Odd response on Facebook Market place

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Put an advert on Facebook this afternoon.

Guy messages to say he's local he'll be round tomorrow to collect and can I give him my PayPal address to pay.

I said if he's collecting, bring "notes of the Realm!" He said he wants to pay by PayPal as his business money all in that account. No other questions from him or comments other than asking g for PayPal address.

I check his profile. All his fb friends are overseas, no location or personal details.

Smelling a rat, I've deleted the messages and blocked him.

But I do wonder what the angle is..

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It’s a scam. FB Marketplace is very active locally, and there’s been a number of scams exactly as you describe.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Guy messages to say he's local he'll be round tomorrow to collect and can I give him my PayPal address to pay.

I said if he's collecting, bring "notes of the Realm!" He said he wants to pay by PayPal as his business money all in that account. No other questions from him or comments other than asking g for PayPal address.

I check his profile. All his fb friends are overseas, no location or personal details.

collects goods complains to paypal and gets a refund

Grizzly

Visit site
Well, I would only have taken "fee free" so pretty sure that's not one you could dispute/QUOTE]

You can, you just go via the credit card company. If its your card, which in instances like this one is kinda debatable.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
When I was selling my caravan, I advertised on Facebook amongst other places. I got some definitely dodgy enquiries which I just declined and ignored. Sadly the world is full of people trying to scam others and not giving a stuff for the impact it may have on them.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was advertising something on a local Facebook page, which was only a fiver and collection only.
Some numpty offers me a fiver but wants it's posted so I would have effectively given it away ?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
A person I know who runs several golf shops had something similar. A person ordered a set of clubs over the phone & paid via credit card. He arranged to collect the clubs, which he did. A couple of weeks later he disputed the transaction with his credit card company &, because it was a "customer not present" transaction, the credit card company gave him a refund. The buyer had waited until the CCTV showing him collecting the clubs had been overwritten so there was no evidence that the buyer had received the clubs. I wouldn't be surprised if other retailers would fall victim to this.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lots of Paypal Scams on our local FaceBook market place.

If you want to collect it is always Cash on Collection for me.

If you are going to accept PayPal get them to pay it as a gift (ie money transfer) and not for goods.

D

Deleted member 23270

Damn.....I'm genuine and really wanted that item! What was it again? ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A person I know who runs several golf shops had something similar. A person ordered a set of clubs over the phone & paid via credit card. He arranged to collect the clubs, which he did. A couple of weeks later he disputed the transaction with his credit card company &, because it was a "customer not present" transaction, the credit card company gave him a refund. The buyer had waited until the CCTV showing him collecting the clubs had been overwritten so there was no evidence that the buyer had received the clubs. I wouldn't be surprised if other retailers would fall victim to this.

The cctv might've been useful for a police case but I doubt the bank would've accepted it as part of the transaction dispute (they normally don't accept recordings)

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Lots of Paypal Scams on our local FaceBook market place.

If you want to collect it is always Cash on Collection for me.

If you are going to accept PayPal get them to pay it as a gift (ie money transfer) and not for goods.

And maybe take a photo of him collecting the goods, just like the delivery firms do when they deliver to your house now. That way you would have some evidence that they did actually collect.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does it work on Facebook Market Place?

For those wondering this was posted in answer to a spamming thread which has been removed.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hmmmm - sold a trolley on FB market place recently, the guy collected as he lived around 15 mins away. I did check his profile and it matched to him being very local so hope it’s genuine.