No Setting Down Object to Help With Aiming, Taking Stance or Swinging.

IanMcC

Visit site
I am studying for my upcoming Level 2 Rules Seminar. I have noticed an anomaly between the R&A and USGA Rules regarding Rule 10.2b(3)/1. The USGA seem to have put a delay on applying this new rule, but the UK online Rules has no delay mentioned.
Can some of the Rules experts on here clarify the situation?

BillyTheFish777

Visit site
From the R&A website which has been updated since the book was published

10.2b(3)/1
Setting Clubhead on Ground Behind Ball to Help the Player Take a Stance is Allowed
[Note: A delay of implementation is in effect until January 1, 2025 that applies to certain uses of self-standing putters. For more information, see Clarification 10.2b(3)/2] (Added December 2022) Rule 10.2b(3) does not allow a player to set down an object (such as an alignment rod or a golf club) to help the player take a stance. However, this prohibition does not prevent a player from positioning their clubhead behind the ball, such as when a player stands behind the ball and places the clubhead perpendicular to the line of play and then, while still holding the club, walks around from behind the ball to take their stance.

10.2b(3)/2
Delay of Implementation for Certain Uses of Self-Standing Putters
A two-year delay of implementation in relation to certain uses of self-standing putters under Rule 10.2b(3) is in effect as follows:
  • Until January 1, 2025, a player may use a self-standing putter by setting it down right behind or right next to the spot on which the ball came to rest to help aim or to take a stance or position their feet.
  • From January 1, 2025, Rule 10.2b(3) will apply to self-standing putters and the acts described in the previous paragraph will no longer be allowed. But a player will still be allowed to use a self-standing putter that conforms to the Rules to make a stroke or take other actions allowed by the Rules. (Added December 2022)

IanMcC

Visit site
Thanks for this. I see it now under Clarifications on both R&A and USGA websites. I would have thought the updated text would have been added to the main Rules page though.

salfordlad

Visit site
Thanks for this. I see it now under Clarifications on both R&A and USGA websites. I would have thought the updated text would have been added to the main Rules page though.
The kept the 2019-2022 document separate, as it gradually accumulated more stuff. I expect they will do the same for this cycle.