Olympics 2016

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will try and watch some archery and shooting, I enjoy that. The diving too and rugby 7s too. Will try to watch some of them.

Next is mostly judo and similar. I will make an effort to watch some of that.

Not too bothered about the rest but will catch a few highlights.

I don't think the golf should be there, same with the tennis. Neither have any need for it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Well all those people who have trained for 4-8 years would be delighted at the idea of getting rid of their events and not sure any stroke is "samey" compared to the other

As for watching the Olympics - I get to see my favourite sport week in week out - the Olympics for me is about showcasing other sports that normally don't get highlighted or shown - I won't watch a minute of the football or golf and will tune in to every other sport going. McIlroy for me has it spot on in regards watching the golf at the Olympics.

That for me is what the Olympics is about - bringing other people who don't normally get the chance into the spotlight - there was nothing better than having someone who does dressage taking up the back pages as opposed to a regular main stream footballer/golfer etc

It's the whole world focusing on sports that some have never seen before , it's making heroes from sports that just don't get any headlines - it's watching someone who doesn't earn tens of millions a year melt the hearts of a nation even if they don't win , it's the reactions of families when their loved ones just compete

The Olympics is everything that sport should be and its a shame that some recently have tainted it

Well I guess this all means we have different opinions/points of view :eek:

What on earth do we do now :confused:

But we do agree on the druggies tainting their sports

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I couldn't be less interested in the olympics. I'm already looking forward to it being over.

Broadly similar here....
Might watch a bit of it but o my if it's on and I'm in front of the box...won't be going out of my way to watch.
What's really any different in many sports between the World Champs and the Olympics..? Same people, same sport.....as for some the "sports".....well, who cares about dressage, synconized swimming, running around with a ribbon, falling off a ledge into water, throwing a plate or walking.....

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Broadly similar here....
Might watch a bit of it but o my if it's on and I'm in front of the box...won't be going out of my way to watch.
What's really any different in many sports between the World Champs and the Olympics..? Same people, same sport.....as for some the "sports".....well, who cares about dressage, synconized swimming, running around with a ribbon, falling off a ledge into water, throwing a plate or walking.....

Mrs FD has pointed out that I always go into the olympics like this and gradually get sucked in to it. I'm sure I'll end up watching some, mainly because she loves it. :)

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Broadly similar here....

... knocking a ball in a hole with a stick though - I love that one. :)

I'll be watching for some of the other sports that I enjoy, have played a bit and so maybe appreciate a bit more. Top class badminton is very exciting ( 260 mph smashes, what's not to like ) and proper (non-beach !) volleyball is also very good to watch.

Swimming & horse dancing I can't get excited about. Frankly any event which has judges awarding marks should be thrown out.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love it and I will be watching it for 100s of hours.

I will generally watch a bit of every sport and imo some of the lesser sports have some great excitement.

Also there are some fantastic commentators in a lot of the sports and they crank the excitement up a notch for me.

Looking forward to the Athletics,Triathlon and cycling the most.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mrs FD has pointed out that I always go into the olympics like this and gradually get sucked in to it. I'm sure I'll end up watching some, mainly because she loves it. :)

I suspect I will be the same. The whole drugs issue has tainted the Olympics hugely for me. I simply don't know who to trust when I am watching the tv now. I don't like a lot of the new events as they are a bit Mickey Mouse to me, BMX, rugby 7's for example, but I will probably get drawn in to some events. I suspect I will watch this one less then previous years though.

D

Deleted member 1147

I will watch as much as I can, especially anything GB stand a chance of winning.
But mostly the boxing, athletics and cycling

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll watch it when I can, won't go out of my way to, but with a healthy dose of scepticism re the cleanliness of the athletes sadly which does take the edge of it. In the interest of fairness this applies more to certain sports than others.

If Gatlin wins the 100m then I hope the stadium either drowns out the anthem with booing or walk out.

Even the current issue with the British cyclist is more than a little suspicious........

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
100% agree with Slab re: the swimming. If the same person can win 8 golds in the same Olympics then the events are too similar.
Compare that to Redgrave, who had one chance per Olympics.

Don't agree re: boxing, yes there are quite a few divisions, but each competitor can only go in one of them.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aside from London (which was the exception) I never go out of the way to watch the Olympics but I sometimes have it on in the background. I am generally only interested in watching sports that I have played and next to none of them are in the Olympics.

I actually think Rugby 7s is a great addition and fits the Olympics well. It is spreading globally outside of traditional rugby nations, the players are not stars and the game is quick and easy to watch. Hope it does well and I will watch what I can of it.

Has anyone got any idea of how much of the Golf will actually be shown. You are not going to get the BBC stopping all other coverage to show it shot by shot so I am guessing it may be limited to the odd shot between other events and highlights.

As for the whole drug thing, I seriously think it has got to the stage where they should simply say sod it and let people do what they want. You are never going to stop it and so every event is tainted. On that basis, just let people ruin their health with drugs if they want then at least everyone is on an even playing field.

The Olympics, as a whole, just leaves a sour taste now. It's position as the pinnacle of amateur sport has long gone and it is now all about wealth and making money for the IOC.

D

Deleted member 1147

It's position as the pinnacle of amateur sport has long gone and it is now all about wealth and making money for the IOC.

Have you seen the issue regarding tweets from unofficial sponsors - if a competitor gets a good luck tweet which mentions the olympics in one of many possible ways, such as Rio, 2016, medal, gold etc etc from a non sanctioned body they could get sent home. But Gatlin can run despite twice being banned for cheating.

Crazy!

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be honest I prefer the Winter version a lot more that the Summer.

The scenery is fab and the sports generally more exciting and 'watchable'.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love the Olympics and love watching some of the sports we never usually get to see. London 2012 was just so good though that I'm struggling a bit to get into Rio at the moment. Hopefully that will change when it starts but the time difference doesn't help and can't see me staying up really late or getting up really early too often.

I still can't hear Elbow "One Day Like This" without a little tear...2012 was just amazing.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
To be honest I prefer the Winter version a lot more that the Summer.

The scenery is fab and the sports generally more exciting and 'watchable'.

A lot more dangerous though Johnny, some of the arenas have loads of ice on them !