Paul Foston golf

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a couple of hours lesson from Paul Foston this morning working on the short game. I have to say that some pros are pretty good but Paul, for me was a different level. No, not cheap but I dont think anyone would leave his house without the feeling they'd improve and within a couple of hours I had a video of the session, and later, a fairly detailed, written, synopsis of what we are looking for from what we worked on.

I'd give him top marks - what about pro's you've worked with?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Think Homer had a lesson with Paul Foston through a GM competition too.

After not playing for ages, I just had a lesson with Mark Amey in his studio. I haven’t done much on a launch monitor, he had the full set up with the dots on my club too so we had a full analysis. The swing certainly felt better at the end of the lesson than it did at the start.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had various lessons with various pros over the years, finding one you get on with and who can communicate in a way you can understand and implement is crucial. Of those Ive used Alistair Davies (Forest of Arden) was head and shoulders above the others for me and was worth travelling to go and see. Lee Scarbrow (John O Gaunt) another who was very good. I wont list those I didnt rate as highly ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a lesson at the London Club with Paul. Struggled to put into practice what he was trying to get me to do but he was obviously a level above most teaching pros. Of the others I've used, Gary Smith for the short game was very, very good

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Had a lesson at the London Club with Paul. Struggled to put into practice what he was trying to get me to do but he was obviously a level above most teaching pros. Of the others I've used, Gary Smith for the short game was very, very good

I've seen Gary Smith do a chipping demo and he's so much more technical and I found his method very very hit and miss. Paul uses just a set position for almost all chips and pitches and I found it very simple but very effective - horses for courses I guess

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've seen Gary Smith do a chipping demo and he's so much more technical and I found his method very very hit and miss. Paul uses just a set position for almost all chips and pitches and I found it very simple but very effective - horses for courses I guess
How much for a lesson Chris ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
https://shortgamesecrets.tv/blogs/news/2018-year-in-review-for-james-ridyard-and-john-graham

Did a short game day with James Ridyard and John Graham, superb.
Ridyard's pitching and chipping is phenomenal and he made a lot of sense to me.
John Graham, whilst I'm not an Aimpoint fan, gave me a couple of great putting ideas.

James used to be at the Bedford and I always wanted to go and do one of his short game days but never got round to it, have only heard good things from those who did

D

Deleted member 1147

I used to have lessons with Chris Ryan, at the Belfry, though he’s now at FoA.
Now see Nick Huby at Pete Cowan’s academy in Rotherham.
Chris helped me down from 10 to 5.
Nick is now helping me consolidate, and get those incremental improvements required to go from 3.7 downwards.

I would recommend both.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Had various lessons with various pros over the years, finding one you get on with and who can communicate in a way you can understand and implement is crucial. Of those Ive used Alistair Davies (Forest of Arden) was head and shoulders above the others for me and was worth travelling to go and see. Lee Scarbrow (John O Gaunt) another who was very good. I wont list those I didnt rate as highly ;)

+1 for Lee

Last summer he led the lessons at JOG for the 8-12 year olds. He was brilliant. Made it fun, not technical, great progress. Over the winter I enjoyed some parent and child group lessons. Watching him switch style effortlessly during a lesson between coaching a child who had never hit a ball before, accomplished juniors, beginner adults, improving adults and scratch players all in a 45 minute group lesson was impressive. My daughter and I both improved.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It wasn't an Aimpoint session, and I definitely don't have any notes on it ?
Not a fan tbh ?

Without wanting to risk another 1,000 post Aimpoint thread, I really enjoyed the course and can see how those who like it are fans and others think its snake oil but Paul said that my putting set up, grip, alignment, routine etc were all ok but I have a tendency to leave putts short and I need to stop using my hands and just rock the shoulders as it looks a bit yippy!