PC help required...again :-) How to recover files from broken laptop.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I have just recently replaced my laptop, as I managed to break my last on, I now need to try and recover some files from the old one. In particular my stats from 2008 om ScoreSaver2!

After a look around youtube I have found a few videos showing how its done and what I need. It all seems pretty simple and that's the part that scares me :lol:

From watching this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD4PrtiWZXU it would seem that all I now need to buy is one of these http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Pro...E16812196455&gclid=COHex5fCtbUCFQ45nAodyUQA4Q and just follow the instructions.

Has anyone any experience of doing something like this before and is it really that simple?

Thanks again.

PC numpty:whoo:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I havent watched the vids so apologies if I answer the same.
Personally I would buy a 2.5" HDD caddy with USB and connect it to the new machine as an external drive and transfer the files. Then format the drive and use it as a portable back up. Win win.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
You remove the old HDD from the broken laptop, plug it in to the HDD caddy and then connect it up via USB, it effectively becomes an external drive and can be accessed as if it was just a normal hard drive. You can then transfer all of the files you need.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are the connections between hard drives compatible...I imagine the are but before I "open" up another laptop I thought I could switch hds to see if that will allow me to view my files from.

So for example my last laptop broke and screen stopped working, Laptop A. That laptop replaced a really old slow lap top, Laptop B which still works but I don't use. So could I remove HD from Laptop B and replace it with HD from Laptop A.

Ta.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It all depends on how old laptop B actually is. Systems pre 2005 are more than likely IDE interface (two rows of lots of pins) whereas the new laptop is most likey mSATA which is a small 'L' shaped connector.
If these are different then no it wouldnt work. There are IDE to mSATA adapters available but I wouldnt use one personally as they can be a bit sketchy.
If both ars mSATA then yes that would work although the old drive would have system device drivers for the old laptop and so some functions may not work.

In addition, unless the laptop has two hard drive bays you still then have the problem of how to get your files from the drive that isnt being used.
My advice is still to put it in an external caddy and connect to another system to grab the files you need and then format the old drive.

Last edited: