Openplay

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Scottish Golf's plans for VMS always included offering handicaps to "nomad golfers", as reported in The Scotsman in March 2019, The Times in September 2019, etc. Following publication of The Scotsman article, there was a thread on the subject here.

Plans for such a scheme were announced two years before that (National Club Golfer reported in 2019 that "Scottish Golf announced at their national conference two Decembers ago that they would be offering a handicap to independent nomadic golfers").
They DID NOT communicate that this would be part of the VMS launch :rolleyes:

You know what, you're right. You're not in Scotland, you're not involved with VMS in Scotland, so of course you know exactly what's been said to clubs about it, because you know everything. What an incredibly boorish ignorant asterisked word you are. Back on block for you, why I even changed that I have no clue, you contribute nothing but arrogance on here

theballboy

Medal Winner
Visit site
So I signed up for open play recently and pay monthly subscription. I'm in Scotland twice a month and thought this would be a great way to get back into golf so I can play the odd open comp in summer season when I'm over. Just finished 3rd marked card ( handicap of 16 issued which was actually the handicap I had at my home club in Ireland until I quit 2 years back)

Have to say I'll be very disappointed if my handicap (valid world handicap system) isn't recognized by some clubs or get turned away from opens. I'm in Ireland again this week and hoping to play an open competition this Friday.

I emailed Scottish golf recently asking what I quote for my cdh number and what i should put down as my 'home club' in an attempt to access BRS app, howdidido golf empire. They replied with 'Scottish golf openplay' as home club but it's not recognized on any of the apps. Hoping that it doesn't turn out a waste of time and effort if I can't really use it. Renders it all a bit useless

Might have to take out an overseas / county membership in Scotland just to avoid any hassle in the end up. Played couple times at aboyne and really liked the course. And they have a decent deal. But maybe I'd be better off with an Irish flexi deal.

Must telephone the course I'm intending to play the open in and see where they stand

Last edited:

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all. Ive been using the scottish golf openplay on monthly subscription. Have put in 3 signed scores but it hasnt given mrme a handicap yet. Has anyone else had this issue?

theballboy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I contacted 3 local clubs, 2 said they would allow SG open play handicap members to enter their open competitions 1 said no.
I didn't think clubs had a choice. I mean am open is an open. Can they refuse gui handicap? Or pick and choose who can enter? Sad to hear some refuse openplay members which is primarily why I quit

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I didn't think clubs had a choice. I mean am open is an open. Can they refuse gui handicap? Or pick and choose who can enter? Sad to hear some refuse openplay members which is primarily why I quit
They absolutely do, see my earlier post on page 1.

OpenPlay handicaps are not monitored, there's no way any meaningful annual review can be done as the peeps at Scottish Golf don't know you from adam.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
There are hundreds of clubs (municipals mainly, but not exclusively) offering 'handicap only' memberships for about the same price that EG/SG offer iGolf/OpenPlay handicaps. Manipulating a handicap is equally easy, and equally cheap, whether you're a club member or an iGolf/OpenPlay member. Whilst it remains easy and cheap, there will be some people who will do it. Those people are arseholes but they exist. Club membership offers no guarantees that the handicaps are honest. None. Some clubs will have a rigorous and effective handicap committee, but not all. Even those that do, would you be confident that they're infallible?

This is a conundrum for open organisers, and I'm afraid I can't think of any solutions to help them, apart from keeping the prizes (and thus temptation) very small. I choose to see opens as a way to play a variety of courses, often for less than the usual green fee. I enter in the knowledge that it might not be a level playing field; there is no point in getting stressed about it. I rarely trouble the scorers but last weekend my partner and I won an open. We were three points clear of the field and I know that many who entered will look at the scoresheet, see two names at the top that they've never seen before and have the the same thought: CHEATS. I know I'm not a cheat but I also know how easy it would be if I wanted to be. Handicap golf will never be fair - if you want a level playing field, play scratch.

Swango1980

Visit site
There are hundreds of clubs (municipals mainly, but not exclusively) offering 'handicap only' memberships for about the same price that EG/SG offer iGolf/OpenPlay handicaps. Manipulating a handicap is equally easy, and equally cheap, whether you're a club member or an iGolf/OpenPlay member. Whilst it remains easy and cheap, there will be some people who will do it. Those people are arseholes but they exist. Club membership offers no guarantees that the handicaps are honest. None. Some clubs will have a rigorous and effective handicap committee, but not all. Even those that do, would you be confident that they're infallible?

This is a conundrum for open organisers, and I'm afraid I can't think of any solutions to help them, apart from keeping the prizes (and thus temptation) very small. I choose to see opens as a way to play a variety of courses, often for less than the usual green fee. I enter in the knowledge that it might not be a level playing field; there is no point in getting stressed about it. I rarely trouble the scorers but last weekend my partner and I won an open. We were three points clear of the field and I know that many who entered will look at the scoresheet, see two names at the top that they've never seen before and have the the same thought: CHEATS. I know I'm not a cheat but I also know how easy it would be if I wanted to be. Handicap golf will never be fair - if you want a level playing field, play scratch.
Someone needs to write software that Open organisers can use. It will log players, handicaps and their details along with their team scores and finishing positions in each event they play. Golf club Committees also get access to this software.

Although it couldn't be used to adjust handicaps, it might be good at keeping a log at how well people do, and golf clubs would have a constant record of any of their members playing in Opens, and how well they are doing. If it is noticed Jo and Fred have finished in the top 3 of 90% of the Opens they enter, then it would be a signal for their club to maybe review their handicap. And, if that club are not good at picking that up, the Open organiser can see who has entered, and might send a polite email to Jo and Fred's club asking about their handicaps and playing record. Perhaps, over time, the software can highlight players that exceed certain thresholds that appear to be much better than would be expected.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most clubs depend on yearly subscriptions from members to survive. They simply can't survive without members.
Open competitions usually barely break even, due to increased bar and food takings. Some run at a loss if there isn't enough entrants.
The entry money is almost all paid out in prizes.