PGA Tour smoking ban?

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
**Contentious subject alert**

I've seen a couple of tweets and articles of late advocating a ban on players smoking on the course in televised tournaments.

I understand the PGA is seriously considering it at the moment.

Suppose it comes down to setting an example vs protecting personal liberties.

What are people's thoughts? :D

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
As a non-smoker I don't really have a view.

I see people smoking during a round at my track and have no objection to it. I'm sure plently of people on here who do smoke enjoy a cigarette or two during a round.

I can't really see the point of banning it unless it's one of these bonkers heath and safety laws about somking in the workplace :D

How do golf courses (especially in the states) stand on smoking as a lot of theme parks in the states are non smoking and have designated areas set aside for smokers?

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think the tour's thinking behind a ban is that kids idolise players and seeing them smoking on the course could lead to them copying them?

Darren Clarke was talking about having to improve his "masking" technique during the Open, so think it's something he was well aware of and trying to hide a bit.

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Probably brought about by seeing that finely tuned athlete Darren Clarke puffing away at the Open.
Personally, I think it presents the wrong image but that's just my view.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Maybe so.

In the grand scheme of things other factors in life will have a bigger influence on whether someone starts smoking than a tour player having a quick burn?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its nonsense.

I'm a non smoker, but banning it on the course, in the wide open space?

Children are going to smoke if they want to smoke, not because they might catch a glimpse of Clarky puffing away once in a blue moon.

Now Miguel is a different matter, he makes me want to smoke a stogie everytime I hit the fairway :D

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Maybe so.

In the grand scheme of things other factors in life will have a bigger influence on whether someone starts smoking than a tour player having a quick burn?

agreed Gareth, but every little helps, if it stops just one kid starting because 'Darren does' then its a good thing.

Personally I take a full pack on the course and have 1 a hole, I'm very aware of staying downwind of partners and quite Frankly hate myself and my weak habit, cant be anygood for my game either.

So, I'm all for a ban for pro tournaments.

P.S I thought Darren looked ridiculous hiding his fag in the last round of the Open, there was 20+ million people watching Darren, should've waited a few more minutes :rolleyes:

AyrHead

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Probably brought about by seeing that finely tuned athlete Darren Clarke puffing away at the Open.
Personally, I think it presents the wrong image but that's just my view.

As a smoker myself i still agree that the likes of JD chain smoking his way around the course doesn't present a good image for kids. However if they pass this are they going to stop at a smoking ban on the course? next thing players banned from celebrating a win with a bottle of Champagne or a beer in the clubhouse in case the public see them ! Sick fed up with the Nanny State and the bloody PC Brigade.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
agreed Gareth, but every little helps, if it stops just one kid starting because 'Darren does' then its a good thing.

Personally I take a full pack on the course and have 1 a hole,

So if every little helps why do you smoke?

Surely in your day to day life people/kids see you smoke?

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What total bolloxs.

What next?

No one can munch on a mars bar or swig a can of full fat fanta on the way round?

Better not catch the punter slurping on his ice cream as he stands behind Rory as he tries to drain a ten footer during the Open.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's also an argument that people use against golf being a sport: "Any activity where competitors can smoke can't be a sport" is one I often hear.

We might not care about whether it's classified as a sport, as we love it any way, but I'm sure it's significant in the R&A, EGU etc beign able to secure public cash for initiatives. Seeing some of its top players puffing away on telly can't help, politically.

AyrHead

Assistant Pro
Visit site
18 holes, 18 ciggies, i'm the same - 20 B&H are my most important accessory on the course - extremely sad i know but true.

Tried the electronic ciggies recently - just don't cut it i'm afraid.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Don't care either way, but take the butts home, or put them in the bin. Just more litter on the golf course.

Yep, coke cans are bio degradable too. Just takes longer.

Shaunmg

Head Pro
Visit site
What total bolloxs.

What next?

No one can munch on a mars bar or swig a can of full fat fanta on the way round?

Better not catch the punter slurping on his ice cream as he stands behind Rory as he tries to drain a ten footer during the Open.

That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it, but a load of bollox it ain’t. Anything at all that may influence young people to start smoking should be curtailed.

As far as I know you can’t get addicted to mars bars and they haven’t seen the need to produce fanta or ice cream patches to help break addictions, and you certainly can’t get fat from passive consumption of them.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What total bolloxs.

What next?

That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it, but a load of bollox it ain’t. Anything at all that may influence young people to start smoking should be curtailed.

As far as I know you can’t get addicted to mars bars and they haven’t seen the need to produce fanta or ice cream patches to help break addictions, and you certainly can’t get fat from passive consumption of them.

Nanny state gone utterly utterly mad.

Why is it nowadays everyone seems to need led through life by the hand.

I am sure I made my own mind up and indeed still do.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Its nonsense.

Now Miguel is a different matter, he makes me want to smoke a stogie everytime I hit the fairway :D

Seeing Miguel puffing away on one of those chunky-ass cigars, makes me smile (as a non-smoker), and I think adds to his characteristic as a golfer! Likewise Darren Clarke, with his fag and a pint of the black stuff!!