New Grips

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi all,
Just a quickie. How easy, or indeed difficult is it to re grip clubs? Or is it a job best left to the pros?

Airsporter1st

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all,
Just a quickie. How easy, or indeed difficult is it to re grip clubs? Or is it a job best left to the pros?

Very easy. I did some of my own last year having not a clue originally.

Loads of good video tutorials on YouTube. I watched a few, read a few posts on the subject on here and away I went.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Forgot about checking You Tube. Seems straight forward enough. Is white spirit a suitable replacement for "Grip Solvent?"

Airsporter1st

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, it is fine - and a lot cheaper.

By the way, I bought a rubber insert from Ebay for the vice/workmate which for a couple of quid is worth having to protect your shafts.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I used the above rubber insert, however my vice is rubbish. I just do them sitting down now.

I use lighter fluid as a replacement, the little squeeze bottles are very good for making sure spirit doesn't go everywhere!

simtaylor17

Hacker
Visit site
As said above fairly easy.

I re-gripped a driver for a friend no problem, with no experience.

To remove: Just a small slit in the bottom of the old grip, fairy liquid and strength.
Re-grip: White spirit to clean the old tape off, once dried layer your tape and push on the grip.

That's just what i did and worked fine, as i did not have a vice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very easy to do and I've done it often although these days I'm a lazy git and get the pro to do it. He's got a shocking range of grips so he's happy for me to buy what I want and fit them for the cost of the tape and little on top for his time.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Vey easy to do.

The only things you really need to check are the core sizes for the grips and how much, if any, building up the grips need.

Other than that it's very easy.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
How do you check core size ?

The core size will be specified on the site when you buy, or the inside lip of grip.

Usually run at 0.60 or 0.58.

The reason you 'should' check your core against the butt diameter of your shaft is that when installed, they will be a different thickness.

As an example.

I have True Temper DG shafts. They have a 0.60 butt diameter.

If I wanted a standard install, I would use a 0.60 core grip with the standard 1 layer grip tape.

If I were to put a 0.58 core grip on the same shaft, the grip would be fractionally oversized (1/64") due to the difference in core diameter.

I build up all my grips to 1/32" oversize (3 Additional layers + grip tape) in my irons and wedges and hybrid, but I need less build up tape on my woods as the butt diameter is bigger.

If you're not fussed about grip size and just want a standard install, just match the butt diameter of your shaft to the grip and put one layer of grip take on. Simple as that :thup: