new 7th at Royal Dornoch

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Your links courses are so beautiful.

We have long coasts on two great oceans, but the waterfront property is too valuable for development.
We're tearing up golf courses for house lots a lot more than we're building new ones.
Coastal real estate property is much, much more expensive than interior land and no new courses are being built there.

I honestly think that our great game is on the decline here in the US anyway.

D

Deleted member 1740

Brilliant video, I love stuff like that. Would love to go back there and play it again.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I think the design for the new clubhouse looks pretty smart too, although my lad is not too keen on it, and thinks the location they are building it on could see it catching a few balls.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Love the video of the hole being built, fascinating.

I like a clubhouse that overlooks the 18th green/1st tee, something I really like about our place. You can sit inside and watch groups going out and coming in. In the summer there’s often a good gallery sitting outside as you play in, adds to the drama. It’s the best beer garden for quite some distance! Our reinforced windows get hit now and then but never crack/shatter.

D

Deleted member 17920

I can’t actually remember playing the old hole.

Does anyone know why they built the new one?

I must have another game there as I didn’t appreciate it at all when we played it. It just didn’t grab me at all.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I can’t actually remember playing the old hole.

Does anyone know why they built the new one?

I must have another game there as I didn’t appreciate it at all when we played it. It just didn’t grab me at all.

The local legend/history states that when the course was laid out the hole was supposed to have been built where the new hole is.

However some naughty person moved the marker stakes/posts during the night and the hole was laid out in the wrong place.

Dornoch believe that they have now rectified where the hole was originally supposed to have been as per the original design.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Your links courses are so beautiful.

We have long coasts on two great oceans, but the waterfront property is too valuable for development.
We're tearing up golf courses for house lots a lot more than we're building new ones.
Coastal real estate property is much, much more expensive than interior land and no new courses are being built there.

I honestly think that our great game is on the decline here in the US anyway.
Suprised you havn't made the pilgrimage, asp as you are a member at a Donald Ross course

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think the design for the new clubhouse looks pretty smart too, although my lad is not too keen on it, and thinks the location they are building it on could see it catching a few balls.

2nd design, members didn't like the first as it looked like a disused tin mine from the back.

as for too close, i think the downside to the old CH was it was too far away from the 18th green, no atmosphere when you are finishing as the club is 150 yards away.

so the new one closer is a good thing IMO, though i'm not 100% sure if it means losing the 1st on the Struie as that was one of the orig holes on the Championship.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The local legend/history states that when the course was laid out the hole was supposed to have been built where the new hole is.

However some naughty person moved the marker stakes/posts during the night and the hole was laid out in the wrong place.

Dornoch believe that they have now rectified where the hole was originally supposed to have been as per the original design.
i don't the old 7th was on the orig layout, i could be wrong but i thought it only went as far as the 6th and some of the holes now on the Strue were orig holes 1st, 2nd 18.. as i say could be wrong.

i though the 7th was a great hole, was SI 1 until it was changed to foxy a couple years ago.

only downside to the new hole is you could be having a drink at the bothy at the 10th and some yank thins it though the back of 7 and takes you out:ROFLMAO:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Knew I had read/been told that previously when I was told about the proposed changes to the 7th hole at RD.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Knew I had read/been told that previously when I was told about the proposed changes to the 7th hole at RD.

ah right when they built the new holes rather than way back, i can see the point with the 8th it could do with being longer TBH, most can get down the hill even from the back tee unless its a strong easterly (not the prev wind which is a south W)