Paul Azinger - just call me 'dude'

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
So, the Zinger (have KFC come up with some compensation for that trademark nickname?) has finally been unveiled as the 2008 US skipper.

The most interesting and hilarious part of his press conference was when he said that he wanted young players, unscarred by defeat, that would call him'dude'.

He inferred that he would like to consider players such as long drive king Bubba Watson and former US Amateur Champion Ryan Moore (not to be confused with the new champion jockey, all you horse racing fans out there). Is he mad or a genius? Could those two guys really stand up to experienced European heavyweights such as Westwood, Clarke and Monty? Or the Ryder Cup genius that is Sergio Garcia?

Perhaps, if he wants players willing to call him dude, he should choose Bill and Ted or the two blokes from Dude Where's My Car. Their Ryder Cup pedigree is, after all, no worse than Watson's and Moore's, and they are proven performers in unfamilar, high-pressure situations.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
ha ha ha

He didn't did he!? How cringe worthy-its like Gordon Brow saying he loves listening to the Arctic Monkey’s! Zinger- Down with the kids!! I think his high five technique at the belfry showed every one how cool he is.

I think Europe would happily see Bubba Watson and Ryan Moore on the opposition.

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally, if anyone walked up to me on the first tee and said "Hi, I'm Bubba, play well!" I would a) find it extremely difficult not to fall over laughing and b) mentally award myself 2-up status before the first shot (a bit like I do when I come up against an amateur wielding a broomhandle putter!)
This may be a bit harsh on anyone called Bubba, but that's just the way it is!
Even better if Bubba Dickerson gets his card back and finds some real form. I think a bad case of the "Double Bubbas" would be gifting the Cup to the Euros.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
only sadness is Corey 'Moustachio" Pavin didn't get the nod - oh Zinger please appoint him your v-c - now that would be quality and would see me sell my flat and put it all on Europe a new winning record!

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Europeans are going to need to play with a handicap to keep the next Ryder Cup interesting - maybe if our boys are made to play every shot on one leg that would make it fair

Azinger likened the Ryder Cup to the Iraqi war and Pavin aparently once packed a suitcase full of nappies when travelling over here for the Open because he didn't think they'd been discovered in the UK. With those two at the helm it'll be even more embarrasing than usual.