you!?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Amazing response from Ping in my opinion! Cant ask for more can you!?
No company likes upset customers- and when the customer approaches them in a ' I'm disappointed can you help please' rather than a
in a demanding way - well - it's nice to be nice :)

And so with my eyes set on a new set of Pings later this year - I can progress with confidence in my purchase given the customer service Ping have provided to you - albeit with a little bit of prodding from you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great response. Ping do have a decent reputation for this and this reiterates this. I assume the OP will need to get some sort of proof from a Ping fitter after lockdown but that shouldn't be a hardship (and may be an eye-opener) to get a set of re-shafted clubs