One Plane Swing Question - Ball Position

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Big time. There is a video of tiger saying sometimes he stands open,others closed when hitting a draw or fade.

It doesn't matter. Your swing does

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Big time. There is a video of tiger saying sometimes he stands open,others closed when hitting a draw or fade.

It doesn't matter. Your swing does

This is the thing.

If I align myself square to my target with anything down to my short irons and wedges, the ball starts right and curves back.

Sometimes a little too much granted, but more often than not moves right of the face then curves left.

The only time this changes is with the short irons and wedges where it just goes straight right :D

Messing with my alignment usually brings in either inconsistent flight or strike.

I'm off to the range for a play tomorrow before my round so hopefully 'find' something.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
As I mentioned earlier check your posture first and then IF the ball is slightly further back then watch your shoulders aren't 'accidentally' closing (aimed right).

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
^
^
As I mentioned earlier check your posture first and then IF the ball is slightly further back then watch your shoulders aren't 'accidentally' closing (aimed right).

Further to this.

If the shoulders are closed at address, are they more likely to return to impact closed?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Further to this.

If the shoulders are closed at address, are they more likely to return to impact closed?

Yes

Still don't understand the simply aiming a little left with these more lofted clubs - nothing to do with messing with your swing alignment; just use the same alignment but aim at a target slightly left of the flag!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes

Still don't understand the simply aiming a little left with these more lofted clubs - nothing to do with messing with your swing alignment; just use the same alignment but aim at a target slightly left of the flag!

I understand your point Duncan.

Furthermore. I tried exactly that at the range earlier (aiming left) and it didn't feel comfortable at all.

Messed about with my shoulder alignment when square to target and found that square to slightly open shoulders gave the best results.

Further work required for sure but it gives me something other than a block with the shorter clubs.