Paying traders cash is morally wrong

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
This was put out by the government. To do exactly what it is doing. Get you all discussing the morality of something which is pointless. To distract you all from the tax fiddles of their mates the super rich.

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Being part of the "squeezed middle" I couldn't give a flying one if someone I'm paying for a service doesn't pay tax if it means a save a few quid.

All for one and one for me!

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They are saying paying without an invoice or receipt not stop paying by cash !:whistle:

Without an invoice you can keep it out of the books and therefore not charge or pay the VAT which if you are VAT registered is an offence

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why can't government listen to Winston Churchill.

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
There is a curry house in Leeds where the card machines magically stop working at about 3am. They ask you to go up to the cash machine about 100 meters away to make payment. We refused because the machines were working fine earlier in the evening when a mate ate there. They just wanted cash to pay the staff. After sitting about finishing our pints the owner gave in a and allowed us to pay by card. As a bank manager I encourage people to pay tradesmen by cheque to ensure the money goes through an account for tax purposes. Cheeky bleeders do sometimes try it on.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
They are saying paying without an invoice or receipt not stop paying by cash !:whistle:

Without an invoice you can keep it out of the books and therefore not charge or pay the VAT which if you are VAT registered is an offence
Agreed BUT ,, you as the customer can pay a cash price without a reciept which saves you a couple of hundred , or you can pay the couple of hundred to the government & get your reciept , workman will more than likely end up with the same ammount ..

my honest answer to this is , i will do what is cheapest for me , i pay enough tax , prsi , house charges etc , i get my wages its taxed , i buy fuel going home , im taxed on it , shopping etc im taxed , fed up paying tax & levys so il take the option of whats cheapest for me and mine ..

sorry if that offends anyone or upsets anyone ,

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
A person that works for a company will get taxed and pay national insurance and get payed a net amount.

Someone like myself who works for a company but is self employed
will have to pay tax after expensis at 20%.

A builder[and im definately not tarnishing all with the same brush]
who will ask to be paid by cash for a bit of discount on the price,probably wont give a reciept,and if he wants to doesnt have to declare those earnings,hence wont pay tax,wheres the justice in that.

Visit site
So many people these days don't own a cheque book. My wife runs a small business and likes to take a £100 deposit of people (by cheque) but often they struggle to come up with a cheque

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no problem paying in cash but I would not expect it to be cheaper just because I do, I wouldnt expect it when paying for a meal out or a round of golf so why should I want to try and make it cheaper when paying a new wall or a driveway?

I am just too honest a person I guess, the only time I expect it cheaper with cash is when trying to avoid the "card surcharge" levied in some shops to cover the rental cost of the card machine.

If they decide to make the cost lower or not claim on it then its their problem and they should get their just desserts! One other thing is if I knew they were doing such a thing I would not trust them to do the work in the first place and I would find someone else!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
If they decide to make the cost lower or not claim on it then its their problem and they should get their just desserts! One other thing is if I knew they were doing such a thing I would not trust them to do the work in the first place and I would find someone else!

The word 'naive' springs to mind...........don't know why :whistle:.

Slime.

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have no problem paying in cash but I would not expect it to be cheaper just because I do, I wouldnt expect it when paying for a meal out or a round of golf so why should I want to try and make it cheaper when paying a new wall or a driveway?

I am just too honest a person I guess, the only time I expect it cheaper with cash is when trying to avoid the "card surcharge" levied in some shops to cover the rental cost of the card machine.

Spoken like a true scientist.