Northants Golf Weekend

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm after a bit of advice. Planning our annual golf weekend next and our format is usually to play somewhere decent on the Friday and then base ourselves at a resort style venue for the rest of the weekend. So far I've identified Northants County as our course for the Friday but would appreciate any feedback from you forum folk on Whittlebury Hall and Hellidon Lakes as our potential resort style venues ? Which offers the better golf ? Facilities ? Food etc. Any advice would be gratefully received. Also is Northants County a good track ? It gets good reviews I believe.

D

Deleted member 18588

Whoever designed the course at Hellidon Lakes was obviously having an off day.

Haven't played there for a while but back when I did several times, condition was never great.

Whittlebury is still relatively immature.

Farthingstone might be worth looking at.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Can't comment on the others, but Whittlebury is a good course and with the three 9s you can mix things up. The hotel and facilities there are also very good.

I would recommend checking out Collingtree as a potential course as well.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Whoever designed the course at Hellidon Lakes was obviously having an off day.

Haven't played there for a while but back when I did several times, condition was never great.

Whittlebury is still relatively immature.

Farthingstone might be worth looking at.

Farthingstone is nice (hilly though), close to Whittlebury as well and also De Vere Staverton is also a good option to stay and play.

D

Deleted member 18588

As for Northants County it's OK but nowhere near as good as it likes to think it is.

I am afraid that Northamptonshire, as s county, is not blessed with great courses.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whittlebury far better than Helidon from a golf perspective (especially if you play the 2 front 9s, i think its red and yellow). Dont know about the hotel, but the Spa is decent according to mrs fundy

Northants County is a good track, can be a bit stuffy as a place and have had a few problems with their greens in recent years albeit I havent been there this year.

D

Deleted member 15344

Helidon is poor
Whittlebury is a very good stay and play venue, courses are decent and facilities very good , just a bit better than staverton

As for County - good course , some interesting holes ,the stuffy part of the club seems to be going away a bit

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I quite like Whittlebury. All 3 9's offer a fair challenge. As for County - well I agree it's not as good as they think it is! I may be biased but Wellingborough is far nicer :)

D

Deleted member 18588

I quite like Whittlebury. All 3 9's offer a fair challenge. As for County - well I agree it's not as good as they think it is! I may be biased but Wellingborough is far nicer :)

I wouldn't disagree with that.

steadyeddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm after a bit of advice. Planning our annual golf weekend next and our format is usually to play somewhere decent on the Friday and then base ourselves at a resort style venue for the rest of the weekend. So far I've identified Northants County as our course for the Friday but would appreciate any feedback from you forum folk on Whittlebury Hall and Hellidon Lakes as our potential resort style venues ? Which offers the better golf ? Facilities ? Food etc. Any advice would be gratefully received. Also is Northants County a good track ? It gets good reviews I believe.
Not sure about the other two but in my opinion Northants and County is fabulous, played there several times and always been great

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Haven't played any of them but have heard Northants County is good and heard that Colingtree isn't up to much nowadays (trip adviser agrees)

ge12

Visit site
I play at Whittlebury, I would thoroughly recommend it for a golf weekend with mates, me and my friends do one each year and have always said it would be perfect were it not 5 miles from home.

3 nine hole courses (yellow, red and blue) all of which vary slightly, and there is a nine hole academy (white) course that consists of 3 drive able par 4s and the rest par 3s which is quite good fun for an hour or so. As others have said the facilities are good and the hotel is supposed to be nice.

It backs onto Silverstone race track so you may want to check if there is anything on there at the same time, it doesn’t bother me but some people would complain about the noise which can be sometimes be quite loud.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Wellingborough and NHants County on consecutive days is a decent trip........ in my Nationwide Days, there were lots of lads who played both based in the Admin Centre up there... always had outings at both. (but not been recently)
Whittlebury with the hotel next door is a great base to stay and play too...