Old vinyl records ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just came across some old 60s 70s and 80s vinyl LPs in the loft.
Beatles, Please please me, in mono. Best of Bowie. The Drifters. Freddie Mercury,
Billy Joel, John lennon and Yoko, just to name a few of around 30.
Are they worth selling if so where's the best market.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The answer is… depends.

That Beatles album for example has over 700 versions in total ranging in resale values from a few quid to a couple of hundred. There are even variants on the same catalogue number.

Example, 1963 UK Parlophone PMC1202 these are selling for about £30-40. But the same catalogue number PMC1202 but with a gold & black label that credits Dick James, these are selling from £300 to £1200 depending on condition.

For each record there will be variant releases, you need to know which ones you have in order to work out what they are likely to be worth.

Discogs is a good source of information on this.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The answer is… depends.

That Beatles album for example has over 700 versions in total ranging in resale values from a few quid to a couple of hundred. There are even variants on the same catalogue number.

Example, 1963 UK Parlophone PMC1202 these are selling for about £30-40. But the same catalogue number PMC1202 but with a gold & black label that credits Dick James, these are selling from £300 to £1200 depending on condition.

For each record there will be variant releases, you need to know which ones you have in order to work out what they are likely to be worth.

Discogs is a good source of information on this.
Yes that's the problem , it is a PMC 1202, with a gold and black label. But I can't see any reference to Dick James.
Where abouts would that be shown ?Bingo found it, it's on the record label (Dick James Mus Co ).

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes that's the problem , it is a PMC 1202, with a gold and black label. But I can't see any reference to Dick James.
Where abouts would that be shown ?
Not sure where it is, I only referenced what is on Discogs. Not my forte genre of music.

When you say gold & black label, is the track listing in white lettering or gold?

Found it. If there is a credit to Dick James Mus. Co. on the label track listing (after songs 1,2 , 6 & 7 on side 1 and songs 4 & 6 on side 2) then it's one of the rare 1 of 1500 ones that are selling for a bit of cash (condition dependent, of course).

Grizzly

Visit site
Before you do anything, I'd be inclined to wash a couple of them down and give them a play just to check the condition they are in - if they have been in the loft there is at least an outside chance that they'll be mildewed and borderline unplayable.

If they've survived, a decent bet is to pop down your local library and see if you can take out a copy of the Rare Record Price Guide. Some markets are busier than others, ergo you are more likely to get toward the top end of the range. Soul - especially rare and Northern - is a strong market for example.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The best place to value your records is

discogs.com

e.g https://www.discogs.com/release/10984281-The-Beatles-Please-Please-Me

note the number of versions (785) using the tab

They will explain how to check the markings on the middle of the disc to check which version you own.

I sold a lot of mine on ebay but realised too late I undervalued the first batch

Sadly covid stopped me carrying on

I have one record I was going to throw in the bin but discogs made me realise it is valued between £50 and £250

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The best place to value your records is

discogs.com

e.g https://www.discogs.com/release/10984281-The-Beatles-Please-Please-Me

note the number of versions (785) using the tab

They will explain how to check the markings on the middle of the disc to check which version you own.

I sold a lot of mine on ebay but realised too late I undervalued the first batch

Sadly covid stopped me carrying on

I have one record I was going to throw in the bin but discogs made me realise it is valued between £50 and £250
Cheers Jim, but I don't think it's worth the effort, the Beatles LP was my best hope.
I've got a guy coming tomorrow to check them out, so fingers crossed.
I'll call you from the Bahamas if I'm wrong lol

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Before you do anything, I'd be inclined to wash a couple of them down and give them a play just to check the condition they are in - if they have been in the loft there is at least an outside chance that they'll be mildewed and borderline unplayable.

If they've survived, a decent bet is to pop down your local library and see if you can take out a copy of the Rare Record Price Guide. Some markets are busier than others, ergo you are more likely to get toward the top end of the range. Soul - especially rare and Northern - is a strong market for example.

I’ve never known a vinyl stored in the attic to become unplayable. I stored roughly 1000 in the attic at my dad’s for about 20 years and they are all absolutely fine.

If they get slightly damp then worst case is usually the labels and the sleeves are affected (and in turn this hits the value).

Mix up a solution 9 parts water, 1 part IPA (not beer) and a couple of drops of washing up liquid and use that to clean them with a decent pile microfibre cloth.

I sell a lot (and sadly, buy a lot too) on Discogs. Best advice I can give is check any buyer’s feedback before you send anything. Used to be a good marketplace, now full of chancers that want part refunds for mis-grading even though you know its not the case.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve never known a vinyl stored in the attic to become unplayable. I stored roughly 1000 in the attic at my dad’s for about 20 years and they are all absolutely fine.

If they get slightly damp then worst case is usually the labels and the sleeves are affected (and in turn this hits the value).

Mix up a solution 9 parts water, 1 part IPA (not beer) and a couple of drops of washing up liquid and use that to clean them with a decent pile microfibre cloth.

I sell a lot (and sadly, buy a lot too) on Discogs. Best advice I can give is check any buyer’s feedback before you send anything. Used to be a good marketplace, now full of chancers that want part refunds for mis-grading even though you know its not the case.
Yip, it's a mine field , the guy who was coming tomorrow to value just text and offered £30 for a batch of 32 vinyl LPs and 7 old 45s.
So I'll hold on to them, BTW no dampness or mold on the records lol (y)

Grizzly

Visit site

I don't know about unplayable, but I've certainly had records significantly affected. Though nothing as bad as happened to a friend from Uni, who had just moved a huge collection of 90s dance white labels into the garage he'd converted when he found out the builders had blocked the drains! :cry:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know about unplayable, but I've certainly had records significantly affected. Though nothing as bad as happened to a friend from Uni, who had just moved a huge collection of 90s dance white labels into the garage he'd converted when he found out the builders had blocked the drains! :cry:
That’s a sore one. There’s a seller on Discogs that has a decent collection of old school hardcore for sale, every one has “no cover, labels damaged”. So I asked what it was the story, similarly he had put them in storage and the building flooded shortly after.

I’ve bought a couple of rarer w/lbl from him and they are still spot on, I just had to put new labels on them.

I’ve yet to find a case of dirt that the IPA solution won’t clean. If it’s scratched, it’s scratched though. Bought a couple that are listed VG+ but look like they’ve been dragged across a box of pins.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Vinyl is very popular now and price is dictated by condition and rarity, I’ve sourced plenty of 45s from eBay/ record shops and charity shops.
Just two days ago I put 4 old Beatles 45s @ 50p each from a charity shop on my jukebox, I had 45s that were in the loft for 40 years and with a good clean they played perfect.

As others have said discogs is good for pricing , the most I have paid for a 45 is £40 for a Billy Fury single

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
View attachment 51955

If it looks like this and has no scratches, skips and it clean then that's the one that's priced in terms of thousand.
Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent, but I am intrigued by the writing credits.
I've never seen "McCartney/Lennon" before. (Not a fan of early Beatles, I only have Revolver onwards).
When did they change to "Lennon/McCartney"?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Vinyl is very popular now and price is dictated by condition and rarity, I’ve sourced plenty of 45s from eBay/ record shops and charity shops.
Just two days ago I put 4 old Beatles 45s @ 50p each from a charity shop on my jukebox, I had 45s that were in the loft for 40 years and with a good clean they played perfect.

As others have said discogs is good for pricing , the most I have paid for a 45 is £40 for a Billy Fury single
I have an old Beatles LP going cheap, actually its cheep cheep chirpy scratchy screech screech, if you're interested :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have an old Beatles LP going cheap, actually its cheep cheep chirpy scratchy screech screech, if you're interested :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
😂

I have an old Beatles LP entitled made in the USSR, cover all in Russian and tracks are all mostly Chuck Berry covers. I got from a man who worked on a Russian Klondiker.

Thought it might be worth a few Bob looked it up and was only worth 20 odd Quid 😂😂