Over-rated Bands / Musicians

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Dave Gilmour always wanted to try and better the Comfortably Numb solo and, IMO, gave solid efforts on the next two released albums (Momentary Lapse of Reason and then Division Bell) with the tracks Sorrow and High Hopes. Both have outro solos that are, equally and in their own rights, superb.

The overall guitar work on Sorrow shades it for me and might be my favourite Gilmour solo*;
00:00 - 02:20 for the intro solo and then 06:36 - 10:24 for the outro.

*Caveat that I'm only referring to solos within a song. As I think my favourite overall track is One of These Days which is all solo :).

On the "over rated" argument, I think Floyd's longevity and cross generational appeal exposes that as someone on Youtube whoring for views by being "controversial". Their early work up to, probably Ummagumma was... interesting to say the least. It wasn't until DSOTM that they really found their "famous feet", hindered by the narcissism and clear parental issues of Roger Waters.

Momentary Lapse and Division Bell, for me, are more lyrically and thematically strong than many of Water's efforts (which were by and large self insertion pieces) and deal with more mature themes such as loyalty, betrayal, aging, progression and, ultimately, acceptance and inner peace of the things that can't be changed. MLOR got some Water's fan backlash as it was the first original release since he left and so, IMO, was unfairly derided.

But hey, as Robster pointed out, that's all with a huge dose of IMHO as that's just exactly what it is. But having seen them live, I cannot say in any way, shape or form that I found them over-rated.
The one thing about Floyd that is often overlooked, their actual live performances were audibly on a par with the studio album, something most modern artists aren't capable of.

PaulMdj

Visit site
:cool:
Maybe not the genre of music you like, but Glen Campbell is regarded very highly for his guitar playing ability. And very very rightly so.
Your mocking emojis are misplaced.

Spot on, prior to breaking through as a singer he was a session guitarist and worked with Elvis, Frank Sinatra, The Beach Boys and many many others.

If anyone gets the chance, google the story about him and Frank Sinatra.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
:cool:
Maybe not the genre of music you like, but Glen Campbell is regarded very highly for his guitar playing ability. And very very rightly so.
Your mocking emojis are misplaced.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me.
I know he was a superb guitarist, that's just not in doubt, it was the thought that he was as good as Hendrix and Rory that I found amusing.
But as we all know, it's very subjective.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Spot on, prior to breaking through as a singer he was a session guitarist and worked with Elvis, Frank Sinatra, The Beach Boys and many many others.

If anyone gets the chance, google the story about him and Frank Sinatra.
There is a vid on YouTube of a C&W awards ceremony and after winning something Campbell sings Galveston and does an extended guitar solo at the end of it that is tingling. But he ain’t an over-rated band.

In fact I have a GC greatest hits currently playing in my car CD. Other CDs? Zero 7; Led Zeppelin and Pet Shop Boys. I have broad taste in music. Truth be told I have the LZ CD as I don’t really listen to them abd given this discussion I thought I’d give it a go - and I’m liking it more than I might previously have claimed. (Greatest Hits and Others Vol 1)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Sorry, I think you misunderstood me.
I know he was a superb guitarist, that's just not in doubt, it was the thought that he was as good as Hendrix and Rory that I found amusing.
But as we all know, it's very subjective.
Should not be amusing if it is the plain truth.

Hendrix and Gallagher are from the genre where the guitar is central, the be all and end all, and a big noise, to make an impression.
Campbell played guitar as an accompaniment to a song and to give the song some embellishment.
As a player of ability, he is quite definitely at least as good Hendrix. No doubt in my mind.

That is why I say Hendrix and Gallagher were very good, but over-rated.
Campbell was just as good, but not over-rated.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ride and Radiohead
I can’t agree, but that is what we are all here for, music is subjective. I think on these bands a lot comes down to context and where and when you start listening to them in your life…I grew up near Oxford and was in my teenage years when Ride and Radiohead (both have links to the area) were starting out.

Therefore I went to a few early gigs and totally bought in to that type of music - it takes me back to my grungy teens. Personally, I think OK Computer is a masterpiece but I totally get why others don’t, maybe it’s not aimed at you!