Picturesque parkland courses for weekend break.

Seany

Visit site
I would be grateful for recommendations on courses within a 3 hour drive of London. Social golf rather than anything too serious for players between 14 - 24 handicap looking to play next spring.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Crikey. You're going to be inundated with suggestions with the criteria you have laid out. Can you not be a little more specific with which direction you would prefer to be heading in?
3 hours from London is going to take you well up into the Midlands, down to Dorset, out to East Anglia etc. Far too many good golf courses to list.
What sort of prices you are looking to pay etc?
A good website to use to get an idea of courses in any particular area is this one...
http://www.uk-golfguide.com/index.html?

It lists all of the courses within any chosen area together with reviews on each one (by people who have actually paid to play) together with links to each clubs website (if they have one) which will give you full details of green fees etc.
Hope that helps?
Rob

Seany

Visit site
Hi Rob

Sorry I guess it is a bit vague, we were thinking about Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire and I am sure it is a very good course but I was thinking about maybe a course with some water holes for some drama and maybe not so famous that there will be hoards of players such as at The Belfry.

Part of the problem is that we are spoilt for choice as we are happy to go in any direction, if someone could fix the weather for us in May that would be great.

Thanks
Sean

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Woodhall Spa Hotchkin has all the drama you can handle on a golf course. You don't need water. The best golf course I have ever played, and every hole is a picture.

EaseNgrace

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi Rob

Sorry I guess it is a bit vague, we were thinking about Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire and I am sure it is a very good course but I was thinking about maybe a course with some water holes for some drama and maybe not so famous that there will be hoards of players such as at The Belfry.

Part of the problem is that we are spoilt for choice as we are happy to go in any direction, if someone could fix the weather for us in May that would be great.

Thanks
Sean

Im hoping to play Woodhall Spa on a weekend break next year, it looks fantastic and i've heard nothing but praise for it. Cant go wrong.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have never played Woodhall Spa but have heard it is absolutely fantastic. I will get to play it at sometime.
I understand it can be a little expensive at certain times of the year, if you didn't really want to spend as much as that then I could suggest Old Thorns near Liphook in Hampshire. Plenty of water on that one to keep you amused and some pretty good holes there.
Last time we played it (a year ago) it was like a bloody quagmire but it should be in good condition in May.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Depending which part of London you are in then 3 hours should take you to Devon. Why not try the Ashbury Manor. If you stay in Maddeford (the golf course accommodation) you are away from the majority of families and kids. There are two 18 hole courses and three loops of nine. The courses are pretty good but not so hard for higher handicappers not to enjoy them and score well

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a tough one to call. Most courses in the South and Midlands are quite pricey, but if money is not such an issue (keeping in touch with reality here) I'd recommend West Hill or Hayling Island. Two of my favourite courses, one heathland, one links (ish).

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Depending which part of London you are in then 3 hours should take you to Devon. Why not try the Ashbury Manor.

Called in there to have a look around on our return from Lanhydrock in the Summer.
Got to be honest Homer, the place looked like Colditz in comparison to where we had just come from. And from what we could see the courses had a great variety of staked trees and marker posts....
Not my cup of tea at all

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say for a stag weekend or a relatively cheap weekend with your mates with everything in one place its not too bad. When I went they only had the 3 loops of nine and one 18 holer which was quite mature so I'm guessing you were looking at the newer of the courses. I have to say Lanydrock is great and so would have looked like luxury compared to Ashbury

Seany

Visit site
Thanks All

Old Thorns sounds interesting; will defintely do a bit more research. Also reassuring to hear good comments about Woodhall Spa. I have played Woburn many times and agree with Robobum's comments,they are all great courses.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When I went they only had the 3 loops of nine and one 18 holer which was quite mature so I'm guessing you were looking at the newer of the courses.

They now have 7 x 18 hole golf courses... :eek: :eek:

Call me sceptical if you like but can you imagine the months, if not years, of concise and accurate planning that went into each one of those 126 holes????

:D :D :D :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know there is an element of sarcyness in Smiffys comment but you play a mixture of the 3 nines to make up the different 18 hole combinations, plus two stand alone 18 holers and a par 3 course. I actually like it down there as I tend to go out early and beat the rush and if I go in Summer means I can have an early lunch and be out while the majority are eating, back in time for a kip, dinner and then use the free snooker tables in the evening