Notifiable electrical work

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I believe there are electricians on this forum, so I have a quick question about the rules for notifiable work.

There's a couple of electrical things we want to get done in the house, which I'm capable of doing myself, but wanted to check if they are notifiable:

1. Replace the 2-channel programmer/timer on our heating/water system. All that needs to be done is to remove the old programmer and install a new one. The existing wiring to the programmer can be reused.
I'm pretty sure this isn't notifiable.

2. Add some extra downlighting in the kitchen ceiling, by extending the existing lighting circuit - ie. not adding a completely new circuit to the consumer unit.
I think the regs say that new wiring is only notifiable if it's a complete new circuit.

Can any electricians here confirm?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not a qualified electrician (just like you a very experienced one).

My understanding is simple from a leaflet picked up when it first came in

Repairs and renewals are allowable without a cert - new circuits not.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
from an electrician training website

Minor Electrical Work
You are entitled to carry out minor electrical work in your home, as long as you comply with Part P of the Building and Wiring Regulations. But what does that mean for you?

Minor work can include: replacing socket covers, control switches, ceiling roses and replacing cables from a single circuit if damaged; adding additional lighting points to existing circuits; replacing light fitting.

Location in the house is important as some locations such as bathrooms might be excluded

Also from a local council Buildings Reg guide

Electrical alterations
All new electrical work must comply with Part P of the Building Regulations which restricts DIY electrical work on grounds of safety. However, you are still allowed to carry out some work yourself without notifying Building Control. Minor repairs and maintenance are permitted, as well as ‘like for like’ replacements, such as changing existing sockets, switches and ceiling pendants or even replacing damaged cables. As long as the job isn’t within a ‘special location’ such as a bathroom or outdoors, you’re also allowed to install additional new light fittings, switches, sockets and even add a single fused spur to an existing circuit (a ‘spur’ is a new cable and socket run as a branch from an existing socket on the ring main).

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
No it’s not notifiable.
only notifiable work is…
  • circuit alteration or addition in a special location* (kitchens are not special locations.)
  • installation of one or more new circuits
  • installation of a replacement consumer unit (fuse box)
  • rewire of all circuits
  • partial rewire
  • new full electrical installation (new build)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
As F&D said (y).
Just make sure the wiring to your new 2 channel controller has the same connections, sometimes newer models are slightly different.
If they are identical you can just change the front.